S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
knifehandle.FT.trickery
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive got an MTX 421d.. the birth sheet says 351watts rms @ 2 ohm.. my question isnt about that.. ha.. I plan on running JL 10w3v2's and am wondering whether it would be more beneficial to run one, in a ported box and let it get the full power of the amp OR run two in a sealed box and have each get the halved amount.. i think thats it for now

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
single, ported, in the right size enclosure.

·
knifehandle.FT.trickery
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was thinking.. im just at submission to all you audio gods that know trucks

·
12,507 Posts
HA...im a n00b, but ive had a little tutoring from the gods around here.

·
knifehandle.FT.trickery
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha glad to see were in the same boat.. i always come on and read the page length posts and watnot.. but anywho is there any reason you can tell me that the single/ported would be better? just able to play a larger range of frequencies and get the full power of the amp?

·
12,507 Posts
pretty much, and the fact that a correctly-built ported box almost always sounds better than a sealed box. but a ported box is likely going to be larger than a sealed, so it also depends on the space you have to work with.

·
knifehandle.FT.trickery
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i was shopping for a sonoma i orignally opted for an ext cab, mainly for the sound options.. then found a good deal on a 2000 reg cab with everything that i wanted.. so yea i have a 2000 sonoma reg cab and im short(5'8.5) with a 28 inch inseam.. needless to say to be able to push the clutch in i need to sit a good 3 clicks foward from the back anyways

·
12,507 Posts
you could go wiat a ported box then, with the sub behind the passenger seat. id check the website for recommended vented box sizes and tuning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
if you have the room go ported go ported. if you have the one sub being pushed at its rms it would make more sense to vent it. one vented sub is just as good as two sealed. save your money and dont buy the extra sub.

·
Registered
25 Posts
also since it is regular cab put it behind the passenger seat. because there is no steering wheel to worry about. one ported 10w3v2 ported will prob have a box size of 1.5 ft.^3 so just put the passenger seat as far up as you want. and remember to check jl's site about the size of the box because i am not sure

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1994 ss, diamond audio 6.5 components, audiobahn 4.6's, 2 10 inch comp vr's, pheonix gold 8.0:4

·
knifehandle.FT.trickery
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the jl site says 1.00-1.50 foot^3.. so i dont think ill have a problem with space at all

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Ported :D

Finally got my friend to go ported, he's believed sealed is better for the last 4 or 5 years. I couldn't believe how excited he was after we finished his box and he got to hear it. Ported boxes kick ass when properly built. I'd rather have a single ported sub properly powered than a pair of underpowered sealed subs.

·
knifehandle.FT.trickery
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
adam.. i see on you car domain site that your box is ported with a plug.. how did you manage to make the plug..

id be intrested to hear the difference between a ported and sealed the same size/same box, and think it would be snazzy all in the same bit..

·
12,507 Posts
well, the ported and sealed box COULD be the same size, but since sealed enclosuees are usually more efficient when smaller, i think a better test would be a sub in a properly sized sealed vs a properly sized and tuned vented box.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Yeah, the box is a touch big for sealed and a touch small for ported. It sucks sealed. I played with some test tones to other day, running with the port open blows away running sealed from 30 hz to about 60 hz, then they are even. Below 30 hz the ported setup unloads and has basically no output, but the F3 on the sealed box is so high that there is no output that low for it either. So I ALWAYS run it ported. I'm thinking of upping the tune to ~38 hz for more output.

I bought the plug at the hardware store, it's just a pipe plug, cost about $5.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts