S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wizard31
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i just recently bought a 92 s10 and i want to make it into a mean play toy. I've been talking to alot of my friends that have s10 as muddin trucks but i want mine to be a rock crawler to. i was thinking of mod mine but instead im thinking of a complete rebuild. i want to buy a frame and start from scratch completely modifying it. do a sas and lift it at least 20 inches i want to do an air ride suspension like DieselS10 but i want it to mean with huge tires at least 38 or bigger when the bags are down and just gigantic wen the bags are maxed out. i was wondering a price range and any ideas of what to start with. does anyone have a complete gallery of there progress so i can get some ideas and a good referance to what i need to research. im almost certian im going to use the body off my truck idk if im ready to do a new wiring system or take the time to do it right i'd rather take mine off and bolt it right on the other but im not sure yet i need to get a frame first.

Does anyone have a straight ext cab frame first gen or what would i pay for one???

pic of my truck
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=97242&d=1215892997

·
Registered
498 Posts
For what you want you would be way better off buying one the Rock Crawler kits somewhere that you build everything on the chasis you buy from them .
And you need to do some research first , A ROCK CRAWLER WITH 20" OF LIFT ..STUPID AS HELL ..You don't really understand what a rock crawler is do you ???
And for what you are wanting , look at bout $75,000 or close to it for a good built machine with good parts .
I use to build these things alot when they where the big shit years ago.

·
Wannabe Dragger
1,714 Posts
Look around on here in the 'Liftin' It' section. There was a guy, or maybe a couple/few, that swapped frames to full size frames and their trucks are awesome. I can't remember any names off hand though, sorry.

·
Spark Plugs Are Overrated
6,129 Posts
I've read a few of your posts, but I just realized that your new to the Forum, so welcome aboard. It sounds like you know what you want, just keep doing ALOT of research BEFORE you buy anything. It will save you alot of money in the long run. Like mentioned above, 20 inches of lift is alot for a rock crawler. Mine will get about 22" over stock, not counting what the tires added, but that is just for down travel when it's articulating. I will NEVER drive it around with it any higher than it has to be to clear the 38's. I used air ride so that it would be able to support a load or a trailer, ride good, and be soft enough for crawling, not for the ability to make it "to tall". Also with tires the size that you are talking about, you will need at least 1 ton axles, then you are going to need enough engine and/or gears to turn that much rubber.

As far as cost goes, you had better be able to do most of the work yourself! Again, like mentioned above, it can cost ALOT of money when you start modifying to this extreme. I already had my truck, both 1 ton axles, the donor truck that the 6.5L diesel/tranny came out of, the extended-cab cab, and the bed I have on it now. I have done every single thing that has been done to it and bargain shopped for everything and I have managed to spend over $10,000 on it so far and I'm not finished (as you can tell). So be prepared.

Best advise I can give is to take your time, look for good deals on the parts you need, and try to have everything that you think you need before you start, and ask anything that your not sure of.

·
Wannabe Dragger
1,714 Posts
^^His isn't a swapped frame (at least not full-size), but it's still one of my favorite lifted first gens on here lol

·
Spark Plugs Are Overrated
6,129 Posts
^^His isn't a swapped frame (at least not full-size), but it's still one of my favorite lifted first gens on here lol
Thanks man! The frame is actually one of the only "original" parts of my truck, well that & the fenders and hood. The entire origninal frame is there, but it has been extensively modified and lengthened to accomodate the Ex-cab.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts