S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Chevy S10 4.3 engine 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil the other day and had a hard time taking my oil filter off. I guess I over tightened it BIG TIME and it was so hard to get off. After going at it for 2 days and trying different tools and making several holes lol I finally got it off. Well I finally got the new filter on and got the new oil in and I started the truck, next thing you know I notice a small puddle under the truck where the oil filter goes. I've attached several pictures of the bottom and everything is completely covered in oil. Anyone have any idea what might be leaking? I'm using degreaser to get the oil off hopefully I can see where the leak is coming from. If anyone has any advice please let me know. Thank you all!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone tell me what these things are called?

there is two rubber parts I circled one of them.

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual RWD
219 Posts
It would help if we knew what truck you have beyond that it's an S10.

Why is it no one wants to fill out their signature? It would make things SO much easier....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would help if we knew what truck you have beyond that it's an S10.

Why is it no one wants to fill out their signature? It would make things SO much easier....
sorry about that I'm new still to this forum. I'll fix my signature right away.. my truck is a 1997 chevy s10 4.3 engine 2wd

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
Those 2 rubber tubes are just vents for the torque converter area.
You need to remove your filter and see if there is any old gasket stuck on the base from the old one that was too tight. Or you might have cracked the adapter that is screwed to the bottom of the block that the filter screws on to. Or maybe you unscrewed the adapter a bit while twisting off the old filter.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,177 Posts
Those 2 rubber tubes are just vents for the torque converter area.
You need to remove your filter and see if there is any old gasket stuck on the base from the old one that was too tight. Or you might have cracked the adapter that is screwed to the bottom of the block that the filter screws on to. Or maybe you unscrewed the adapter a bit while twisting off the old filter.
Those rubber tubes...are plugs. They're solid. Removing them allows access to the two bolts one the rear of the oil pan.

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
I just R&R'ed the trans in my stock 02 CC and I never touched them. Was there supposed to be bolts there?
Or are you talking the 2 rear oilpan bolts? I thought they were drains in case you drove thru deep water.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,177 Posts
I just R&R'ed the trans in my stock 02 CC and I never touched them. Was there supposed to be bolts there?
Or are you talking the 2 rear oilpan bolts? I thought they were drains in case you drove thru deep water.
Sorry...was in a hurry. Yes..they are for the oil pan bolts. When I replaced the 4.3 inn my truck a few years ago, I forgot to put them back in. It would be almost impossible unless you put them in boiling water to soften them up.

·
Registered
556 Posts
id remove the oil filter and check to see if the old gasket from the old oil filter is still on the block. this is very common. passed that, while you're under the truck, bring a few cans of brake cleaner and spray the bottom of the engine to get it 'dry'.. from there install the oil filter, or a new one, and as long as the brake or carb cleaner is all dried up, then start the truck and check for oil leaking. but, looking at those pictures, that old 2.2 has been leaking oil for a long time. just check the dip stick and keep it topped off and enjoy whatever miles she gives you in return

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've only seen that happen once and of course, it was on one of mine. It was cracked pretty bad, took about half a minute to drain new oil all over my shop floor.
Those screw-on adapters aren't the most robust pieces anyway.
One option is to pressure wash it as best you can and get some leak dye, that should help you narrow it down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I changed my oil the other day and had a hard time taking my oil filter off. I guess I over tightened it BIG TIME and it was so hard to get off. After going at it for 2 days and trying different tools and making several holes lol I finally got it off. Well I finally got the new filter on and got the new oil in and I started the truck, next thing you know I notice a small puddle under the truck where the oil filter goes. I've attached several pictures of the bottom and everything is completely covered in oil. Anyone have any idea what might be leaking? I'm using degreaser to get the oil off hopefully I can see where the leak is coming from. If anyone has any advice please let me

·
Registered
26 Posts
Simple thing to forget - the filter gasket twisted, kinked, missing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
id remove the oil filter and check to see if the old gasket from the old oil filter is still on the block. this is very common. passed that, while you're under the truck, bring a few cans of brake cleaner and spray the bottom of the engine to get it 'dry'.. from there install the oil filter, or a new one, and as long as the brake or carb cleaner is all dried up, then start the truck and check for oil leaking. but, looking at those pictures, that old 2.2 has been leaking oil for a long time. just check the dip stick and keep it topped off and enjoy whatever miles she gives you in return
Its not a 2.2 my truck is a 4.3 😉. Also the bottom of the truck looks a lot worse then it really is. I drove it a lot while leaking appeeantly and the wind smeared oil where ever it could lol. For how old the truck is the engine doesn't have a crazy amount of miles on it. It's at 170,300, doesnt shake, and is quiet as a mouse.. for now 🤨... Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those rubber tubes...are plugs. They're solid. Removing them allows access to the two bolts one the rear of the oil pan.
So your saying their supposed to be solid ... Mine are so soft and flimsy.. I'm going to assume it's because of the oil ? Is it ok if I remove them ? Or should I just leave em till i buy new ones ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After cleaning a little bit of the oil pan and oil filter adapter area I started the truck and started seeing new oil leaking from what looks like the "oil cooler lines" has that ever happened to anyone ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
^ yep, just swapped it out in my '04, those lines are notorious for leaking. It had leaked for a long time before I got it, motor mount on the driver's side is pretty much nonexistent - check yours when you replace the lines.

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy Dorman replacement lines because they're less expensive. Don't last very long. OEM are better, but not great. The best cure is to build you own with the necessary adapters to AN line and use Teflon® lined AN hose. (Polytetrafluoroethylene thankfully shortened and called PTFE)
Bit of a project but won't leak down the road.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,177 Posts
So your saying their supposed to be solid ... Mine are so soft and flimsy.. I'm going to assume it's because of the oil ? Is it ok if I remove them ? Or should I just leave em till i buy new ones ?
I forgot to put them back in when I put a new 4.3 in...never did put them back in. They're not solid, but they're very stiff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts