S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
s-10 white rabite
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time i look at a speaker it say like 300 RMS and 1000 peek. what does RMS stand for and what is the best watts to run throw it to make it sould clean as hell. I am not looking for that loud bass but that nice clean sound that will hit all the frequency just right. i am looking at puttting 3 alpine R types 10 in the back sit of my reg 2000 s-10. bit have no idea what will sound clear as days with them. thanks ecko:dunno: :troutslap :boom:

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
ecko said:
Every time i look at a speaker it say like 300 RMS and 1000 peek. what does RMS stand for and what is the best watts to run throw it to make it sould clean as hell. I am not looking for that loud bass but that nice clean sound that will hit all the frequency just right. i am looking at puttting 3 alpine R types 10 in the back sit of my reg 2000 s-10. bit have no idea what will sound clear as days with them. thanks ecko:dunno: :troutslap :boom:
RMS is the factory recommended amount of power the speaker will handle continously. generally it is not wise to run more power to the sub then is recommened from the factory, but ..... some companies do under rate their products. so check around and see what other people are running to the same subs and if they have had problems or if the sub can handle more then what the numbers say :thumbup:

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
well one thing i have leared with all this crap is that rms is what matters peak performance is BS, the higher the rms the more passive the speaker is but usually the better the quality is, so if you are lookin at amps or something look at the rms rating not the max power because sometimes it rediculous what they claim!

·
Registered
88 Posts
trust me bro, that JBL amp isnt too much power for two type R's. Yes RMS is more important than peak, but dont be fooled either way. If a speaker says 300watts rms, it wont hurt it to put double that into it. Of course it will rarely get the peak power an amp can dish out. Music is different and the amp is only going to respond to the music u listen to. So pretty much if ur a mozart fan, dont expect ur 1000 watt beast to get its feathers ruffled any time soon, but on the other hand, if ur listening to pipe organs all day long, ud better be running a good amp and a good set of subs.

I myself will be running 2 MTX 1000D's, one per each one of my subs, which are Alpine Type R 15's. Should be around 1200 watts rms per sub, depending on the music I play.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, your amp that puts out 1000rms @2ohms isn't going to be putting out 1000 watts all that often. Take a multimeter to a speaker that is playing music....watch the impedance fluctuate, your speaker may rise to 10ohms at a certain frequency, then down to 4, back up to 8...it's constantly changing, so your amp is rarely seeing that 2ohm load. Ahhh, the beauty of aperiodic enclosures (kill that damn impedance spike).

·
0 Posts
low-blazer said:
I just did an install with 2 Type-R 10 running off a JBL BP1200.1 (way too much power). The subs are getting between 3-400 each...and they're taking it well. I wouldn't go more than that though. The Type-R's are a good all around sub...pretty good sound quality and hit pretty damn hard for 10's
i just got my 10" type S's, theyre very nice, i like them, ive yet to hear them, i need to get an amp:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts