S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Sonoma 2.2 with 292K miles, replaced the head once(actually 4 times at the same time, long story). I had the clutch replaced 2 years ago. Then shortly thereafter I developed an oil leak. I've looked all of the engine can't find a visible leak. So I am assuming its at the rear of the engine. It's a small leak like a couple/few of teaspoons daily. I have to add a half a qt every month between oil changes. My oil pressure is at 60 doing 75 MPH/2,900 RPM on I-75. I read on here that all 2.2's leak

Is it worth it to pull the tranny and fix the leak or just deal with it?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
This is why you always, always replace the rear crankshaft seal when you do the clutch.

I know this doesn't help much now.

I'd drive it with the leak. It will drive a long way leaking that little. The only way I'd fix it is if it's dumping oil directly onto the clutch/pressure plate. If it does that, you'll be doing a clutch job anyway, and refer to my opening sentence in that case.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,426 Posts
My 2.2 leaked at the back of the engine when I got it. I lived with it until the 4l60e stripped out a sun gear shell.
Oil pan was leaking. I pulled the flex plate, scraped off all the sealer sticking out. Brake cleaner, scrubbed with old tooth brush, cleaned with air, repeat. Sealed from outside with silicone sealer. been good since. Probably would not have messed with it if I didn't already have the trans out.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
I hate oil leaks. If my rig leaks, I fix it.

However, oil is inexpensive compared to having a mechanic replace the seal.
If you do the job yourself, the seal is $13...
How do I know? :(

If you have the tools and the facility (your garage or driveway) it's not all that bad of a job. You could do it in a day.

I don't know - you could go either way with this one. Just depends how ambitious you are.

·
Chopper! Sic balls!
39,283 Posts
Yeah, mine doesn't leak either. If you're having trouble pinpointing the leak I recommend cleaning the engine the best you can and then park it with a clean piece of cardboard under it. That might help you find exactly where it's coming from. I never met a leak that I didn't mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm like Mad Max, I have to fix it or it drives me crazy. And just like he said, if you have the means to do it yourself, I'd go for it.

If you don't have a trans jack, you can do it with a standard jack and two bodies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
DP2000
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing