S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm also about to change the car's oil for the first time, really don't know how to change the oil for the car. I received a valvoline promo code oil change last week but I don't know if their quality is good. I am a newbie and inexperienced looking for help.
Thanks everyone.

·
Been there Done it
14,404 Posts
Valvoline makes good oil. All kinds of oil. Be sure to get the oil specified in the owners manual for your year and engine.
Synthetic is higher quality oil so you'll want to go with that in the correct viscosity. Don't get synthetic blend. It's nearly as expensive as synthetic and none of the manufacturers specify whether it's 90% synthetic or 2% synthetic. So there is no way to know what you are getting. I'm sure they make a good profit on it. 5 quart jugs are much less expensive per quart, whatever you choose.

Reactions: Joe Cool

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,591 Posts
Also be sure to get a quality oil filter. I have used the AC Delco with good success, and I avoid Fram filters.
Edit: Also be sure to save & dispose of the used oil properly - most auto parts stores will accept used motor oil for recycling.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wix and Napa filters are the same and come highly recommended by most mechanics.

I've heard that Fram has redesigned some of theirs, but I don't care, I won't run 'em. There are plenty of YouTube vids showing several different filters cut apart, the innards tell a lot.

My advice would be to find a car guy, buy the oil and filter (and a drain pan) and a 12-pack. Have him/her talk you through the procedure so you know what's going on. It's not tough.
I still change the oil in all my vehicles myself. It's a PITA but I like having the opportunity to look at everything underside while I'm there. Plus I'm a verified tightwad.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Get a drain pan/bucket that fits your vehicle and is easy to move without splashing the old oil. The 4.3L 2wd takes about 4.5 quarts, not sure on the 4x4. Also, not only are the 5 quart jugs cheaper in price, but you can also pour your old oil into the empty jug.

·
Been there Done it
14,404 Posts
By the time you buy the oil and filter, a drain pan, an oil filter wrench, a funnel to pour the oil in with, some rags and hand cleaner, it'd be like @bk2life says no muss, no fuss, and likely cheaper to have it done at a dealer. I personally avoid most instant oil change places. They have a bad habit of stripping out the treads in the oil pan because the knuckleheads they hire have no intelligence or eye hand coordination and then want to charge you for a new self tapping leaky universal plug. Drain plugs don't get stripped coming out. It's putting them in wrong that wrecks them. Their fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of the first things i do is change ALL the fluids in a vechicle new to me. I go to the dealer and a get the OEM products and stick with them. As far as subsequent changes, parts store carries the OEM oils and trans fluids. First time I did that, the guy at the parts counter laughed, and said "I guess you really want to keep the vechilce running for a long time." He and all the other folks at the dealership did the same thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get a drain pan/bucket that fits your vehicle and is easy to move without splashing the old oil. The 4.3L 2wd takes about 4.5 quarts, not sure on the 4x4. Also, not only are the 5 quart jugs cheaper in price, but you can also pour your old oil into the empty jug.
4.3l 4x4 is also 4.5 quarts, the oil filter is remote mounted under the front splash guard. AcDelco PF52

1 - 12 of 12 Posts