S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Chevy S10 2.2L RWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up y'all, I just got this truck a few months back and it's been my daily since then. Been keeping up with maintenance, but this one issue has mostly eluded me.

Every once in a while, it'll have a long start where it'll just crank for a while, then I'll try to start it again and it fires up after that second time. This becomes very consistent after I reach around a half a tank. Anywhere above 3/4 tank of gas this never happens, which leads me to believe it's some sort of fuel pump/pressure issue. I've been crawling around online and haven't found a way to specifically tackle this issue, how to pin down exactly what it is and fix it, so I was wondering if any of you have insight into how I could go about this.

This is my first car ever so I'm largely ignorant as to how these machines function, try to explain things in pretty elementary terms if you can. Just so the info gets through my insanely thick skull. Willing to get my hands dirty and buy some tools to fix it myself if need be. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is this For the 1998 s10 with the 2.2 listed in your profile?
Do you have a check engine light on?

Since you suspect a fuel pressure issue you can rule it out by renting a fuel pressure tester from autozone/oreillys/advance and see what pressure you have when the problem comes up.

This video can help shed light on the task:

If you find you are having fuel pressure/delivery issues you can start by replacing the fuel filter. If it was the fuel pressure regulator you would see problems more consistently.

Did you get any service records with the truck?

Reactions: CaineFM

·
Registered
690 Posts
You should do a pressure test as mentioned above.

However I have a 2003 S10 4.3 Auto. The fuel pump was whining on it, I changed the fuel filter and it still remained. I kept driving it anyway. Eventually it started giving issues with it's first/cold start it would have an extended crank before it finally started but after that it would fire right up again until the next day it repeated.

I ended up replacing the fuel pump with a US Motor Works pump because I knew either way whether the first/cold start issue was fuel pump related or not that the pump was going bad to begin with.

Well after replacing the fuel pump that issue is gone it fires right up every time no problem even after sitting for days. The fuel pumps on GM vehicles of this era do tend to fail around the 100,000 mile range some get lucky and they last much longer.

If it does end up being your fuel pump be sure to replace the fuel filter as well, you may want to just go ahead and replace the fuel filter anyway it is a maintenance item and is due around every 30,000 miles it could actually be your problem and it is cheap.

·
Registered
1998 Chevy S10 2.2L RWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this For the 1998 s10 with the 2.2 listed in your profile?
Do you have a check engine light on?

Since you suspect a fuel pressure issue you can rule it out by renting a fuel pressure tester from autozone/oreillys/advance and see what pressure you have when the problem comes up.

This video can help shed light on the task:

If you find you are having fuel pressure/delivery issues you can start by replacing the fuel filter. If it was the fuel pressure regulator you would see problems more consistently.

Did you get any service records with the truck?
Yep, this is for the '98 2.2L. The check engine light was on for an oxygen sensor reading low voltages but I switched that sensor out last weekend and cleared the code, since then the code has stayed off. The original one looked a bit funky so I'm pretty sure the sensor itself was the issue there. So at the moment, no check engine light.

I'll rent a pressure tester and I'm definitely going to replace that fuel filter, the one on it right now surely is due for a swap, thank you for your thoughtful reply!

·
Registered
1998 Chevy S10 2.2L RWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should do a pressure test as mentioned above.

However I have a 2003 S10 4.3 Auto. The fuel pump was whining on it, I changed the fuel filter and it still remained. I kept driving it anyway. Eventually it started giving issues with it's first/cold start it would have an extended crank before it finally started but after that it would fire right up again until the next day it repeated.

I ended up replacing the fuel pump with a US Motor Works pump because I knew either way whether the first/cold start issue was fuel pump related or not that the pump was going bad to begin with.

Well after replacing the fuel pump that issue is gone it fires right up every time no problem even after sitting for days. The fuel pumps on GM vehicles of this era do tend to fail around the 100,000 mile range some get lucky and they last much longer.

If it does end up being your fuel pump be sure to replace the fuel filter as well, you may want to just go ahead and replace the fuel filter anyway it is a maintenance item and is due around every 30,000 miles it could actually be your problem and it is cheap.
Interesting, yeah I'm at about 140k miles so I might want to pay good close attention to the pump. Like I said above I'm going to replace that filter for sure regardless, and I'm not sure if the pump had been replaced before since I sadly don't have any service records with it. But these filters seem decently cheap and easy to replace so I'll get that filter on ASAP. This one has definitely been on for more than 30K by the looks of it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Interesting, yeah I'm at about 140k miles so I might want to pay good close attention to the pump. Like I said above I'm going to replace that filter for sure regardless, and I'm not sure if the pump had been replaced before since I sadly don't have any service records with it. But these filters seem decently cheap and easy to replace so I'll get that filter on ASAP. This one has definitely been on for more than 30K by the looks of it.
When it doubt change it out in regards to fuel filters. A lot of people fail to replace the fuel filter but they do not understand how important it actually is. Not only does it protect your fuel system by obviously filtering but if you do not replace it, it can start to clog up and even a partial clog will start putting excessive strain on the pump and eventually weaken and burn it up.

As for if the fuel pump has been changed before or not, if it was changed it will have a new connector spliced on to it but it doesn't mean it is not bad if it has been replaced before because it could have one of those cheap $30 pumps.

And if you do end up needing a pump RockAuto has AC Delco/GM Genuine which is OEM for $150 to $187

They also have US Motor Works for $87 and while I cannot speak for everyone else I can say my experience so far with the US Motor Works is excellent, no problems at all from it but time will tell for certain on that.

·
Registered
1998 Chevy S10 2.2L RWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When it doubt change it out in regards to fuel filters. A lot of people fail to replace the fuel filter but they do not understand how important it actually is. Not only does it protect your fuel system by obviously filtering but if you do not replace it, it can start to clog up and even a partial clog will start putting excessive strain on the pump and eventually weaken and burn it up.

As for if the fuel pump has been changed before or not, if it was changed it will have a new connector spliced on to it but it doesn't mean it is not bad if it has been replaced before because it could have one of those cheap $30 pumps.

And if you do end up needing a pump RockAuto has AC Delco/GM Genuine which is OEM for $150 to $187

They also have US Motor Works for $87 and while I cannot speak for everyone else I can say my experience so far with the US Motor Works is excellent, no problems at all from it but time will tell for certain on that.
In my minimal experience I've heard good things on US Motor Works as well so I might go for that, if I have a little extra cash I'll jump on the GM Genuine though since it's my daily. Definitely picking up that filter and swapping it today though, hopefully nothings clogged up too bad. I'll keep all of that in mind for changing the fuel pump- I'm sure it'll happen at some point regardless even if there's no issue now, I plan on keeping this thing till it turns into soil if I can!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts