S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my dad just replaced his motor in his 88 s-10 blazer with one of them motors that Advance sells. We put it all together and put it in, adjusted everything, and it seems to run fine, but we did the oil changes on it like it was supposed to be and the oil came out really watery, so we tried some of that synthetic blend stuff and it still came out the same way. we started out with the lil bit heavier weight oil. it starts up and runs with 50 psi of oil pressure but once it gets warm it goes to around 10psi and the oil temperature stays cool and the water heats up. i dont know what the cause could be but if someone could enlighten us we'd be very thankful. thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
What gauge are you reading this off of?
Use a second manual gauge to confirm before you condemn the engine.

Low oil pressure (usually leading to bottom end failure) is a common trait of the 60* engines when they haven't been treated well in there lifespan (which averages around 200,000km's)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh.. well its basically new. hasnt even been ran more than 400 miles max and has been babied them 400 miles, no highway speeds yet, oil change every 100 miles. i wouldnt expect the bottom end to be messed up. but everytime we've done an oil change it comes out really thin, as if it mixed with gas or something.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's possible that it's a really tight build, making it run hot - it'll take a bit for it to wear in and loosen up a tad.

Don't use synthetic oils yet though!!! The rings won't seat properly. You should wait until it's got at least 1000 miles on it.

50 psi at start up is... ok... not great, just ok. If it's really dropping to 10 after it heats up though, there's something wrong. Confirm it with that manual gauge, and if it's still that low, talk to whoever you bought the engine from.

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
The Chiltons Manual states the oil pressure should be at 45psi at 2000rpm, but does not have anything listed for idle. The Haynes manual shows oil pressure should be at 10psi at 500rpm and 50-55psi at 2000rpm. I have an '85 2.8, and mine gets to 45psi at 2000rpm, though shows around 10 or 20psi at idle, which is around 700-750rpm. The engine is a new(rebuilt) one from Mid-Atlantic and has over 3K miles on it so far. .
Dr. Fiero's right, don't use synthetic oil during the break in period. it's just too thin. I've been using 10W30 in mine, as recommended by Mid-Atlantic, and it's been doing great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok.. well i was just informed its also knock, and the mechanic i talked to said it could be the main bearings without even telling him that it was knocking. so i think we're gonna take a short lil trip over to advance where he bought it and tell them we want a new motor for free

1 - 6 of 6 Posts