S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2000 s10 pickup. I am not getting voltage to the brake light/signal on the driver side. Passenger side and front lights all work fine The parking light (same bulb) works fine - does this info eliminate grounding and switch related problems because the parking lights and other brake lights are working?

Are there separate fuses for right and left sides? The turn signal blinks fast indicating problem with bulb. Bulb is fine and I have confirmed no voltage. Not sure how to proceed with troubleshooting. I would like to check the easy solutions before looking at the wires.

Thanks for help

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had the same problem on mine. Left side wouldnt work with a good bulb. Turned out to be a bad wire in the harness under the bed. If somebody else doesnt come up with a better solution then do what I did and just take the tail light out, let the bulbs hang down with the brakes applied and get under the truck and start wiggling wires to find the messed up wire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
check ya switch in teh truck i had the same prob. and turned out to be teh directianl switch i didn't avea r/r break light nore the directinal and was the switch adn wasn't cheap got my from GM and cost me 300 but had no choice cause i crashed my truck 4weeks ago but got it back so check the switch in ya truck its a project but check it there hope could help you

·
Air ride & Audio
2,816 Posts
check ya switch in teh truck i had the same prob. and turned out to be teh directianl switch i didn't avea r/r break light nore the directinal and was the switch adn wasn't cheap got my from GM and cost me 300 but had no choice cause i crashed my truck 4weeks ago but got it back so check the switch in ya truck its a project but check it there hope could help you
gtfo

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
300 for a switch haha funny, what a dumby lol.

if no lights are dim then its probably not ground issue.

try testing wire before socket to see if its good. to see if its just a bad socket

usually a bad multi function switch assembly causes loss of both brake lights., never seen it cause only one to fail.

check wiringing rear, all splices plugs etc have someone watch the lights as you mess with them.

·
no longer has a 95
1,883 Posts
if it was a ground the parking lamp wouldnt work either, would it?

check the wiring good from the bulb to the multifunction switch. could be a broken wire or a bad connection

could also be the multifunction switch or the hazard switch, it is possible for one side to work and the other sid not work if the multifunction switch or the hazard switch fails

·
carolinatruckscene.com
3,162 Posts
I had the same problem on mine. Left side wouldnt work with a good bulb. Turned out to be a bad wire in the harness under the bed. If somebody else doesnt come up with a better solution then do what I did and just take the tail light out, let the bulbs hang down with the brakes applied and get under the truck and start wiggling wires to find the messed up wire.
I would start with this.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
The problem I found on my 98 Sonoma was the wiring harness on the drivers rear frame rail. It has a green junction connector where the wires plug in. This is right where snow accumulates in the winter and causes the connections to corrode and the terminals rust off or break.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Find the short causing the light to blow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
that was the most terrible english i have ever read...and to think that you drive. oh my god. gtfo and take an english class.

·
Works too much!
4,679 Posts
that was the most terrible english i have ever read...and to think that you drive. oh my god. gtfo and take an english class.
Zeeke is correct. The green junction blocks are a GM joke. They corrode and cause all kinds of issues with the tail lights. I have eliminated them on 4 tail light harness because of the same issues you are having. I guess Gm figured that they would ruin a good design with the 2nd gens harness. They also figured out that they could make money by selling someone a new tail light harness every few years because of these issues. 1st gens do not use the junction blocks and they don't have any issues with the tail lights.
With all the tail light issues people have, I have thought about selling an updated harness to eliminate the junction blocks and all there issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On daughters 1999 s10 the driver side break light will work and then not work.
Without moving the truck if you turn the hazard lights on and then hit the break petal a few times and then turn off the hazards and then the break light works.. Then later won't work. Could this be the hazard light switch itself..
Every thing points to it being the problem. I just wanted to get someone Else's opinion. Also if so, could I do that GM Hazard switch repair Kit part # 15174447
fix??
Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
On daughters 1999 s10 the driver side break light will work and then not work.
Without moving the truck if you turn the hazard lights on and then hit the break petal a few times and then turn off the hazards and then the break light works.. Then later won't work. Could this be the hazard light switch itself..
Every thing points to it being the problem. I just wanted to get someone Else's opinion. Also if so, could I do that GM Hazard switch repair Kit part # 15174447
fix??
Thanks!

Bill
PS:

All of the other lights work. Blinkers, Parking, tail light.

·
Registered
139 Posts
On my 96 s10 I'm having a terrible issue with the tail lights, but everything up front is working perfect. My brake lights will only work when the headlights are off. When I turn my turn signal switch on to either direction both tail lights in the rear blink, but very dim. When the headlights are on nothing on the tail lights seems to work. I've replaced the Multi-function switch (which fixed my wipers) and I've replaced the brake light switch, the flasher relay AND the blinker relay. At this point I'm guessing it has to be the wiring in the immediate rear, but if anybody has anything else to add I am all ears.

·
Electrical Mod
56,117 Posts
Check the grounds from the battery to the frame and from the frame to the core support. Also check the grounds on the back of the frame rails. This sounds like a ground issue, and they work as long as there is low power consumption, but with the headlights on, there's more power demand and the ground doesn't have a proper connection. So be sure to check all of the ground wires from the battery.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts