S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright now. I've been going back and forth with the bank trying to get a loan for every car under the sun. Its not working, nothing I want they want to pay for.

So F it. I can't really afford another 250/month anyways. I got a couple grand in the bank and I really want to get a turbo project started. I've done topics like this before, but I'm decided this time. I can't go through this summer having an n/a Blazer. Its just toooo slow.

So what should I get guys? I was going to get some sort of Turbonetics T40e or 60-1hifi from Vecco performance, but I think I want to go with an internally gated turbo. Just for ease of installation and cost savings. I'm not going for all out performance, so an internal gate is fine. Should I look into the Mitsu series of turbos made for sy/ty applications? Also, this IS going to be remote mount right at the end of the Y pipe. I don't really care too much about any lag below 3k rpms. I plan on getting a 25/2800 stall anyways.

I know this has been done before over and over, but I'm the one with the money here! :p I need some expert opinions of what kind of turbo to get. Also, I'm going to need some help with getting the oil return pump working properly so I don't burn up a cartridge. Also, how hard is it to find a downpipe to fit a turbo?

I plan on realitively low boost 8-10psi. I may add another injector if I need it. It will be cooled by some sort of oddly shaped eBay intercooler that will fit. For tuning, I got a friend who owns his own shop and will take care of it for me.

The questions I need answered before I proceed:

1. What type/size/model of turbo would work? I'm not looking for max performance. Something that'll spool from 2500-3200 rpms and is interally gated.

2. What type/model of oil return pump do I need?

3. Where do I find a downpipe?

I'll keep this thread updated with pics as parts arrive. I plan on hopefully getting it all installed in a weekend and possibly getting my hands on an ASSLOAD of pre-bent eBay piping to route the intercooler/intake up. LOL.

·
I cant win for loosing.
3,226 Posts
First youll have to fab up a down pipe...which will acctually be your y-pipe so your really fabbing an up pipe to the intake, or in your case to the intercooler and intake.

For moderate boost levels on a stock fuel system the 60 trim is a good option, also look at upgraded sy/ty turbos from the 17c to the 20c. A T4 would do the trick, and if you want to really push some boost use two T3s, intercooler, meth injection, and extra injectors, but your gettin into a built motor then.

You can contact www.ststurbo.com and use one of thier two stage boost acctivated oil pump returns, and you can get thier oil return filler cap, and oil filter outlet, so you dont have to drill into the oil pan. Oil comes from a fitting that has a mount where the oil filter is for pressurised oil, and it returns through the oil filler cap. The pump has two stages hi and low, anything under 1psi it runs on low, and above 1psi it runs on high to make sure that you have ample scavanging for new oil to circulate.

Hell for a couple grand you can get a whole universal remote mount kit from them, that comes with everything you need except pipeing, and you can get that from them too.

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
are you for sure wanting a remote mount setup?

costs wise i still think its cheaper to do a syty setup. sure you spend a few hundred an manifolds, but you save not having to buy an oil return pump and all that other stuff mentioned and the mile long plumbing needed for it. my oil return hose is like 12 inches long lol. even the stock down pipe may work for 4x4's, it wont for 2wd's (i have one i'll let go for cheap!)

for mistu turbos, i would look into a 17c with the gt30 upgrade. its cheaper than a 20g and will outperform it

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
do you have your super off I want to rebuild it and go faster this season........:(

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bracket will be off this weekend Wolf!

And yes I want to remote. Its a 4x4 with absolutely no room for an underhood turbo. It will be a ton easier to work on having it in an easily accessable spot.

Is there a spot to buy new syty turbo? Theres a 17c on eBay, but it doesn't look too sweet.

Someone find me some parts to buy..!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If I was to do this type of thing, here's how I'd do it.

Move the battery to the back, somewhere near the rear axle to get weight where it is needed, probably build a box that gets installed under the rear seat through the floor, for access and security.

Id' then take the exhaust manifolds off the engine and do one of two things, swap them side for side, or use shorty aftermarket headers and also swap them side for side. This will put the manifold exits at the front of the engine, where a custom Y-pipe could be made to bring the exhaust to the turbo mounted basically where the battery was.
The DP would then run over the passenger side header (yeah it'll be tight), probably need to move a few things in this area, and then down behind the header and out the back of the truck.

The cold side piping would then run down in front of the rad through the rad support, to the IC and then up the driver side to the TB.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
The Blown Blazer said:
The bracket will be off this weekend Wolf!

And yes I want to remote. Its a 4x4 with absolutely no room for an underhood turbo. It will be a ton easier to work on having it in an easily accessable spot.

Is there a spot to buy new syty turbo? Theres a 17c on eBay, but it doesn't look too sweet.

Someone find me some parts to buy..!
How is underhood space any different from a 2wd truck?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hm..

Any takers for a rear mount setup?

Only reason Im such a fan of rear mount is because of the STS reputation and ease of installation. Its going to be WAY tight fabbing up a underhood mounted unit. It is always an option though and I really appreciate everyones help. Its another thing I can consider..

My boss at work actually helped a friend of his build a turbo with upsidedown mounted headers on a 350 tpi. It looked haggard, but performed well. Next time Im back home in the garage, I'll look and see how feasible it may be. The only problem I forsee is the fact I don't have direct access to a tubing bender to quickly fab up the exhaust. I also really don't want to F with my exhaust too much because I really love my custom 2.5" y-pipe I have on there. I think it would flow well to power a rear mount.

And I would already be locating the battery in the back. It will probably go in the spot where the factory jack was and have hidden wiring.

Ive also contimplated selling the Blazer entirely and starting with a stock s10, but this truck already has a built trans and rear end I both paid for. So I cant justify going back to a stock setup in another S10.

As far as a turbo goes, I'm liking the looks of the 17c. Would I have to run huge boost to make power though? My powerdyne was apparently running somewhere near 750-850 cfm at 10psi. A 17c flows around 550 cfm, is that enough, or no?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MINTSICK said:
yeah I dont know, lol. :haha:

Im more along the lines thinking of keeping the underhood space clean and cool!

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
MINTSICK said:
thats what i was wonderin lol

anyways, you can get new rebuilt turbos from john waller over at syty.net. he is the one that offers the gt30 upgrade as well. people over their love waller and praise the hell out of him. i had a rough time with him personally.

not sure on the flow numbers from a 17c, but to give you an idea, the stock turbo record for a syty is 12.10 at 110mph. the gt30/17c hybrid turbo like what i got would put one of those trucks in the 11's for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go with a Mocal pump. I used a ShurFlo and it went out. I also fabbed up a small sump and attached it to the turbo drain so that my pump would not suck air.

Are you a 4.3? If so, a 60-1 with a .68 A/R might work well. I'd go with Master Power. You can get them for about $650. I would not go with internal WG. Get a Tial 38mm for about $250. It's a reliable unit.

For a DP, just get a 3" U bend from Summit and weld the V-Band flange right onto it.

Don't forget you will also need to do something about the PCV.

I've got a list of parts suppliers on my site. http://www.JunkyardTurbos.com/parts.html

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
s10ls said:
thats what i was wonderin lol

anyways, you can get new rebuilt turbos from john waller over at syty.net. he is the one that offers the gt30 upgrade as well. people over their love waller and praise the hell out of him. i had a rough time with him personally.

not sure on the flow numbers from a 17c, but to give you an idea, the stock turbo record for a syty is 12.10 at 110mph. the gt30/17c hybrid turbo like what i got would put one of those trucks in the 11's for sure.
I am only shooting for consistant and reliable 14s. If I can consistantly nail a 14.99999999 I'd be happy.

Will the 17c with the hybrid setup still work for a remote setup? You guys also have to remember I'll only be running at MAX 3 feet of exhaust from the manifolds before the turbo is bolted up. I'm doing it RIGHT where the Y pipe connects, which is a little closer together than stock with my custom Y pipe. Also, do you have any contact info for John Waller? His website links arent working.

JYT- I like the site. Looks like a pretty cool Ls1 project. The only reason I am going for a internal gate is because of the ease of installation and price reduction. Also there seems to be a few good sy/ty turbos out there to fit my application. I was originally going to get a 60-1 hifi and a turbonetics wastegate. But the fabrication of the piping would just cost me too much. I'd rather kill two birds with one stone and have an internal gate. Like I said before, I'm going for reliable and good power, not unreliable and insane power. Also, could you illustrate more on your oil pumping system? Would my pcv valve already be safe because it was previously supercharged?

If some of you dont know or realize, I am coming from a blown setup that safely (for the engine atleast) hit 10psi with out any fuel problems. I got the fueling figured out for fairly low boost. As I said in the first post, I may add a remote injector in the future if need be.

So 17c with gt30 uprade..?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The_Raven said:
If I was to do this type of thing, here's how I'd do it.

Move the battery to the back, somewhere near the rear axle to get weight where it is needed, probably build a box that gets installed under the rear seat through the floor, for access and security.

Id' then take the exhaust manifolds off the engine and do one of two things, swap them side for side, or use shorty aftermarket headers and also swap them side for side. This will put the manifold exits at the front of the engine, where a custom Y-pipe could be made to bring the exhaust to the turbo mounted basically where the battery was.
The DP would then run over the passenger side header (yeah it'll be tight), probably need to move a few things in this area, and then down behind the header and out the back of the truck.

The cold side piping would then run down in front of the rad through the rad support, to the IC and then up the driver side to the TB.

Or you can just look here, for pretty much what I was thinking, just with the V6 instead of V8. ;)

http://www.junkyardturbos.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34

·
yes, that is a v6
2,628 Posts
The Blown Blazer said:
Will the 17c with the hybrid setup still work for a remote setup? You guys also have to remember I'll only be running at MAX 3 feet of exhaust from the manifolds before the turbo is bolted up. I'm doing it RIGHT where the Y pipe connects, which is a little closer together than stock with my custom Y pipe. Also, do you have any contact info for John Waller? His website links arent working.

JYT- I like the site. Looks like a pretty cool Ls1 project. The only reason I am going for a internal gate is because of the ease of installation and price reduction. Also there seems to be a few good sy/ty turbos out there to fit my application. I was originally going to get a 60-1 hifi and a turbonetics wastegate. But the fabrication of the piping would just cost me too much. I'd rather kill two birds with one stone and have an internal gate. Like I said before, I'm going for reliable and good power, not unreliable and insane power. Also, could you illustrate more on your oil pumping system? Would my pcv valve already be safe because it was previously supercharged?

So 17c with gt30 uprade..?
his screen name over their is jwaller. what kind of boost are you wanting to run? the stock wastegate is real sketchy above 12-15 psi, especially with a wide open exhaust behind it. waste gate porting would take care of that, or you could get a hot side like what i got and have a custom flange made.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish I could afford something so nice.

I'm only looking to run 10psi MAX. I dont know how much I have to emphasize that Im not going for a ton of power. Which is why Im not putting a ton of effort into it. If its a little faster than my Powerdyne setup, Im pleased.

·
i wanna go fast
656 Posts
The Blown Blazer said:
Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it.....

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rollin Single said:
Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it.....
I thought I had already PMd you?

I guess not. But I can't get enough cash from the bank for your truck man.

Sorry.

·
Got keyless door handles?
2,218 Posts
86MCSS said:
This is what you need to do...syty setup....

Who's truck is that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts