S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and read through some posts. I have a 283 from a 63 impala. I'll have to go get the numbers for you guys if needed. I looked them up once. Just basic 283. Heads are the smaller valve 283 307 327 heads. I thnk it was 195 hp motor?

I want to do a budget rebuild on it. Put into my daily driver and eventually transplant it into a hot rod or kustom.
I would like to bore it .060. What else should I do? Nothing super strong. Just a nice economy build with a 4barrel carb that will get me were I need to go?
Thanks guys.
I'm going thursday to sit down with a engine builder and talk over what I want.

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Why are you going .060 over with it?

What are your goals?

How much do you have to spend?

·
Lightning Drivin Ninja
1,952 Posts
blackLS1 said:
I searched and read through some posts. I have a 283 from a 63 impala. I'll have to go get the numbers for you guys if needed. I looked them up once. Just basic 283. Heads are the smaller valve 283 307 327 heads. I thnk it was 195 hp motor?

I want to do a budget rebuild on it. Put into my daily driver and eventually transplant it into a hot rod or kustom.
I would like to bore it .060. What else should I do? Nothing super strong. Just a nice economy build with a 4barrel carb that will get me were I need to go?
Thanks guys.
I'm going thursday to sit down with a engine builder and talk over what I want.
If you wanna stay old school with it, put the topend off the L79 327 on it. Throw in a bigger bumpstick and you're done. I've got that exact motor sitting on a stand at my parents house, it cost under a grand to build.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
203Cree said:
If you wanna stay old school with it, put the topend off the L79 327 on it. Throw in a bigger bumpstick and you're done. I've got that exact motor sitting on a stand at my parents house, it cost under a grand to build.
Thats kinda the idea I had. I want to go with a head with smaller valves due to the smaller bore of the 283.

I have been reading posts on other forums and they talked about how they used to make 301sbc in the 60s. They bored the 283 block out .125 for a 4inch bore. They called them 301s Chevy called them 302.
.060 is half way between stock and the 301. I may just go with a .030 though just depends.

I'm not looking for a hot sbc combo. Just something that will be fun to drive in the S10 and will last for awhile. I have the 283 and I'm trying to keep it to a budget

·
gtfo now
1,610 Posts
blackLS1 said:
Thats kinda the idea I had. I want to go with a head with smaller valves due to the smaller bore of the 283.

I have been reading posts on other forums and they talked about how they used to make 301sbc in the 60s. They bored the 283 block out .125 for a 4inch bore. They called them 301s Chevy called them 302.
.060 is half way between stock and the 301. I may just go with a .030 though just depends.

I'm not looking for a hot sbc combo. Just something that will be fun to drive in the S10 and will last for awhile. I have the 283 and I'm trying to keep it to a budget
Don't bore it any more than it needs for the block to clean up. Boring the motor shouldn't be used as a quick fix to small displacement. If you want more displacement, go with a bigger motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts