S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S10 LS, 2.2L 4 Banger, Automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my first car, a 1999 2.2L S10 LS. I bought it at 135,000 miles. It isnt it in bad or good condition but it works.I have put maybe 7,000 miles on it since June or July of last year. I have had two oil changes since then, and right now I have 10w30 synthetic in her. I think it was like the best stuff at valvoline. (Note I did notice that the pressure was a tad better after that oil change)

A major issue is that the oil pressure is not doing so good. On a cold start the oil will go up to 80 and level out. When it finally gets to operating temperature and runs for a bit, the "Check Guages" light will come on at stops. I took it to the shop and was told that the guage is correct and that it will run like that forever. They attached a guage and it had 5-10psi at idle.

I have recently had time to do some investigating of my own. I looked below the truck for any obvious things. I found oil streaked onto the exhaust and maybe a drop on the ground. I watched as it smoked on the exhaust pipe pictured. I'm guessing that there is a bad gasket somewhere? The weird thing is that the oil level does not seem to change much on the dipstick. So it must be a small leak.

The engine itself seems to be running fine. I might hear a small tick when it is hot and the check guage light is on but nothing major.

Another thing I suspect is that there might be gunk in the pan. The dude I bought this thing from said that it had sat for 7 years (should have been a red flag) and that he replaced the fuel lines and whatnot. So I'm guessing that the oil broke down in the pan and he did not do an oil change when he fixed it. What is something I can do about this?

Is there something I can do without spending a fortune? I really don't have the money or time to do have it worked on.

Oil additives? Especially for gaskets or leak seal... idk

As I have another oil change coming up I would like to do anything I can beforehand.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Light

·
Registered
47 Posts
AT 205 reseal is the best stop leak in my limited experience. I see they have it on Amazon. Or you could try the Lucas engine oil stop leak for about half the price. The Lucas is thick and will increase the oil pressure. If the issue is sludge in the pan you could try doing a flush but if the engine is running decently I wouldn't risk it. I was having a similar issue and guys here said it was sludge. Instead of a flush I did an oil change and used a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil, ran it 1000 miles, then did another oil change with another quart of the MMO. My low pressure issue is gone but I still have high pressure when it is cold. My solution is that I let it idle 20 minutes to get up to temp before I drive it otherwise I hear it tapping pretty bad (temperatures are in the 20s here). The MMO is thin and will make your leaks worse. Your best bet is to get it scalding hot and do an oil change and let it drain completely, then re-fill it with a high milage 10w30 and a full bottle of the at-205 reseal and leave it in there the full 3000 miles. Also check the valve cover gasket, they are pretty easy to replace and you can get one off rockauto for $3

·
Registered
1 Posts
A significant issue is that the oil pressure isn't doing as such great. On a virus start the oil will go up to 80 and level out. At the point when it at long last gets to working temperature a tad, the "Really take a look at Guages" light will come on at stops. I took it to the shop and was informed that the guage is right and that it will run like that for eternity. They appended a guage and it had 5-10psi out of gear.

·
Been there Done it
13,180 Posts
Based on the pic of the bottom of your engine I'd say that oil leak isn't worth mentioning. That would be the same as calling you doctor if you cough once a day. It's actually very clean underneath.
Magic fixes in a bottle have been around since the beginning of time and are just as worthless as they were when Merlin told the King he could make gold out of lead. The carpet bagging slicksters selling snake oil now have multiple media platforms to promote their particular brand of Voodoo. That doesn't mean the stuff does any good.
The reason the oil pressure is low is the engine is tired. The truck is 23 years old and sat for 1/3 of it's life.
Since you have neither the time nor money needed to rebuild the engine, drive it until it drops.
Like the man said, " the gauge is correct and that it will run like that forever."
Don't know about "forever" but it'll be quite a while.
If it's any consolation most EuroTrash cars normally have under 10 psi at idle, the expensive ones.
If you have 20 to 40 while driving and don't beat it there isn't anything to worry about.:D

Reactions: Beasyphone

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Don't Dog the thing, treat it like you actually care ie no one wheel peels showing off or attempting to pretend it's a racecar and you should get some GOOD life outta that truck. Congrats on the truck, think bearings not Lucas but as rebuild ain't an option. Just enjoy your new truck! Start saving for a stronger one next time! (Hopefully years down the road 🙏)or at least a rebuilt motor 😉

1 - 7 of 7 Posts