S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 S10 base all stock 1/4 mile hot rod.
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked to post a thread about my build. So here goes. It has been a one piece at a time kind of build. (I think the guys at Summit know me by name by now ha ha) I wanted to end up with a reliable 10 second street car so that was my goal. I found the truck (98 S10) as a roller already back halfed so that saved me a bunch of work. The welds were good but that is about it. Nothing was right. The truck need to be completely redone mechanically. For the engine I used a GM 400 block bored to a 406. It got billet 4 bolt main caps with splayed outer bolts. Smoothed and coated inside for oil return. The rotating assembly is eagle crank and rods, JE -15 forged pistons and a custom blower grind Herbert solid roller cam. 630 lift and 270 duration at .050.The oil pan is a kicked out low profile 7 quart oil pan so with the filter and cooler it holds 8 quarts. The cooler is a 19 pass Mitsimoto. I topped it off with a set of Dart iron eagle 64cc port matched heads for a compression ratio of 9.2 to 1. The rockers are Crane rollers with 1.6 ratio on the intakes and 1.5 on the exhaust. (an old circle track trick) A set of stud girdles holds everything in place. That is all fed through a Quick fuel 950 carb on top of a 192 roots blower from The Blower Shop. It makes 10 pounds of boost and right at 700 hp. Ignition is an MSD pro Billet distributor and a MSD 6-AL box through a MSD boost timing master to control timing under boost. Cooling is handled by an aluminum double row radiator and two Derale 2100 CFM 2 speed fans for a total of 4200 CFM. I took the thermostat apart and used the plate as a restrictor and ran braided hose from the rear of intake to the front to help with hot spots in the back of the block. It will run all day in 90* weather and never get over 190* I had to move the cab forward 1/2" to make it fit but there is room in the mounts to slide it and the front forward. The exhaust is all ceramic coated including a set of 1 3/4 tube Hedman shorty swap headers with 3 inch collectors and pipe through race mufflers exiting through the bed sides in front of the rear tires. (It is loud and obnoxious) Engine will turn 8000+ rpm but the cam is done at 7600. I shift it between 6500 and 7000.
The trans is an AFI turbo 350 with an SFI approved bell housing and manual valve body and a 2500 stall converter. Shifter is a Hurst 1/4 stick. The rear is a fabricated 9" housing with 4.11 gears and a spool. A 4 link holds it all in place. Air ride in the back lets me adjust ride height and soften suspension so the truck can squat for weight transfer on the fly. Brakes are Wilwood with a line lock on the fronts and a corvette manual master cylinder. Tires are Mickey Thompson 33x19.5 15 in back and matching front runners in front. 26x7.50 15. Wheels are Weld Pro Star 15x15 in rear and 15x5 in front. It has been a fun build and is finally at a point where I feel I have achieved my initial goal. I doubt it will ever be completely done. Seems like there is always something to do next. Hence the name.. One dime at a time. Here are some pics.
thumbnail_image1[1].jpg
00U0U_adDqPg2NLLs_600x450[1].jpg
IMG_3312.JPG
thumbnail_image2[1] (2).jpg
thumbnail_image1[1] (3).jpg
thumbnail_image1[1].jpg
00U0U_adDqPg2NLLs_600x450[1].jpg
IMG_3312.JPG
thumbnail_image2[1] (2).jpg
thumbnail_image1[1] (3).jpg
IMG_3336.JPG
motor.jpg
101667795_3040382002748629_6258943844893589504_n[1].jpg
Video_Moment(4).jpg
pair.jpg
IMG_3336.JPG
motor.jpg
101667795_3040382002748629_6258943844893589504_n[1].jpg
Video_Moment(4).jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet. Motor is just now broke in and switched to synthetic oil. Hope to get it to the track before summer ends.

·
Old Fart
3,806 Posts
Yes, this is a beautiful truck and you obviously have more disposable income than I do. For a street truck, I lean more towards "Pro Touring" than "Pro Street". If I had the money my extended cab Xtreme would be my street truck and I would build a dedicated race truck similar to yours only with turbo LS power to run in the 7 second range. 😉

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disposable income... Not so much. I sold a couple of my other toys to finance this build. By the way... Your Extreme is gorgeous.

·
Old Fart
3,806 Posts
Thanks! Even though I'm not a fan of street vehicles with engines sticking through the hood, I love your truck, so nicely done. The only way I would sell any of my other toys would be to sell my 57 to buy the 55 of my dreams since a 55 Belair was my first car when I was in high school.

I'm jealous of your big shop too, I need to clean mine so I have room to do my swap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Even though I'm not a fan of street vehicles with engines sticking through the hood, I love your truck, so nicely done. The only way I would sell any of my other toys would be to sell my 57 to buy the 55 of my dreams since a 55 Belair was my first car when I was in high school.

I'm jealous of your big shop too, I need to clean mine so I have room to do my swap.
I have been looking for the right cowl hood and so far no luck. 4 inch is a tad too small and a 6 inch is ugly. I had a couple late model Harley’s that were gathering dust since my neck surgery so I sold them.

·
Old Fart
3,806 Posts
I have been looking for the right cowl hood and so far no luck. 4 inch is a tad too small and a 6 inch is ugly. I had a couple late model Harley’s that were gathering dust since my neck surgery so I sold them.
You will probably have to do something custom, either cut down a 6 inch or raise a 4 inch I would think.

·
Old Fart
3,806 Posts
I think I would pick a 4 inch that I liked and cut it and raise it until it clears. Fiberglass is fairly easy to work with if you take your time.

The guy that built this hood might be able to help you out as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can do it but that is just not the look I am after.. I may end up with a different air cleaner set up to keep the cowl hood lower. OCD kicking in.. LOL

·
Old Fart
3,806 Posts
Originally I was going to get a 2 inch cowl hood but I decided to keep it closer to stock to be more of a sleeper. I don't care for the taller hoods either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I won`t get away with no cowl hood. Period. I am thinking I might get away with a 1 5/8" drop base air cleaner, a 2 5/16" air cleaner with a 3/4" flow through top. That should put my air cleaner roughly 1 3/4" above carb base. Might be able to work with a 2" hood with slight modification.. Might...

·
Old Fart
3,806 Posts
Worth a try! :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been asked to post a thread about my build. So here goes. It has been a one piece at a time kind of build. (I think the guys at Summit know me by name by now ha ha) I wanted to end up with a reliable 10 second street car so that was my goal. I found the truck (98 S10) as a roller already back halfed so that saved me a bunch of work. The welds were good but that is about it. Nothing was right. The truck need to be completely redone mechanically. For the engine I used a GM 400 block bored to a 406. It got billet 4 bolt main caps with splayed outer bolts. Smoothed and coated inside for oil return. The rotating assembly is eagle crank and rods, JE -15 forged pistons and a custom blower grind Herbert solid roller cam. 630 lift and 270 duration at .050.The oil pan is a kicked out low profile 7 quart oil pan so with the filter and cooler it holds 8 quarts. The cooler is a 19 pass Mitsimoto. I topped it off with a set of Dart iron eagle 64cc port matched heads for a compression ratio of 9.2 to 1. The rockers are Crane rollers with 1.6 ratio on the intakes and 1.5 on the exhaust. (an old circle track trick) A set of stud girdles holds everything in place. That is all fed through a Quick fuel 950 carb on top of a 192 roots blower from The Blower Shop. It makes 10 pounds of boost and right at 700 hp. Ignition is an MSD pro Billet distributor and a MSD 6-AL box through a MSD boost timing master to control timing under boost. Cooling is handled by an aluminum double row radiator and two Derale 2100 CFM 2 speed fans for a total of 4200 CFM. I took the thermostat apart and used the plate as a restrictor and ran braided hose from the rear of intake to the front to help with hot spots in the back of the block. It will run all day in 90* weather and never get over 190* I had to move the cab forward 1/2" to make it fit but there is room in the mounts to slide it and the front forward. The exhaust is all ceramic coated including a set of 1 3/4 tube Hedman shorty swap headers with 3 inch collectors and pipe through race mufflers exiting through the bed sides in front of the rear tires. (It is loud and obnoxious) Engine will turn 8000+ rpm but the cam is done at 7600. I shift it between 6500 and 7000.
The trans is an AFI turbo 350 with an SFI approved bell housing and manual valve body and a 2500 stall converter. Shifter is a Hurst 1/4 stick. The rear is a fabricated 9" housing with 4.11 gears and a spool. A 4 link holds it all in place. Air ride in the back lets me adjust ride height and soften suspension so the truck can squat for weight transfer on the fly. Brakes are Wilwood with a line lock on the fronts and a corvette manual master cylinder. Tires are Mickey Thompson 33x19.5 15 in back and matching front runners in front. 26x7.50 15. Wheels are Weld Pro Star 15x15 in rear and 15x5 in front. It has been a fun build and is finally at a point where I feel I have achieved my initial goal. I doubt it will ever be completely done. Seems like there is always something to do next. Hence the name.. One dime at a time. Here are some pics. View attachment 341780 View attachment 341781 View attachment 341782 View attachment 341783 View attachment 341784 View attachment 341780 View attachment 341781 View attachment 341782 View attachment 341783 View attachment 341784 View attachment 341786 View attachment 341787 View attachment 341788 View attachment 341789 View attachment 341790 View attachment 341786 View attachment 341787 View attachment 341788 View attachment 341789
Very nice and clean install.

·
Old Fart
3,806 Posts
Much cleaner look! I can't wait to see it painted. :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts