S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been leaking oil for a while adding oil as I go I only drive the truck 2 miles to work And have not had time to address it. Finally did find out there's oil shooting out the oilsensor I noticed the oil is frothy and white almost like it has getting water in it or air or whatever I am no expert by any means but know enough to get myself in trouble. I clean off all the way around the oil pan and everywhere else and the only area it's leaking is from the sensor. should I just replace the sensor and see if my knocking pinging sound goes away or am I denying the inevitable and my oil pump is toast. I have heard all the typical oil pump issues that everyone says Knocking Pinging heavy valve sounds and and also a small whining sound. For I'm also heard and other forms if the sensor's badd it can also mimic similar issues as the oil pump. My question to you guys is should I put in the new sensor fill it up with oil and tested or just quit wasting my time yank the engine do the pump and the sensor all at the same time. I just heard a lot of people saying this sensor can you mimic a bad oil pump

·
Administrator
23,069 Posts
What engine? Are you losing coolant? Have you checked the dipstick? If it looks like a chocolate shake, and the engine has a knock..damage has already been done. Time for a rebuild.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
379 Posts
If the oil is frothy and white in appearance, there is water/coolant in the oil. Does the oil on the dipstick appear this way as well? Water in oil looks similar to chocolate milk. If this is what you're experiencing there are bigger issues than just an oil pump. Fact is the oil pump can't pump oil/water mix very well so the engine ends up lacking lubrication, which is probably the reason all those other engine noises are occurring. Possibly a blown head gasket, intake manifold gasket (if it's a v6), cracked cylinder head or engine block... Regardless, the damage is done and it'll be time for an engine swap or rebuild

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No oil looks new from the dip stick. Just redid the head, new seals on the valves head etc. It's just shooting out the broken sensor. At a pretty fast rate. When The head was milled it is at the minimum heights does this and increase the engine pressure?

·
Administrator
23,069 Posts
No oil looks new from the dip stick. Just redid the head, new seals on the valves head etc. It's just shooting out the broken sensor. At a pretty fast rate. When The head was milled it is at the minimum heights does this and increase the engine pressure?
Your missing his point. Oil might not be that pretty golden color on the stick, but if it looks like thick chocolate milk...you have problems. Post some pics of the leak and one of the dipstick as soon as you pull it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also pulled the drain plug briefly and let oil come out because I was suspecting that and the oil is golden from the drain. It is only when it is coming out of that broken sensor it looks frothy chocolatey etc...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not mean to say "no oil looks new". stupid auto correct. I meant to say my oil still looks new on the dipstick. Not frothy, or brownish. Apologies

·
379 Posts
As Rhotpursuit said, some pictures would be helpful. The oil pressure sensors on the 4 cylinders do fail, I've done a bunch of them. If oil is gushing out of the sensor, just replace it... they aren't expensive. Be sure to check the connector for it as well, they often need to be replaced in addition to the sensor. Oil degrades the insulation on the wires so if the wires for the connector are pretty saturated with oil, I would just replace the connector too. That said, it is possible there may be an issue with the cylinder head rebuild or install that caused coolant to mix with oil. The engine noises could be a result of coolant mixing with oil or they could be a result of poor oil pressure resulting from a rapid leak from the oil psi sensor. I've personally never seen oil aerate result of a leak but stranger things have happened. But when oil has the appearance that you describe, that is exactly what water in the oil looks like. It just may not have turned all the oil in the pan to chocolate milk yet. If the frothy oil has plugged up the pump, it can't pump any additional oil into the engine so what is in the pan may appear ok. I would pull the valve cover and take a look in there, post pics. Pics of leak, oil on dipstick and with the valve cover removed. All would be useful.

If you pull the sensor, take a look in the hole where the sensor screws in... look for the frothy oil in there. And I would drain all the oil, there may be a layer of coolant floating on top of the oil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
98 4cyl 2.2l. Does it really raise the pressure or cause issues it being milled to the minimum limit. The theory in my head is the engine is overpressurized but I'm not sure I don't know that much what I'm talking about. My friend said as long as there's sufficient valve clearance there are no issues

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright thank you for the advice guys I will do that and post pic soon. I sure hope that's not the case because that's a reman engine with 65000 on it. I barely drive the truck. Fingers crossed

·
379 Posts
If a cylinder head is removed & reinstalled with a new head gasket, the compression in the engine is increased. If the cylinder head was machined, the compression is increased even more. This does place additional stresses on the lower half of the engine but unless it is a high mileage engine they are usually ok with this additional stress. May I ask why the head was pulled on a reman engine with 65000 on it. Shouldn't need to pull the head that soon....

·
Been there Done it
8,184 Posts
Rather than discussing all of the "could be's" why don't you simply put a new oil pressure sensor on it? :unsure:
Then figure out if there are bigger issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts