S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've known for quite a while that the Redneck Truck (1985 4x4 3.4 crate, Eddy/Holley, headers, big exhaust Etc.) had at least one weak valve. I ran a compression test on Saturday:
1. 90#
2. 90#
3. 60#
4. 90#
5. 0 :rant:
6. 90#

I guess that answers the question why my exhaust tone is so strange.
Even weirder... the engine still has pretty good bag to it. :dunno:

This poor truck is slowly coming apart at the seams.
It needs a heater core, reinstall A/C, left side rear spring shackle is junk (rusty frame), will need new front brakes soon and a few tires, driver floor is gone, cab mounts are whipped, bed is wasted, tranny slips in O/D, phooey...

I guess I'll do a valve job since this engine can go into another S10. I can't imagine what it will be like with al 6 cylinders firing again.

My guess... the tranny will go boom. :(

Anyway, stay tuned. I'll post pix of the whole show.

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
Max,
Buggers..........:(

what is up with cylinder 3? Valves too?

Maybe time to make your 85 a parts car for the others?

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ The weird part about this truck is it still runs well and drives fine, despite all of the problems. I drove it from Syracuse NY to Baton Rouge last fall... at 75 MPH most of the way.

I am guessing it's valves since the engine has no blow-by which would indicate a bad piston.
If this had a 2.8 in it, I would blow it off, but it has a GM crate 3.4 in it.

Eh, all of these repairs don't amount to a pile of cash, but the time involved is a whole different issue.
I'm also curious to see how this rig will perform with all cylinders functioning. It has probably had at least one burnt valve since I bought it.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once the Old Duke is running again - and it runs well (I hope), I'll be pulling this rig apart. I'll take pix of the whole process from start to finish.
Since I'll have the heads off, I might as well do some porting to this pig too.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, since I work for a Federal agency, they can decide where I go at a moment's notice.
I am being transferred to Shreveport, LA - where they used to build S10 pickups... :)

There was some pretty heavy flooding there last month, so off I go.
I am hoping I will only be gone for 2 months, but that means this project will be on hold for a bit.
It's about 4.5 hours away, I may be able to drive back for the weekends to continue, but...

And typical - the truck blew out the water pump last weekend.

So add that to the "list".

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
hmm.........
Hope you find a hidden treasure of a truck out there. Probably mostly rusted vehicle their now.

good luck..............

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ Might have to...:haha:

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
I've been up around Shreveport a few times lately. I gotta head to Vivian on Monday. I actually passed by that road where the S10 factory was. It's "only" a 3.5 hour drive from my house. I like taking I-49 cuz I can set the cruise on 80.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been up around Shreveport a few times lately. I gotta head to Vivian on Monday. I actually passed by that road where the S10 factory was. It's "only" a 3.5 hour drive from my house. I like taking I-49 cuz I can set the cruise on 80.
I'm heading up there in about 15 minutes.
Driving the Ford Turbo powered Nissan PU. No A/C though. Boo.

I-49 is the shite. Few staties and the speed limit is 75.

If you're in the area, stop by. I'm at the Residence Inn on Monkhouse rd. I'll have plenty of beer and Maker's...

You know I'll be visiting the local Upull... :haha:

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
I can't partake in the drinks, being in a company van and on the clock. Well, that and being 3.5 hours from home. I had to get back ASAP to catch another call in Alexandria. Drove 8+ hours and 500+ miles yesterday for two service calls totaling 3 hours of work.

Speaking of Upull and Alexandria, there's one that looks pretty good in/near Alexandria. It's to the right when headed north. One thing I love about this cargo van and traveling is that I can pick up craigslist and salvage yard scores from remote locations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
s10xtremist
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing