S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have a really bad oil leak that is leaking onto my exhaust and burning really badly (its only gotten worse the past few months). I have tried to find where this thing may be coming out of, but alas i cannot find it. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated as i really want to stop leaking oil lol. Would bad motor mounts cause an oil leak over time because of the engine shaking?

· Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
2,169 Posts
If motor mounts are bad, they should be replaced, but would not be a cause for oil leaks. The more probable source(s) is either a gasket and/ or a seal. Do you have any pictures you can post?

· Been there Done it
16,225 Posts
Year and which 4.3 would help. If it's new enough to have oil cooler lines and a remote filter, those lines like to leak.

· Registered
272 Posts
Nothing really to leak under pressure on the distributor. There is an internal shaft seal and a paper gasket at the base. Most will seep a tiny bit but rarely pour oil on the center pipe. The oil pressure sender is not bad to change if you have the tight socket. Most auto-parts stores will have the socket as a rental or for sale. There are a few different sizes so if you can get a set on rental or loaner might save so grief. Should be easy enough to see if it is leaking. Warp a clean shop towel around it an run for a bit. The below is a example.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing really to leak under pressure on the distributor. There is an internal shaft seal and a paper gasket at the base. Most will seep a tiny bit but rarely pour oil on the center pipe. The oil pressure sender is not bad to change if you have the tight socket. Most auto-parts stores will have the socket as a rental or for sale. There are a few different sizes so if you can get a set on rental or loaner might save so grief. Should be easy enough to see if it is leaking. Warp a clean shop towel around it an run for a bit. The below is a example.
Do I need to take the distributor out to get to it? What else should I replace since I’m there?

· Registered
272 Posts
Do I need to take the distributor out to get to it? What else should I replace since I’m there?
I have replaced mine at least twice and did not remove distribitor. Last time i remove the plug wires on drivers side for a little more clearence and removed cap and laid it out of the way. Should be pretty obvious if it is leaking.

· Registered
322 Posts
Most likely the rear main seal. I am having my rear main seal replaced at the shop. I had the same symptom. Oil leaking onto the exhaust crossover pipe and stinking real bad. You should see oil at the bottom of the bell housing drain hole.

· Been there Done it
16,225 Posts
Not sure I agree. It's unusual for a rear main to leak a lot. They usually just drip and it's a major repair to replace one.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure I agree. It's unusual for a rear main to leak a lot. They usually just drip and it's a major repair to replace one.
Yea, i would think so as well. My truck is leaking puddles, and not just drips anymore. I did an oil change, and used some blue devil oil leak stop, but i don't think it has done the trick. I am going to park the truck at my dads this weekend and go ahead and replace the oil pressure switch sine my oil pressure is damn near 0 when idle, and like 35 at full throttle. Ill probably do an oil flush, and run some 10w-30, with blue devil rear main sealant and hope that isn't the part that needs replacing lol. Ill also use some dye since it was suggested earlier just to see if i can find it that way as well. You got any other suggestions on what parts i should go ahead and replace?

· Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
2,169 Posts
It might be a good idea to put a mechanical gauge on the engine to confirm oil pressure(s) at idle & higher RPMs. The dash gauges are not always the most accurate, even with a good sending unit.

· Registered
2002 S10 2WD (4.3L, AT)
419 Posts
You have 2 related issues: oil leak and lack of oil pressure. As aitch suggested, recommend confirming the correct amount of oil and then the oil pressure via an independent gauge.

If it's leaking puddles now, it should be somewhat obvious as to the source....if not, then use the UV dye to find the leak....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts