S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
94 s10 vin "W"
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone converted there obd1 truck to obd2? I would like to convert my 94 vin w over to obd2 so I can keep fuel injection and nit have to find a place to burn chips for tuning. What all would need to be done?

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
you are gonna have to go with an aftermarket setup that allows for ecu tuning. GM did not use CPI in full ODB2.

·
Registered
916 Posts
When I changed my 95 Beretta from "obd1.5" over to obd2 I had to swap engine and dash harnesses along with some hvac stuff, some evap lines, and some other small stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When the engine in my '95 Blazer ate itself it was almost impossible to find a vin w engine. I wound up using a vin z engine as a replacement. Pretty much the only differences I had with the swap was to change over ignition parts. I used the distributor, coil, ignition module, crankshaft reluctor wheel from the old engine. I replaced the plastic timing cover with one for the crankshaft position sensor, and replaced the sponsor as well. Otherwise all other sensors and plugs were direct fit into my wiring harness.
What you ant to do will be somewhat more involved. You'll need the appropriate ECM and wiring harness including the OBD II port for under the dash

John

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
you are gonna have to go with an aftermarket setup that allows for ecu tuning. GM did not use CPI in full ODB2.
X2
GM never used pulse and hold injection in OBD2 much less a single injector system such as the CPI motors run. The newer PCM would also have no way to control the tuning valve on the CPI intake.
For a lot less work and money you could get a set up to flash your own ECM.
Go to TunerCat and get their software around $70 for the editor, and another $20 for the DEF file. You'll need an Epromm eraser and and a programmer with an adapter so you can put the Memcal right in it, so you'd be spending another $150 or so.

·
jax4x4.com
2,708 Posts
the chip burning stuff isn't really that expensive. look at the burn2 at moates.net

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
Easiest and cheapest way would be to sell your truck and buy a 96+.

·
Registered
85 Posts
try this: http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

I'm going to use this set up in my '90 454 SS.
I havent used it yet, however I have heard good things about it. The only draw back I know of is that it wont control a E transmission, but I think you can leave the old controller in and use it as a standalone or you can get a stand alone control module.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
try this: http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

I'm going to use this set up in my '90 454 SS.
I havent used it yet, however I have heard good things about it. The only draw back I know of is that it wont control a E transmission, but I think you can leave the old controller in and use it as a standalone or you can get a stand alone control module.
I think you'd be better off with a Moates setup and TunerCat real time tuning, plus when your done with your tune, you can flash it ti an eeprom and take the setup off and use it on your next OBD1 project and your truck will still have its tune

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think you'd be better off with a Moates setup and TunerCat real time tuning, plus when your done with your tune, you can flash it ti an eeprom and take the setup off and use it on your next OBD1 project and your truck will still have its tune
Could be, what I understand about the EBL, is that you have better control over the system. There are several over at the 454SS forums that have installed it. It is giving better control with different cams and even superchargers and such. It tunes similar to the OBDII stuff. I'm going to give it a shot. I'll report back when I get it up and going.
My plan is also to get HP tuner when I do a 5.3 swap on my S10.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Could be, what I understand about the EBL, is that you have better control over the system. There are several over at the 454SS forums that have installed it. It is giving better control with different cams and even superchargers and such. It tunes similar to the OBDII stuff. I'm going to give it a shot. I'll report back when I get it up and going.
My plan is also to get HP tuner when I do a 5.3 swap on my S10.
All any of them can really do is replace the memory chip with a circuit that is flashablr. There is no performance gain just ease of tuning. I know rhey also offer a service to replace the injector drivers, but that is for reliabilty not performance. Look in to Craig Moates stuff before you crack the nut on buying that package..

·
Registered
85 Posts
All any of them can really do is replace the memory chip with a circuit that is flashablr. There is no performance gain just ease of tuning. I know rhey also offer a service to replace the injector drivers, but that is for reliabilty not performance. Look in to Craig Moates stuff before you crack the nut on buying that package..
I'll check out Moates. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts