S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about adding a limited slip differential to my 97 Sonoma and was wondering what brand I should go with. Also, when I add the lsd, I was thinking about changing my gears to either 3.42 or 3.73 (have 3.08). Any suggestions on what and where to buy these would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The best deal on the LSD...

is the Zexel-Torsen Camaro take outs that SLP sells for $99. You can get the gears from them also but you might find them for less elsewhere. You do need at least a 3.23 gear set 28 spline axles (which you have with a '97) and 7.5 or 7.625 rear end for the Zexel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: The best deal on the LSD...

blueskyjack said:
You do need at least a 3.23 gear set 28 spline axles (which you have with a '97) and 7.5 or 7.625 rear end for the Zexel.
How can I find out if I have a 7.5" or 7.625" rear end?

·
ZQ8 Sonoma Owner
91 Posts
You can tell if you have a 7.5/7.625" rear vs. an 8.5" rear by looking at the rear end itself. The cover on the 8.5" rear is perfectly round, and the tubes flare up before they enter the pumpkin. There are also two small peices of metal that are on the bottom of the pumpkin. If they are coming out diagonally, its a 7.5/7.625. If they are coming out horizontally, its an 8.5" rear. Hope that helps.

Greg G.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You definately don't have...

a 7.5 on a '97. The 7.625 and 8.5 difference is described correct above. Don't just think about changing from 3.08s. You must if you wish to use the Zexel. I believe you need at least 3.23s up to 3.73s. I'm not sure but don't think you can use 4.10-4.11s with the standard Zexel Camaro take-out from SLP.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

for all the info, guys. I knew that I had to switch my gears, but I was trying to decide between the 3.42 or the 3.73. The guys at SLP have been helpful, too. Now I just have to find a mechanic around here (NC) that will work with parts that I bought (have had 6 mechanics tell me they won't install anything that they did not buy).

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Gears

I would go with the 3.73 ratio. I had them in my 96SS and really
liked them, My gas milage even went up, didn't have to lean on the pedal as hard.:thumbup:

·
251 Posts
computer

Forgot to tell you that you will need the HPP3 to reset the computer for the new gear ratio.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
was thinking the same thing

but the guys at SLP said to go with the 3.42's since most of my driving was on the highway. Still thinking about putting in the 3.73's though. Already have the hpp III, so that is no problem.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
I have 3.42's and am looking to get 3.73's, btw I drive hwy too. As it is now it doesnt shift in to OD until 85-90mph.. I cant see having it shift at 75 being a problem. Course thats just a guess but at 3.42 its pretty tall.

·
251 Posts
I run 4.10 gears in my truck and i still do a lot of hiway driving.
Last year i went to bike week in Daytona, Pulling a trailer with
to 600lb bikes and a bed load of stuff i still got 23 mph. You
have to realize that in OD the gear ratio really drops. I had my
cruise set at 72 to 75 mph all the way. Its 1000 mi from my
house to Daytona. The truck pulled the load no sweat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 3.08's in my 94 S10 Blazer with a CPI, I ran a 16.27 best time....now if I get a Zexel Torsen LSD with 3.73's how would it help me in my 1/4 mile times and would I be able to install it in my rear end....my truck is a 2wd....AARON

·
Registered
71 Posts
oh and will I have to reprogram my computer when i get the new gears???

·
Registered
43 Posts
help with gear install

I am preatty sure there are some s10 guys in the NC area that would be willing to help ya out, go check out www.s10extemist.com and ask those guys. That is a 4x4 s10 website, so gear changes are really common for those guys. If you need advice on anything else, ask for Mark Hall, he knows it all about s10's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yep, thats the one. thanks feetdry

·
Registered
46 Posts
Zexel-Torson Camaro take-outs from SLP? Sorry for my ignorance but can you elaborate a little? What's SLP. I have a 96 Sonoma 4.3 with Hypertech III. I got a set of 3.73's in a box but I was told the posi or limited slip "chunk" would run me about $500! If I can get it for $99, I'll buy one today! Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
SLP is a company that makes performance products for GM. SLP is the company that changes the Z28 into the SS. To do a gear install, you will need a shim package, and an install package. The chunk that you are reffering to may be the carrier. On most cars, to go from say, a 3.08 to a 3.73 or 4.11, you have to get a diffrent carrier that will hold the diffrent gears. $500 sounds a bit steep for a new carrier, but I could be wrong. Call Randys Ring&Pinion. I have never got bad results from them, and I have always gotten good prices and great service. 1-877-347-5420, or www.ringpinion.com

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Rich J. said:
Zexel-Torson Camaro take-outs from SLP? Sorry for my ignorance but can you elaborate a little? What's SLP. I have a 96 Sonoma 4.3 with Hypertech III. I got a set of 3.73's in a box but I was told the posi or limited slip "chunk" would run me about $500! If I can get it for $99, I'll buy one today! Thanks for any help.
The reason it's cheap is because it is a takeout from a factory F-body, meaning it's used. Still very effective. Good for over 300hp(does not add any :D). I'm very happy with mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts