S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is kind of like a vehicle that encountered a sensor problem of somekind then dropped into a default operation mode where gas mileage is poor but driver don't notice much other issue, so keep going.

We got actron tool to read codes. there are none. This tool also provide some information to watch when it is running like sensor values of all kinds.

Has anyone know of a place to lookup up the correct acceptable ranges for the values that get reported to a tool like this?

Low mileage was a shocker since we bought this car after using a '92 Ranger 4.0L and seeing 19mpg average. Were hoping the 2.2L would do better.

Any advice is appreciated. would like to make this truck run like new for a few more years.

More info:

It has 2.2l with the 1.5 obd scan. problems mainly seems to be low gas mileage. average 16mpg city. Got to 19 after one week with a bout 120 miles on the higway. normally just about 250 miles per fill up around 16 gallons.

Most noticable symptom is we start up and 20-30 second later, idle goes a little stumbling like it might stall sometimes. If we don't rev it up, this will settle itself in about a minute. If we rev it up a bit, it seems ok, and when warm it can stop at lights and stuff with no noticable issue. We can notice however that if have it in drive (auto trans) and coast to a light or down a hill, the engine does sort of surge idling.

The other symptom is a little bit odd smelling exhaust. no smoke or steam.

truck is 25 years old, but has 57,000 miles on it, so we figured many things can be worn out and needing replacement.
so far changed:
  • O2 sensor: has only one just above the cat
  • Idle Air Controller: Maybe should clean the hole a little better
  • Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor: swapped with one from a 1994
  • PCV valve
  • Spark pluge
  • Spark wires
  • Air filter
  • Seafoam intake spray cleanout process
  • Several cans injector cleaner in the gas tank
  • Shot around vacuum lines with starter fluid, no strange revving up or like that

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,041 Posts
change fuel filter.check ground wires on back of heads and main ground on battery

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
change fuel filter.check ground wires on back of heads and main ground on battery
we have a filter. buoght it cause we figured the original is 25yold. maybe can change that sooner than later.

any picture of the ground wires? we guessed since the scan tool reported good battery voltages that normal electric connections are doing well.

we expecting to change all the wear and tear / fail sometime items anyway

·
time to get cereal
3,209 Posts
The 2.2L doesn't have grounds on the back of the head. They are on the passenger side of the engine block.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
22 days later there is some success.

Changed the fuel filter after a few days from Jayhawke suggestion. Maybe noticed some mileage improvment but was not sure. Still noticed idle sputter just after startup for sure as well as loping while coasting to the traffic lights or down hill.

I was watching the idle air control on the Acctron and wondered if there was anything to do. Then I found a post on this forum with more instructions to replace it, including to press down the pintle all the way and undo the battery cable for 10 seconds for a computer reset. I did not do that on the first swap.

maybe several days later I removed the idle air control valve (IAC) again and thought the gasket was not correct either. it was not tucked inside the hole but pressed more betewwn the mounting flange and the manifold and squashed flat. I wondered if that made the IAC stretch out farthere than normal. The o-ring was too stretched to fill the gap correctly so I bout a pack of orings from the autozone store and found one that fit very snug in the gap of the hole. it was hard to put in, but i had some electric grease from the battery terminal connection.

After that the numbers on the IAC in Acctron looked a little lower. I was getting confident that mileage was improving too. But still noticed a loping on the coaster to the traffic lights.

Next I was wondering about the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recurilation) valve. So I pressed it up while idling and surely noticed the engint about to die. That is normal. I put a hoes and did a little suction on it too and could knowtice a little idle roughness so it seems like any vacum will work the valve. But I still took it off anyway and shot carbureator cleaner in the path way a few times and oozed it out of the valve in case there is some carbon. Last I put a vacuum tool between hose for EGR valve watched the call for EGR on Acctron and saw increase for vacuum when Acctron asked for 100% EGR. I conclude the EGR is working well.

Also carb cleaner blasted and wiped heavily the throttle plate passage and tube.

After these works, mileage is surely better and the loping is not there. I let off the gas and it goes down to idle and stays smooth on the way to the traffic light. Completed exactly 300 miles and filled up at the station the other day.

This fewelecononmy.gov site indicates truck is estimated by the EPA to get 18 city and 24 highway miles cause of automatic transmission. I wished for better cause I got that with a 4.0L ranger that had manual transmission. Almost regret not taking out the manual trans mision from the parts truck. Oh well.

thanks for the advice. I hope this can help someone in the future with these issues.

Here are numbers for gas mieleage before these works and after.

fill dayprevious mileagefill mileagemilesfill gallonmpgnote
5/2556185586524715.43416
5/23558655608221713.30916.3
6/5560825640131916.33919.5higway driving, even towing parts sonoma around 70 miles
6/27564015670130016.67418.0mostly after work described, EGR near last 5 days and loping was gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
However, still after all that, the idle still bogs down after a few seconds from startup. On Acctron, it is very close the moment of moving from open to closed loop. I will try to study it more for a fture follow up. If warm up a bout a minute the engine goes quite well.

I do hear a ticking like a lifter sticking too though as it warms up.

Mayybe in the futre there will be a head gasket fix cause I see some antifreeze seeping out the back. I flushed and cleaned out and changed the gasket on the back of the EGR pipe and added the Blue Devil sealer. It has been several weeks though so I think Blue Devil did not work well. If I go for head gasket down the road I will also change the lifters.

·
time to get cereal
3,209 Posts
The manual 2.2L doesn't get that much better gas mileage unless you are very nice to it and stay at 55-60 MPH. You can get close to 30MPG, but I can't say I've ever seen less than 20 even driving the crap out of it. Only on E85 do I see less than 20MPG.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts