S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
registered to your mom
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back from vacation and when I did, one of the spark plugs actually popped out of the cyl head and arched on it. (since I bought the truck I haven't really played around with it.) I would think that minor stuff like this would be fixed by the time I got it. The oil pressure was around 20 psi and ran rough. I decided to take out the plugs and look at it. One of the plugs threads was stripped. I hope the plug hole isn't either. Since then I have replaced all plugs and still it's low, but not as bad. How are these two linked? Shouldn't I have lost compression? and not oil pressure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Oil pressure doesn't have anything to do with the spark plug. Low oil pressure could be caused by a bad oil pump, worn bearings, or maybe a crack somewhere in the engine.
 

·
AVTekk is my HERO
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
my oil psi starts out around 40-60 and then after awhile at idle it is at 20 then I just barely give it gas and it goes up to 60 again... I've been told its a short since I havent had any problems with it really besides the plugs being bad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,438 Posts
have you changed the oil ? When my buddy bought a truck a few years ago it did that , the oils was so bad it would not pump it right , changed it and it was fine ..
 

·
KeepDreaminXtreme
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
nastrus456 said:
I got back from vacation and when I did, one of the spark plugs actually popped out of the cyl head and arched on it. (since I bought the truck I haven't really played around with it.) I would think that minor stuff like this would be fixed by the time I got it. The oil pressure was around 20 psi and ran rough. I decided to take out the plugs and look at it. One of the plugs threads was stripped. I hope the plug hole isn't either. Since then I have replaced all plugs and still it's low, but not as bad. How are these two linked? Shouldn't I have lost compression? and not oil pressure?
20 psi at idle or while driving?
 

·
95 S-10 2200
Joined
·
510 Posts
SpYnOnU said:
my oil psi starts out around 40-60 and then after awhile at idle it is at 20 then I just barely give it gas and it goes up to 60 again... I've been told its a short since I havent had any problems with it really besides the plugs being bad
It's because the oil pump is gear driven. It reacts to the changes in RPMs in the engine. Low RPM at idle causes it to pump less meaning less pressure. Raise the RPMs it pumps more equalling more psi. When I'm driving around 60 mph my oil pressure will be about 40 psi. If I push in the clutch and bring the motor to around 5k (guessing, not tach) my pressure will jump up to 60 psi. It's been doing that for as long as I've had the truck. At idle it falls down to 20 psi.
 

·
registered to your mom
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See, heres the wierd thing about it, ever since the spark plug came out, the engine does run rough, and sometimes the oil pressure goes in the normal reading, others, it drops suddenly. I've only got 153,xxx on it and changed the oil before the trip.
 

·
Rev. Horton Heat Saves!
1996 Chevy S-10
Joined
·
89 Posts
I had the same problem as far as the oil pressure being low. I changed the oil, same thing; I changed the oil pump, same thing. I had a mechanic tell me that it was either the lifters going out or the push rods being cloged. My Dad said that it might be the cam shaft, one of these days I'll take it apart to see what is what.

L8R
 

·
Skatin On 6Kickers
Joined
·
104 Posts
have you gapped your spark plugs to the engine specs? If the thing popped out i can imagine that the gap was all messed up, that would make your engine run rough but definatly have nothing to do with oil pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
have you checked the wire on your oil pressior sending unit. It sounds more like you have a bad connection.

as for you plug problems you need to have that fixed. judgeing from what you said the first things I would check(someone allready said check your gap), check is for a cracked insulator on the plug, you said you had a striped plug so check for a compresion leak around the plug,and check your plug wires.

go though everything and if you don't feel comfortable with doing the work your self find a GOOD mechanic. from the sounds of it someone jacked with that truck before you got it. from the sounds of the problems your haveing they had no buisness under the hood of a vehicle(it was probally a dealership tech).
 

·
Need a DigiCam..
Joined
·
61 Posts
that sucks your plug hole is stripped out, u might wanna look for a new head buddy
 

·
Rev. Horton Heat Saves!
1996 Chevy S-10
Joined
·
89 Posts
SA-S10 said:
I had the same problem as far as the oil pressure being low. I changed the oil, same thing; I changed the oil pump, same thing. I had a mechanic tell me that it was either the lifters going out or the push rods being cloged. My Dad said that it might be the cam shaft, one of these days I'll take it apart to see what is what.

L8R
Well I took the valve cover off to see what was going on. I first check for oil coming out of the push rods, there was a trickle. Then I checked to see if the push rods were going up and down, they were. Does anyone have another suggestion for me? Could it be the oil pump, or do you think that the lifters are clogged? Any help would be cool. Sorry to hijack this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
sounds like you engine is sludged up. run some seafoam through then change the oil. don't run a cleaner the entire 3/3 oil life because it thins out the oil and you lose some of your protection, but it woun't hurt anything to run it a few hundred miles before you change the oil. you do that for a couple of oil changes and check you push rods again and you get a steady flow over the rockers
 

·
Rev. Horton Heat Saves!
1996 Chevy S-10
Joined
·
89 Posts
bvr775 said:
sounds like you engine is sludged up. run some seafoam through then change the oil. don't run a cleaner the entire 3/3 oil life because it thins out the oil and you lose some of your protection, but it woun't hurt anything to run it a few hundred miles before you change the oil. you do that for a couple of oil changes and check you push rods again and you get a steady flow over the rockers
I added the seafoam to the motor, the pressure is higher, but at operating temperature the pressure drops and I hear a clanking sound from the motor. Do you think that the lifters are just bad and need to be replaced, or do you think that the bearings are worn and need to be replaced? There is no sludge or buildup in the oil pan, everything else looks clean.

Thanks,
Frankie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
you hear a clanking sound!!!!!! STOP DRIVING IT. yeah it definatly sounds like you have some issues.go down to the parts store and get a stethiscope so you can isolate the noise.
If the engine has allot of miles figure out if you want a reman or you want to rebuild it yourself and start saveing.You have a 4banger right...In your case I belive a reman engine is actually cheaper than a complet rebuild.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top