S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i changed my oil yesterday and i noticed there is a thin layer of oil on everything under my truck. i checked for visible leaks at idle and off, i couldnt see anything. it cant be that bad of a leak becuase i check my oil once a week and the oil mark never changed. any clue whats up here???

·
Self Portrait
1,634 Posts
Clean your engine compartment so that you can check for leaks. Cheap brake and parts cleaner works great on oil! After it's clean check the underside after driving it until you find the source!

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update: i cleaned the bottom, drove it for a while and there it was agian. i still cant see where its comming from tho. all i know is my $4.50 a quart oil is on the ground and not in the engine where it should be:cuss:

·
Vivid Reality.net
157 Posts
:hitit:
check the oil lines that go in n out of your radiator they cross undewr your truck and they chaff taht is what happend with mine and thats is what you ahve to look for they are aluminum lines

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
i take it your using syn oil since u said 4.50 a quart....i'm not sure about the 2.2's but there is a filter relocater on the 4.3's and when i went to syn my oil leaked at lil at the rubber to metal connections....i had them replace it since it was still under warrenty and it doesnt leak anymore....

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CynicX said:
i take it your using syn oil since u said 4.50 a quart....i'm not sure about the 2.2's but there is a filter relocater on the 4.3's and when i went to syn my oil leaked at lil at the rubber to metal connections....i had them replace it since it was still under warrenty and it doesnt leak anymore....
could you give me a general area to find one of these so i can see if i have one, and if its leaking?

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
well once again i have a 4.3 and even never seen under the hood of a 2.2 but mine leaked at the oil relocator lines which run right to where the filter screws in.....

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: i took it to a shop and they found my truck is leaking oil from the valve cover, timing cover, and out the rear main seal. its also leaking tranny fluid from the rear main seal. im not tooooooo worried though becuase the engine only has 24K on it and it has a 50K warranty. i doubt that they put the old seals in a new engine, i will find out if this will be getting fixed for free, which i hope it is. anybody know what all is involved in replacing those seals? do you have to drain any fluids and stuff like that?

·
Self Portrait
1,634 Posts
I doubt that the labor is covered by your warranty, most of the time it isn't.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Be glad it is still under warranty. If you came to my shop the rear main seal on most 2.2L runs $500 because you have to remove the transmission and flywheel. The seals under the timing cover invovle dropping the oil pan and removing all the accesories on the front of the motor(A/C, P/S, Alternator) to get to the cover and then removing the valve cover and taking off the timing chain a real pain and then you have to remove the gears. That can run near $800-$1000. Also you might want to make sure the head is not leaking. There is a tech bulletin from Chevy for 94-00 2.2L engines that head warpage can cause headgaskets to fail. This also can cause oil to leak behind the timing cover.

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i went to the dealer that put my motor in. they said they are 90% sure they used the old rear main seal when they put the new motor in. wtf??? why would you put in a new motor and use the old seals? its not like it wasnt exposed when they took the old motor out....i dunno, im pretty upset with that. im till waiting for them to get back to me.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
As far as the labor goes if it was a factory warranty, any labor associated with the replacement or defective part is covered. As far as 24K with a bad rear main, a leaking tranny and a valve cover....Find a new shop bro. They sound like asswipes........Good luck......Just another reason why its a poooo.oh lol

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
02REDXBLAZE said:
As far as the labor goes if it was a factory warranty, any labor associated with the replacement or defective part is covered. As far as 24K with a bad rear main, a leaking tranny and a valve cover....Find a new shop bro. They sound like asswipes........Good luck......Just another reason why its a poooo.oh lol

i should find another shop. i figured i could trust these guys to do some decent work. it was a #1 cochran. this place does a lot of work on other cars, when i went inside i walked around and there must have been a good 50+lifts inside. i figured something this large scale would be a bit more professional.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hate to say it but I know of a lot of shops that cut corners due to the high volume of work that there employees have to repair. The shop I work at has five people that work there and we are open 6 days a week from 7am- 8pm and we work on average 40 cars a day. Anything from head jobs to oilchanges. I have to admit that things sometimes get skipped or looked over due to time constraints. The last shop I worked at fired a guy because he spent too much time diagnosing the problem, eventhough he was very thorough and made few mistakes. The guy only worked on a few cars a day and it affected the owners bottom line(money).
THat is why I hate this industry

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wahoo!!! truck is back now. they dropped they tranny and replaced the rear main seal. and put in new gaskets for the valve cover and timing cover. all free....well almost free. i had to pay $8 for a broken bolt they found, they thats nothing compared to the $700 it should have cost me. thank god for warranties! i also noticed now that my truck is running and shifting soooo much better. dunno why tho....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts