S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the search function but couldn't find a discussion about the OBX vs. the Ebay headers. The OBX new is $3-400 and the Ebay is $65. Huge price difference. I would like to know if someone has done the Ebay header and has dyno numbers. I very much want to upgrade my exhaust. Mine is a 99 2.2 M5 bone stock. Looking to do the quad 4 throttle body and CAI as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Nobody has tried the ebay header? I've seen the numbers for the OBX. It is proven. Just want to know if anyone has tried the ebay header and if its garbage or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My ebay header seems to work well, nice welds, could tell a noticible difference. Fit ok, had to trim some. The ball flange is trash though. My advice would be to lop it off and put in a flex joint. I've had leak problems at the flange. But I think they all have the same flange.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the header I purchased.

I've been looking at cats and cat back systems and found a dual exhaust system for the 2.2. Seems kind of ridiculous and funny. Anyone running a dual exhaust on their 2.2? Obviously not true dual but might look good from the back.

·
Boozebag
9,271 Posts
All of the Ebay headers are pretty much from the same source.
All the same design... just look.

A header won't do dicky unless you do something after it.
Like a true 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" exhaust behind the header.
Hi flow cat, low restriction muffy, and real tailpipe.

Remember, a 2.2 won't do a big improvement in performance unless you also do a tune to the ECU.

You will notice some noise improvement, but not a big gain in the 1320.

So... a header is always an improvement, but you will also need to improve the stuff behind the header.

Confucius say: Header good, exhaust stock bad
Ha....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I absolutely intend to replace the entire exhaust with a header, high flow cat or straight pipe, and cat back. Combined with a CAI and quad 4 TB and a tune. Should be a nice improvement in power.

·
time to get cereal
3,382 Posts
The ball flange works fine for me... I've got an ebay stainless header, can't remember the brand name. It was more $$ because I needed one with air injection.

I noticed people don't know how to put the hardware on the ball flange correctly, that's probably why people think they are "trash".

Anyway, the header almost touches the lower radiator hose, will most likely burn it a little. Switching to a Corsica water inlet switches the lower hose and heater hose positions giving you more space.

stock:

Corsica:

Reactions: Harley

·
time to get cereal
3,382 Posts
It was on VIN 5 and VIN H trucks, well at least outside of California... which would be 2000-2003 only. 99 is the only year with no EGR or AIR I believe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts