Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i get oil orifice out?
read this in another thread but just pushed it in farther.
There about 50 times easier to remove than a freeze plug. the orfice is actually brass so if you tap It in the corner it spins to the side and then u can pry it out. And the plug won't drop into the engine. it is inside the same oil channel that your lifters are in. Basically its a long drilled hole in the block.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Screw a sheet metal screw into the hole in the center. Then you can use a claw hammer or a forked pry bar to pry the plug out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
^^ thats how i pretty much did it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
@eagle98 - The hole in the center of the plug is the oiling hole for the timing chain and tensioner. GM updated the size of the oil orifice to reduce wear on the chain and tensioner. If you're replacing the timing set, you should change the orifice to be sure its the correct size.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Never heard of an updated size, just that early motors didn't have one. The hole size is 1mm, or .039".

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
yeah, i had to buy 10 of the dam things just to get one... thought about selling them on here, they are hard to find one at a time

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
i have 10 now too.

yea the early motors has too small of a hole aparently. My timing set was worn and if it werent for the ****ed up roll pin/spring part of it it would be good for another 50K prolly. I changed it all out at 18xK miles. so really if im getting 180+K miles with the small oil hole i aint too worried about it.

now the damn lifters when its cold are getting annoying haha

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,233 Posts
6 years later and this post has helped me tremendously!
And it would have still helped even if you hadn't bumped a dead thread. Please don't do that.

Thanks.

Closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.