S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, even though I, and many of my friends have told her......she doesn't want me to get nitrous but she wants to help me get a V8 for the old 4 banger S-10......she thinks nitrous is going to blow the truck up or something and she wants me to get used to having power rather than a sudden kick of power when I needed it....ahhh whatever

I have a 98 S-10 4 banger, and I'm looking at an Lt1 since I've heard this is the most direct swap.....soooo, with that in mind, what kind of cars can I look for with this engine??

I know I'm going to need to get the whole computer, wiring harness all that...also, what kind of performance parts are there, a good supply I would guess, but what could get me around 400 HP???

Also, how does the 6 spd swap work?? how much is involved with that and what will I need to do??

Caleb

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Find it the engine in a 94-97 F-body (camaro, firebird) or 92-96 Corvette
A six speed will be a huge fabrication job. You will need to recut your floor pan because the shifter wont line up to the venture. Its better to just go with a 4L60E out of the F-car because the shifter will go right where your old stick was. John Moss built a Blazer with the six speed and had to set whole new floor pans.
400 is no problem. Supercharger or you could play with the heads to get a quick jump in Hp. Just get a cam and port heads with 1.6 rockers, HD valve springs. Go have fun.
Your lucky. V8 is far better than NOS on a 4cyl. Your GF rocks
:headbang:

·
32,797 Posts
Your g/f's smarter than you and your friends.:D

If you can get around the emissions shlt, look into the new crate engines from GM.

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
what you talking...96??

nitrous doesn't hurt your motor, Lack of brain power is what will hurt it. Don't be stupid with your nitrous and run what holley specs out for a stock 350 and you can run nitrous passes all day long. I think that holley says you can run UP to 150hp shot for sbc V8. Im saying go for the motor swap and if you still think you need more power then get a nitrous kit. and I don't think a LT1 puts out 400hp. and if it does..what ya gonna do for traction?

·
32,797 Posts
xtremer-pxl said:
what you talking...96??

nitrous doesn't hurt your motor, Lack of brain power is what will hurt it.
I'm refering to this:
she wants me to get used to having power rather than a sudden kick of power when I needed it
Wouldn't you rather have V8 power all the time, then just having a 4-banger with a kick of power every now and then.

·
The Tool All The Pro's Use!!
303 Posts
Why not both? Hell those years of LT1's had at least 275 HP just throw a 100 shot on that and there you go. Hell I still like the swap I'm gonna try, and that's putting in a syclone motor. Close enough to the 400 Hp for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
SummerWolf said:

I have a 98 S-10 4 banger, and I'm looking at an Lt1 since I've heard this is the most direct swap.....soooo, with that in mind, what kind of cars can I look for with this engine??

I know I'm going to need to get the whole computer, wiring harness all that...also, what kind of performance parts are there, a good supply I would guess, but what could get me around 400 HP???

Also, how does the 6 spd swap work?? how much is involved with that and what will I need to do??

Caleb
:wtf: Whoever told you it's a almost direct swap is a fuggin idiot.....it's a little bit easier than most swaps for your truck since you have a second gen, but you will still be stuck with the same basic swap problems.

You will need:
2.8 motor mounts
JTR conversion engine mounts or something similar
Your stock manifolds won't work due to the upward sweep.
*Two choices in headers
A. (big money) custom long tubes from LHT performance
B. Sanderson shorties part#CS12 (coated $435 from Sanderson) These headers allow the steering shaft to pass through two of the tubes so make sure you have good motor mounts.

I suggest you try to buy a complete 94-95 LT1 with T56 already attached. I'm not sure how much you will have to modify as far as the slave is concerned but JTR (www.jagsthatrun.com) has a pretty good write up on what you will need for a T-56 set-up. There is a place on ebay that sells complete fbody setups. Their seller's name is [email protected]. I bought my 94 LT1/4L60e setup from them and picked it up at their shop in PA. Let me tell you it's not your typical junkyard. More like a used car lot. That's how clean it is.

Contact LHT (www.leeshightechtrucks.com) for a custom wiring harness. They can build one for you that will leave you with around 6 wires that you actually have to splice. (unfortunately us 1st gen guys are screwed on this one)

Finally take a look at this page, www.slammed98gmc.com This is an example of how to do an 2nd gen LT1/T-56 swap the right way.

Stef

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't say direct swap......MOST direct swap, meaning, its the least hard

I have been researching all these problems.....so if I go with the Vette motor (found one, a 95 Vette LT1 with 40,000 for 2,000.....good deal?) and the auto tranny......how am I ever going to get the power to the ground, and what other things do I need to think of?? Frame strengthening, springs, what??

Caleb

·
Registered
62 Posts
SummerWolf said:
I didn't say direct swap......MOST direct swap, meaning, its the least hard

I have been researching all these problems.....so if I go with the Vette motor (found one, a 95 Vette LT1 with 40,000 for 2,000.....good deal?) and the auto tranny......how am I ever going to get the power to the ground, and what other things do I need to think of?? Frame strengthening, springs, what??

Caleb
Wouldn't worry about the frame strengthing. You will want to concentrate your beefing up efforts on your differential. If you have a 7.5 under yours, I suggest a zexel torsen. It's available from www.slponline.com you will need 28 spline axles to run this unit. If you have the 8.5, then look into an Auburn posi unit. In either case, you should get a diff girdle from Summit racing.

Once you get your PCM, I suggest you look into getting your hands on LT1_edit. This computer program will allow you to completely configure your PCM to your engine. You can usually get this program and the cable to hook it to your truck for around 200 bucks.

Although it will be pricey, I highly recommend the LHT wiring harness. This harness will allow you to use many of the stock systems found in your truck.

BTW 2000 grand for a Vette LT1 with that low mileage is an awesome deal.

Stef

*edit* one last thing, nice wide tires can control most of your traction problems. I'm looking at 285/40/18 rears myself. :D

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I'm going with this......

I'm sticking my mind to it and staying with it, gotta get rid of the 2.2 motor and tranny right now so I'm forced to do a swap LOL

I'm so bad about keeping with things

Caleb

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
ok, the LT1 puts out 300 hp first of all. and i HATE it when someone says the words 'V-8' and people start shooting them down because of traction. what, a worked 4.3 isnt going to have traction problems? anyways, i run 295 T/As, and they dont help with traction that much. the way to go is a properly set up suspension, or cinder blocks in the bed. no way around it. hah lata

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
nice touch dave, im feeling it, i know im gonna have major traction problems but im prolly going to relocate my gas tank to a fuel cell in place of the spare tire, a full tank of gas may get you some weight on the back and some better traction... just my $.02

1 - 14 of 14 Posts