S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys a buddy of mine has an older (late 80s) blazer rearend...i have a 94 sonoma without posi and it sux....i was wondering if itll bolt up i knw it might be wider but what bout anitlock and does ne1 have the older codes so i can see if it has posi..its 4x4 so most likley it does. but i hate one wheel wonder bake shows....i have 3:08's and a GU4 code (non posi) thanks a bunch guys:banghead:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that gave me the codes thanks but what about fittin it in. will the older rearend work? roughfly. might be wider but what about sensors and stuff...thanks man....

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
Do you know whether the Blazer has a locking or limited slip differential? Just because it came from a 4x4, does NOT mean it came equipped with one. For the sake of arguement, if it did come with one, chances are it no longer functions based on the age and amount of abuse.

If I were you, I'd forget about doing the swap and put a "lunchbox" locker in your existing carrier. It takes about an hour and eliminates all the guess work.

Checkout www.powertrax.com and www.tractech.com for the products.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know if might not be a limited slip but its my old blazer drivetrain so i know its limited slip...locks when u need it and slips when u dont..i just wanted to know the codes to see what gears i got....but whats a "luch box" eaxcatly and the rear end still works great never beet on it or anything no reason why it is dead now. but the quetions still remains....will it work? i dont mind doing some custom work to it i havce the works..bridgeport lathe plenty of steal and i know alot of the guys at the junkyard but roughfly will it work?

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
So what you are saying is you want to replace your current differential housing with one that is older and has more miles on it? I assure you that if the '89 had a limited slip or gov-lok carrier, its now junk and needs to be rebuilt. Regardless of the abuse, the functionality is gone after 100k miles. If the old housing has been sitting outside for a few years, the fluid has probably solidified not to mention the seals and bearings that are probably worn. If all you want is a locking differential, it would be much easier to drop in a lock-right. All you have to do is replace the contents of your existing carrier with the powertrax unit. Go to the websites I mentioned and take a look at the instructions!

If you are dead set on swapping out the housing, have the old one rebuilt. It will probably cost around $500 but the time you save will be worth it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks....but will it fit? the blazer still drives...sumwhat....tranny wont go into 3rd...but..i pulled a holeshot in the mud with it and it still works....i dont wanna sound like i am dissing u guys cuz im not i just dont have that much money to do this and if i could just swap them that would be great i am only 17 and dont have a full time job and i have a bike to maintain too...again thanks guys

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
I am not sure what's involved but there are a few components to consider before staring the procedure:

driveshaft length
yoke configuration
e-brake linkage
spring perch location
brake lines

If the brake lines are old or rusty, plan on replacing them. You could end up replacing the lines all the way to the master cylinder.
Don't forget to bleed the lines afterwards.

I'm not sure how you determined that the Blazer has a functioning limited slip differential. Both wheels will spin on an open carrier if they have equal resistance. Try planting one side on mud/snow/ice and the other on dry pavement. I assure you that after 100k+ miles, its an open carrier regardless of how it started out as.

Take it apart and try it out. Worst case scenario, you'll be putting the original rearend back in. At least you will have learned something.

Regardless of your age, experience and financial status, some things cost money to accomplish. This is one of them. Its not going to be free because you will encounter problems that you didn't anticipate such as a broken bolt or rusty brake line. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks...now thats what i was looking for....the ABS isnt in the lines its in the master cylinder so that wont matter as long as it has drums right?

·
Autocross'n Member
363 Posts

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
Considering that he plans to put a 14 y/o axle housing without performing any upgrades to it, I think the spline count is going to be the least of his worries. If he goes with the Zexel, he'll still need to purchase bearings and the shim kit. Installation is about $250 unless he tries to do it himself. This is not going to be an easy/cheap project.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the zexel wont work with the GU4 code because its 3.08 gears

1 - 12 of 12 Posts