S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sure this is a repeat ? but here goes, i have a sbc 434 in search of oil pan. going in 2000 s10 2wd any input would be great

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,598 Posts
Moved to V8 Discussion

·
Been there Done it
8,585 Posts
Stock 2wd pan that is correct for your year of engine. So that it's correct for one or 2 piece seal and left or right dipstick.
Might need to be a passenger car pan as opposed to a truck or van pan.
4wd pans and LS pans are another story, but on a SBC the pan isn't usually an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock 2wd pan that is correct for your year of engine. So that it's correct for one or 2 piece seal and left or right dipstick.
Might need to be a passenger car pan as opposed to a truck or van pan.
4wd pans and LS pans are another story, but on a SBC the pan isn't usually an issue.
thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what all are you guys using. i dont know if i want to use a stock pan when i have a professinally built engine

·
Been there Done it
8,585 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty of speed shops out there that will take your money if you really want to spend some.
A couple thing to remember. Chrome plated pans are very hard to keep from leaking because the surface is so smooth where it contacts the gasket. More than one guy has removed his chrome pan because of sealing issues.
Talk with your engine builder about getting the oil level in the pan right. If it is a bit to high it can actually rob horsepower.
This Engine Masters episode shows how a BBC on a dyno picked up 20 HP by draining out 1/2 a quart from the pan.

I'd think your biggest concern with a built 434 is going to be how to get that truck to hook.

Reactions: Ssbigdaddy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts