S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 S10 reg.cab. I just lowered it 4/4 and i'm having some issues. My driver front tire is rubbing the hell out of my fender lip and the wheel well and i can't turn my wheels to the left all of the way. The slightest bump makes it hit the wheel well hard. What are my options?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have 15s with 215/70 15 tires. they are stock wheels with a little less profile tires.
no alignment because i just lowered it today. I have i little toe out and neg. chamber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I checked the tires after i set it on the ground. They looked fine. A little toe out wouldn't be a problem since it's going to be aligned tomorrow morning.
sorry they are big. As you can see the driver front side dips alot and the tire hits the well. I used spindles and springs in front and blocks in the back. I also replaced the shocks but with stock ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i guess i'll just align it and see what happens. two other people helped me lower the truck so i hope one of them didn't mess it up. You don't have a problem bottoming out?

·
NO REGRETS
12,378 Posts
not unless i hit a big bump. here is a chart comparing the stock tires, your tires, and my tires. when i first lowered my truck, and had the stock tires, they rubbed badly and it bottomed out alot. my new tires are fine. you can see the differences in the height and width of our tires.

yours are 1.36" taller than mine, and 0.39" wider

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got those tires and they were expensive. guess i should have planned ahead. i'll be switching rims and rubbers soon so i'll try that.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
an alignment would help some but you still need smaller tires. Are you sure you got the correct drop? Did you measure before you drop?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i checked the coils and they appear to be seated correctly. everything looks as it should be. New tires and alignment are a must but the driver front appears to be 1" lower and the pass. rear is 1" higher. What could cause this?

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
What do you mean it "appears to be 1 inch"? Measure it. Measure from the center of the bottom lip of fender to the ground on both sides. Summitt Racing sells a Belltech spacer that will raise it 1/2". You put it on top of the coil. It may take care of the lean and alot of the clearance problem.

BEL-4930 Belltech Front Spring Spacers
Bushing, Spring Spacer, Front Upper, .750 in. Tall, Polyurethane, Black, Chevy/ GMC, S-Series Pickup/ SUV, Eac...

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=coil+spring+spacer&N=700+4294908216+4294924744+4294907469+400013+115+4294881596&Ntk=KeywordSearch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i tried to put back in the stock coils but they woulgn't go in.WTF? I put back in the drop coils and the problem was solved maybe it was seated incorrectly. That and i rolled the fender out of frustration with a hammer. rides better and doesn't rub. still can't turn all of the way though and haven't measured it yet but seems promising.

·
Registered
490 Posts
maybe a spacer will fix the dreaded "chevy lean".anyone know where i can get a good one? just needs to be about 1".
Adding a 1" spacer to the coil spring will raise that corner more than 1". The spring is in between the control arm mount on the frame and the ball joint, so the LCA acts as a lever arm. Multiply: Spacer compressed thickness*(distance from BJ to LCA bushing/distance from spring to LCA bushing) to get the distance it will raise it (not counting any jacking effect from unequal diagonal ground pressures)

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
Adding a 1" spacer to the coil spring will raise that corner more than 1". The spring is in between the control arm mount on the frame and the ball joint, so the LCA acts as a lever arm. Multiply: Spacer compressed thickness*(distance from BJ to LCA bushing/distance from spring to LCA bushing) to get the distance it will raise it (not counting any jacking effect from unequal diagonal ground pressures)
Are you sure about that? He has drop coils in now. The ball joints are closer together than they were to start with.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
The distance between balljoints never change, they are always exactly the same, changing them would mess up your steering geometry bigtime.

He is correct about the spacer tho. The lower control arm is a lever, and the coil is about 1/2 way, which makes it a 2:1 ratio. So if you put a spacer in thats 1" tall, youll see 2" of gain at the wheel, depending on wheel offset.

kuchie89, you need a spring compressor to put the stocks back in, that or put them in from the back but thats such a pain in the ass i wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts