S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Next problem up for my 85 2.8L, I have oil blowing into the air cleaner. It is coming from the tube on the passenger side valve cover and through the air breather. I am getting quite a bit of oil blowing through....I just put in a new filter and drove about 10 miles. There is already a quarter size spot on the new filter, although I did get on it pretty hard a few times. I have replaced the pcv but that did not solve the problem. Any other ideas? Thanks, David

·
Registered Hoosier
4,780 Posts
Make sure there is good vacuum to the pcv valve. Also check the filtered air hose .

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
If you have excess crankcase pressure it will blow oil into the air cleaner. If your engine is worn the blowby will overwhelm the crankcase ventilation.

Is your engine mucky inside? Mileage?

With engine idling, remove the oil filler cap and hold your hand over top. Do you feel suction or pressure?

Your piston rings could be stuck and allowing excess blowby.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
if none of these above things are causing it and its still doing this then id probably not beat on the engine too much any more or kaboom!

if its really that worn

how many miles are on it and have you been keeping the oil changed and clean?

what weight oil you use in it?

pcv system problem will be most likely cause

make sure return hose to air cleaner is open and good and clear

make sure pcv valve hose not sucking shut at idle

these gotta be clear and free and allow air or vacuum through them

it is critical and has to be correct

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. The engine has 139k and isn't driven too much, so the changes probably weren't frequently enough. Come to think, I may have put 10W40 but don't recall for sure, that might be adding to the problem. It's still a little cold outside so haven't dug to much deeper yet. However, I did pull the filler cap and there does appear to be suction, but not too much. It definitely isnt blowing. Next I will pull the hose to the pcv to see if there is suction there. How much should I expect?

If the engine does go kaboom, then it's time for V-8 swap. Until then, I can't justify a new engine.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
You should have "noticeable" suction at the oil filler tube. Suction at the PCv should be considerable. So the difference between the 2 is the blowby in the crankcase off-setting the vacuum at the PCV.

Maybe it's as simple as the wrong brand of oil. Some oils lend themselves to getting blown out the breather system.

I'd do a compression test to see what you have. Any low cylinders could be contributing to the increase in blowby. This too could be caused by poor quality oil allowing the rings to stick. If your compression is down then run some crankcase flush through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.