S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D ok guys and gals, i have a 1998 4.3 vortech s10 4 door 4wheel drive Blazer.. Yeah.. Go Chevy.. N E Ways... i want to know what i can do to the motor and or tranny in order to haul my boat without a problem.. i am running 4/10 gear ratio on Diffs. and running 33x12.5 R 15 tires.. 6in lift.. and ill tell you running with the larger tires all ready makes it slower or should i say has les highway power but still fine for trails and rocks.. :cool:

so let me know what you peeps come up with i have a 4.3 sitting in my garage waiting to get worked on and dropped in..

Attachments

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
Since you have a spare motor you can do with what you please. On something that new, I'd swap for the marine intake to start with. Gonna make tuning so much nicer. Since your towing a boat you have two choices I'd go with a flat top 10.1 to 10.5 to 1 compression piston if you wanna stay all motor. Or go about 8 to 8.5 and throw a charger on it if you wanna spend that kind of money. Once you decide that call comp for a custom ground cam. You need to know which way your going as far as compression so they can set it up to the right specs. Trans wise at minimum when its tuned have them recalibrate the shift point to firm them up to get rid of slippage as best as possible or install a shift-kit to do the same. Last but not least a complete computer tune, to make everything work the way it's expose to and get the power to the ground.

·
Been around the block
2,062 Posts
Looks like an aluminum boat, so not real heavy....maybe 2500#. You lost a ton of mechanical advantage with the huge tires....so, unless you're willing to swap them for smaller, you can go with a steeper rear end (4:56?).
An external trans cooler (bigger IS better) is always a good addition, but MOST importantly, DO NOT TOW IN OVERDRIVE....always use 3rd gear or you'll heat up & burn the trans fluid causing a trans failure down the road..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts