S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously there is a LOT more to getting horsepower out of these little engines than I know.

Exactly what can I do to get respectable power without making it sound like a V-2 "buzzbomb"?

I don't really want an all out racer or a show truck, just one that can earn a place in the fast lane from time to time.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well it all depends on how much you want to spend. Its gonna take some investment to get alot of power out of the 2.2 but its not impossible and its not a waste like the 4.3 guys are prone to saying. ITs just a different approach and its definitly a challenge. But your basic upgrades is the exhaust, a jetchip, intake and a e-fan. All of that is about $800 or less depends on what you get. will give you about 30 more hp. ITs gonna make throttle response nice and qucik and its gonna give a nice pull. It wont sound bad either if you get a quality muffler, i like my borla Turbo, the other guys like dynomaxes etc. And the intake isnt gonna be loud until you really get on the throttle.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Of course for $800 you can get nitrous. But thats totally different from bolt ons

·
Registered
217 Posts
for one ull be lucky if u see an actual 30 hp gain from those mods more realistically ull see about 15 maybe 20....most intakes put out about 2-5 hp on the dyno as for an exhaust system, header/s will give you 5-12 depending on the application....theres no way u will get 30 hp like you will read about in some adds for headers....most of thier claims are based apon v8's anyway with very restrictive exhaust manifolds

some other mods to consider: try changing out the rear end gears to 4:10 with a posi unit sometime you can find them at junk yards out of 4wd s-series and blazers for 150-300 depending on condition, not know what year your engine is you may also want to look into a larger throttle bodie, aftermarket computer, and better ignition system for a bit more power

head work seems to be the good way to go with these 4 bangers to really open them up but if u live in california be careful because emmisions laws may get you in the end :thumbup: :drinkhaha

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm used to running bigger engines where a large rear gear isn't needed and is sometimes even counterproductive.

I want to drive this thing around town and to work, so I don't want to wind the engine up to 3000 rpm just to leave the driveway. lol

I understand that most here have already bumped up the gears higher than I would have recommended. (so much for what I know)

So, I assume that is what must be done to make the little 2.2 launch aggressively.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody know anything about a 16 valve head conversion for the 2.2 litre that can be used in these trucks?

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Last time I checked Nitrous was a bolt on. What would make it a non bolt on. Never opened up a motor that i put juice on. Unless your trying to put a dual stage fogger or 300 HP system on a motor not meant for it.....:shrug:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blaze, if you "juice" a stock motor at all, it is only a matter of time untill it will have to be opened up.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Um...OK Tell that to my Internally stock 5.0 stang that ran with juice for 2 years and never evr was opened up. Heres the deal, Dont check your plugs occasionally, run a set two steps cooler and back the timing off, run a 100+ shot yeah your right. But to make a blanket statement that its not a bolt on or at some point you would have to open your motor is just........Crap. The biggest mistake people make with NOS is that they get greedy and or stupid. A 70 shot of juice if done right will have no ill affect on a properly maintened and driven motor....Nough said :nono:

Besides, doesnt every motor get opened up at some point....

·
Registered
920 Posts
nitrous isnt a bolt on in my book. I think of a bolt on as something you bolt or wire to your truck and leave it alone. At least Nitrous is not your normal bolt on. Thats something you cant use all the time and you have to refill it over and over, not that i wouldnt mind a 50 shot. If you do a low shot like 50 and dont use it alot, your engine will be fine. anything over 50 and id start replacing internals. Heck with a 50 id get a better fuel pump. which im getting better safe than sorry

Im pretty sure you cant get a 16 valve head for a 2.2.
and i didnt mean 30 rear wheel hp, although its possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blaze,

The fact that you got away with running nitrous in a stock 5.0 and got away with it is a testament to the quality engineering put into the engine.

Yes, you can use a limited amount, and get away with it........for a while.

But my statement stands, the engine's components were never intended to withstand either the pressure or the dramatic temperature fluctuations that are caused by nitrous oxide.

I've heard of people doing, it and getting away with it for years.

But I have never met, nor ever heard of, ANY serious performance enthusiast who would spend a lot of money and time on an engine that would use that stuff without building the motor to withstand it.

To say that it is harmless to a stock motor, isn't realistic.

A stock piston subjected to the effects of running nitrous will fail long before it's designed life cycle.

So, you might get away with it for a couple of years, then what ..........sell it to some kid?

At least that way it will be someone else's problem, right?

As to a nitrous bottle being a bolt on or not..........who cares?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i think nitrous isn't a bolt on, any stock motor can run it, 20 sjot for every cylinder, all depepnds on how well u maintain the engine

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Dear Mr. Mikey....

Lets see, Chevy 5.7 puts out anywhere from 200 to upwards of 400 horse from a stock motor. Am i to assume that that same motor that is internally the same as the 400 horse motor not able to withstand a shot of juice. According to you it won't withstand it. I have been working with NOS since 1990 and I can tell you straight out that you are wrong. As far as my runs with my stang being a testament to the internals of that motor. Lets see, 2 bolt mains, cast crank and forged pistons. Other than the forged pistons what was so special about it. The people that cant tune for Juice or who think that the longer they hold it the faster they go give it a bad stigma. Oh yeah and I'll end this little boy pissin contest on one last note. Are you going to tell the "KID" that buys your truck about every smoke show or race that you put your truck through.....NUFF SAID

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Little boy pissin' contest?

Maybe we've started off on the wrong foot here, Blaze.

I promise, I wasn't intentionally pissin' on anybody.

My contention is that the engineers that designed the "stock" engines of any horsepower did not build to withstand the effects of nitrous oxide.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeah, one more thing.

The only "smoke shows" my truck has been doin' are in my dreams ROFLMAO!

Hence, the initial post of this thread.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
LOL fair enough......Whenever your ready for a shot of juice, call me You'll be pleasently surprised

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Hook me up with a shot of juice, LOL, 50 shot would be plenty for me, anything to get the truck moving faster, LOL....anyways, how much and for what would I get with it??

Caleb

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you dont care could you tell me who makes all those bolt ons?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got an idea

How about putting helium in the tires to make the truck lighter?lol or for a temporary go fast boost how about dry ice in the air box?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts