S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 1992 S-10 with the Tahoe Package.
the Odemeter just hit 227k miles!! whoo!
It used to belong to a Autoparts delivery store, so it was well taken care of, besides being a little rusty.
A little Intro, I have a 300mhz Celeron computer behind my seat, it plugs into my stereo, and I have 10gigs of mp3 goodyness!!

Down to the Q
I noticed a bit of belt squel today (Probably cause it rained all yesterday and it was humid today). So it reminded me to check my fluids.
My oil was about a 1/2 quart low, so I added some Rotella from the barn. Afterwards, now my oil pressure (when idling) is like 25 PSI, when before it was about 40 PSI.
I had 10w-30 in the truck, and the Rotella (which I use in my F250) was some 15w-40 (I did not realize this until I checked after I noticed the Low pressure.)
Will this Harm my truck. Since it is going into Summer, I should have heavier oil anyways, correct? Will the 10w30 and 15w40 mix ok, or will that cause problems?

Also, what is your guy's take on Slick-50. I've had 2 guys suggest it for me, they say it helps out older engines, because it teflon coats everything. Will this help? My Uncle said he put it in a Buick that would lock up when the oil got low, and it completly solved it, to the point at which he accidently let it burn almost all the oil and it didn't lock up at all.

Thanks for you help.

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
on most new s-10 after running it for a bit the idle drops to around 25psi and thats normal..... i dunno how the slick 50 would work...fram makes a filter with dupont teflon and dupont says they dont recommend teflon inside your engine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but, I have kept a close eye on the guages, and even after hour long road trips it has stayed up around 35-40 PSI. I guess I'm just kinda worried cause I'm going on a long trip on Friday and don't want to be stranded some where.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts