S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
NOT DONE TO MANY PROBLEMS
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i decided i am going to paint my truck the color of my parts truck, Its hip hop red from Hyundai. Its a really bright straight red. This is my first time painting the truck and was thinking of going with shop line. I don't know if they have this color or not i assume they would but haven't called yet. I did get a price on OMNI for a gallon of base and clear with all the hardeners and reducers would be about $260. Now is a gallon too much? I will be painting everything on the truck, jambs inside of doors and fenders . . . I thought about getting DBC but i asked the guy but just for the base no reducer was $535. he also suggested using a clear that was called finishmaster? not sure if that was the name. He said it does a good job and is easy to shoot and is a little cheaper as everything would be $218. I still have to get sealer but that isn't a problem. thanks

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
shopline is new omni so to speak...

how much it will take depends on the mixing ratio 1:1 ratio would yield you two gallons of sprayable with one gallon of base, a 1:2 however would only yield 1/2, if your spraying everything there is a chance you may not have enough, esp if you dont use a sealer primer, plus it takes more for the lower end paint so to speak to cover

·
Mini Truckin' = Lifestyle
385 Posts
I don't recomend Omni clear but I have used there base plenty of times and I thinks it works great. If you got a gallon you will prolly have some left but better too much then to little.

·
stone the crow...
3,251 Posts
we use omni clear on cheaper jobs in the shop i work at, hell i am going to be spraying some tommorow:D . I found this clear the other day and i have heard good things-
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing Info.htm

SPI products, the stuff looks ok and i have read good things about it. The universal clear is 1 to 1 so thats 2 gallons sprayable and its much cheaper than the stuff you are looking into.

·
Do What Now?
541 Posts
I like Omni stuff I have had good luck with it. But I mostly have used it on interior pieces.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yeah it's a small company and only in certain areas. It only grows by word of mouth, very very little advertising.
I actually came across it on a forum looking for some different products, I gave it a try and liked it.. Had a few other shops try it, and they liked it also, so I started stocking it for them,, next thing I know i'm getting into the paint business with a full line of products.. lol..

I had toad try some primer for me, he said he liked it.. I've had really good luck with it.. I use the turbo primer mostly, but just started using the regular 2k primers just recently as i'm getting cheaper and cheaper in my old age.. I haven't had any problems with that either.

Check out www.bakerpbe.com You can order it from them if no one is in your area, and you can also get most of your other supplies from them also.

I also tried to carry some other primer and clear lines but all my customers liked the spi stuff better, so i'm just sticking with that.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
spi 2k primer rocks......sprays nice,dry sands nice......i can't wait till i have something to use the universal clear on

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with these guys, however, what gun are you using to spray, and where are you spraying it?

If you have never sprayed before I would be cautious if you are NOT going to use a high solids clear. While the cheap stuff is...cheaper, I find it is also easier to run if you lay it on too thick, or hang around in one spot too long.

My advice is get a good gun to spray with and play around a bit with pressures and such. ..the OMNI stuff is cost effective but most of it doesn't cover worth a damn, just base/seal it with something like black or silver.

But i'd use the DT brand of reducers. This is the more expensive reducers, but if you decide to go with any of the more expensive high solids clears you won't have compatibility/reaction issues. I like the medium reducer or DT885, but I am an airbrush guy, so if I use anything too fast it just turns to dust in the air, cause it atomizes too quick.

good luck on the paint job.

·
NOT DONE TO MANY PROBLEMS
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, i will probably end up getting shop line. There is a local body guy that can get it for me really cheap like 40% off or something. He wanted me to get DBC but i cannot afford that. I figure shop line will do fine for my first full paint job and if i mess it up i won't have to pay too much to fix it. thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you have never sprayed before I would be cautious if you are NOT going to use a high solids clear. While the cheap stuff is...cheaper, I find it is also easier to run if you lay it on too thick, or hang around in one spot too long.

My advice is get a good gun to spray with and play around a bit with pressures and such. ..the OMNI stuff is cost effective but most of it doesn't cover worth a damn, just base/seal it with something like black or silver.

Spi clears are high solids. Very high quality, but small company.

I'd stay away from omni if I were you..

The dt reducers are a high quality reducer to use in most bases, but don't use in a base that requires a reactive reducer.
It might be fine but if you have a problem you won't like it..

But I would say to go with shopline over omni from what i've been hearing it is better.
Plus it is actually a base instead of a converted enamel.:D

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
I agree with these guys, however, what gun are you using to spray, and where are you spraying it?

But i'd use the DT brand of reducers. This is the more expensive reducers, but if you decide to go with any of the more expensive high solids clears you won't have compatibility/reaction issues. I like the medium reducer or DT885, but I am an airbrush guy, so if I use anything too fast it just turns to dust in the air, cause it atomizes too quick.

good luck on the paint job.
yeah......good luck with this paint job,listening to this guy:haha:

keep it in the family!!!!!!

primer/base/clear////REDUCER...etc!

IDK what it is.....if you want a lasting paint job(even on a budget) keep it to one system!!!!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
He had me a little confused on that one toad.. Didnt' make the most sense to me..
but you do know that I have a hobby of mixing brands.. lol..
I can't remember the last paint job where I used one brand all the way through..
:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have been painting/airbrushing for over 15 yrs. I do NOT encourage mixing brands...however, with that said I have used Omni in the past, but mainly used DBC.

Our shop has been converted to DuPont-so it's what we use now. I have used DBC, DBU, Omni...etc, bla bla bla.

The ONLY constant in using Omni-or Shopline (i'm not familliar with Shopline, I am assuming it is ppg base also???) will be reducers-IF you go with a more expensive High Solids clear-like 2001 or something.

Yes keep it in the family, but I have used Omni bases, with DBC, 2001-2002 clears, using DT reducer as THE ONLY REDUCER all the way through, and NOT EVER had compatibility issues.

When you get into 8-12 color graphic jobs, I like using up old paint...(before it gets too old). And then pinstriping over open base, and not have any wrinkling-or re-activation issues...a single color should be a breeze.

I've never had problems...i'm just trying to let him know to stay within the PPG family for all his products. I prefer the DT reducer over the Omni reducer...that is all...sorry if I made that sound complicated, it wasn't my intention.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
well....i got a few years over you and i've done the whole mix and match thing just like any other experienced painter

it's just not good to give out that kind of advice to INEXPERIENCED people as next thing you know they'll be using drr reducer in their clear because somebody said it was ok to mix and match on here.

keep this in mind......MOST people in this sub-forum have no clue about paint so when they ask questions they need to be sent down the proper path.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's the part I don't get? Where did I say to mix and match? Isn't OMNI made by PPG???

It IS the same family, so there is NO mix and match. What are you talking about?

Maybe I am missing something here, if so please explain, because I don't understand your rant?

I am by no means a smart ass know it all...holla back.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts