1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
yes it is really that simple. i did it last winter. it wouldnt be hard to make an adapter but the cost of materials is more than the cost of deleting them, that being free.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Yes - that's all there is to it. Once removed, the oil filter will attach where the adapter was removed. No need to splice lines together - where would you put the filter in that case?

Also, that is a 2WD only mod. The 4WD models (like mine) have part of the front drive assembly in the way and need to retain the remote filter setup.

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,, I have a 2wd,,, Ok,, sounds goody,,,, I'm removing my engine to clean up my firewall, tubs for 20's, and paint the firewall,, sandblast my frame and paint it up nice, so I'll do it when It's on the engine stand.

Shanks a bunch.

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this is why there is soooo much gunk on my engine and frame...

where else do these engines drip or leak oil from,, there is a lot of crud under there.

And no,, I don't spill a drop when I fill the oil up.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Common oil leakage places:

1) oil cooler line fittings. The earlier editions of the lines were allegedly poorly crimped and were guaranteed to leak eventually. Newer versions aren't supposed to leak. My newer style haven't leaked (yet)

2) Rear main seal.

3) oil cooler inserts in radiator. The inserts that the lines hook into thread into the radiator and have o-rings on the ends. The o-rings can get messed up over time and it'll leak.

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
I'm curious, why do you say that?

Not everybody needs an oil cooler.
because he is ignorant.

chevy/gmc actually made 4.3 full size trucks with no oil cooler lines.

·
Starting from scratch...
3,349 Posts
I think this is why there is soooo much gunk on my engine and frame...
you're quite likely correct...By the time I pulled my lines, the bottom of my truck looked like it had been doing backflips on the bow of the Exxon Valdez.

Almost 2 years now, no cooler lines, no more leaks (except for that pesky "2 drips a month" from the rear main seal). I don't have 4wd, I don't tow, I don't do very many trips over, say, 100 miles or so, the hottest we usually see around here is mid-90's (and that's only for a month or so anyway),and I run synthetic. Therefore, completely unnecessary for my application anyways.

If you're leaking, just do it. It is that simple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts