S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, I cleaned off all of the grounds when I had the engine tore apart, BUT instead of being lazy I went out and recleaned them all. I found one I missed under the battery tray. Unfortanately the problem persists! I feel like this is a ground issue as well, I've had nearly the same problem on a tractor before. How many grounds are there on the frame rail? I've nailed the one on the rear driver's side twice. It holds one white and one black wire. I've even rewrapped the trailer light harness twice. Ugh. I also hit my head on my tail gate sooo I'm twice as frustrated now lol.

·
Electrical Mod
56,117 Posts
Don't forget to check the splice packs, or eliminate them. They are a green connector with several wires and 1 wire grounded. They are notorious for getting corroded.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You know what, I am going to eliminate it. It was filthy before I took it apart and cleaned it so maybe the inside is nothing but filth and corrossion. Thanks for the quick replies, you're keeping me motivated at this point.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That didn't work, but it did change some things. My brake lights work right now, even if the head lights are on. No tail lights though. Flashers work, unless I press the break which makes the tail lights stay on, but dim. Turn signals are flashing on BOTH sides at the SAME time, but now they alternate from the large bulbs to the small bulbs. If I press the break while either turn signal is on, it does the same thing as when the flashers are on.

·
Electrical Mod
56,117 Posts
I'm getting confused trying to figure what it's doing, so do this for me. Test the circuit as follows.

With the Headlights and Parking Lights Off-
Do the turn signals/flashers work correctly? do the brake lights work?

With ONLY the Parking lights on-
Do the parking lights all light up correctly? Do the turn signals/flashers work correctly? do the brake lights work?

With the headlights ON-
Do the parking lights all light up correctly? Do the turn signals/flashers work correctly? do the brake lights work?

Also, have you changed any of the lights recently, I've seen a bad/wrong bulb cause odd issues and even bad connectors make things quirky.

·
Registered
139 Posts
With the headlights and parking lights off, only the breaks and flashers work.

With the parking lights on, the front lights work, the rears do not. The breaks work and flashers work.

With the headlights on, the front lights work, the rears do not. The breaks work and flashers work.

The turn signals go crazy throughout all those steps.

I've changed all the bulbs

·
Registered
139 Posts
All of the bulbs are correct. The flashers work unless I press on the brake pedal, that makes them stick on, but makes them dim. I'm thinking about replacing the headlight switch next.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm at a complete loss then. I'm honestly thinking about rewiring the entire rear light harness myself to eliminate the possibility of a snagged wire being the issue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Okay. Here's something odd. With the truck off, if I leave the turn signal switch on and press the brake, only one brake light will brighten. It switches sides according to the position of the turn signal switch. Could I have purchased a defective Multi-function switch? Maybe that is STILL my problem?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Now my cluster lights have stopped working. This HAS to be a ground issue somewhere. I'm going to go crazy on it tomorrow, stick it up on jack stands in the barn and trace EVERY wire to its end point or ground or connector

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are still having this problem try running a ground right from the negative side of the battery all the way back to the tail light ground just to see if it fixes the problem. (we used cheap speaker wire because it was handy) My Sons truck had the exact same problem that you described in your first post and not only did the brakes/tail lights act up but the fuel pump wasn't getting a good enough ground. We fixed his by running a new ground wire from the - battery terminal to the frame below the battery.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am still having the issue, but my heater core exploded. I think it has been leaking for a long while. When I remove the dash I'm going to look over all the wiring and grounds up on the firewall really well. I get the feeling it's up there, since the problem has only gotten worse. I will try your idea also, I've got enough wire laying around. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
139 Posts
Okay so I had my dashboard out today and honestly there wasn't much damage from the heater core leak, other then the excessive rot on the floor board. I've been exploring the wiring diagrams and I'm a little confused. On the diagram it shows a lot of the grounds going to the left and right cylinder heads, which is correct on my 4.3, but my 96 s10 has a 2.2 so where are these grounds going?! Are they behind the engine on the firewall or something? I didn't connect any ground wires to my cylinder head, I'm sure. Help please. Lol.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts