S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 2003 2.2 S10 that has been giving me heartburn with oil pressure. I can't seen to pin point exactly the issue.

I work about 15 miles from home and my commute has many red lights. On the way to work in the morning, i never seem to have oil pressure issues. On the way home, it will bottom out at a stop light but not until I am about a mile or two from home. Now I would say because of viscosity of the oil or the bearings but I certainly would think that if it was bearings or pump, it would drop way sooner than it does. It hit operating temp at about 5 min or less of my 40 minute drive in 80 degree weather so that's when I thought it would be at it's lowest pressure. That being said, there are times that when this happens and I get home, it sits for 10 minutes I can start it and it is back up some. Just odd to me and was looking for some thoughts. No engine noises knocks or pings, just running as it should.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
783 Posts
replace sensor.check reading with a scanner to see if gauge is reading correctly.

·
Administrator
21,260 Posts
Why not just get a new oil pressure sensor? Your engine was designed to run at a certain temp. If you go too low, it will think it's cold and use more fuel.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
783 Posts
if you check your reading with the scan tool and is they match- that leaves a mechanical or a physical issue- you say the pressure is fine sometimes and stupid wrong at others- either oil pump is going or screen is getting blocked by trash in the pan- if you have time to park it for 24 hours you can try an old remedy- park it- drain oil (DO NOT REMOVE FILTER YET)- replace plug- pour 1 gallon of KEROSENE into fill tube( DO NOT START OR DRIVE) let sit for 24 hours-drain and refill with OLD OIL that your took out.-start and run for 5min. NOW due a complete oil change filter and fresh oil. The running with old oil will flush any remaing Kero out of the block.OBSERVE during both draining for debris and or sludge and metal particals.Also a simple check- start engine and while a helper sits and watches the gauge- shake and tug on your wiring to the sensor to check for damaged wiring.Oil pressure indicator system is fairly simple, leaving most problems to actual mechanical issues ,but you said you had no problems when your pressure bottomed out,leading me to think of FOD(foreign object or debris) in your oil passages.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts