S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
99 s10 4 banger.
Live in California so gotta pass smog.
Have 2 monitors left that won't set.
It's the upstream o2 sensor and the cat.
Both parts are brand new still not much luck. Gonna keep driving it any tips?

Tried disconnecting the battery for 1 hr
Replaced cat, both 02 sensors, gas cap and a fresh oil change. The battery was changed out less then a year ago.

There are no trouble codes or check engine lights on.

Namaste

· Been there Done it
15,784 Posts
If you do some Googling GM has a driving procedure to help reset most emission readiness. Basically drive it around town a bit then get on the freeway and cruise for a bit.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do some Googling GM has a driving procedure to help reset most emission readiness. Basically drive it around town a bit then get on the freeway and cruise for a bit.
Yea tried the drive cycles a few times. No luck yet thanks for reaching out.

· Registered
1984 S15 2.8 5 sp
265 Posts
Age/mileage of ignition components? What are your fuel trims? OEM O2 sensors, or cheap Amazon knock offs? What are the sensor signals doing as seen on a scan tool?

I had an ‘04 F150 that took 1500 miles to clear the final readiness module. Remember that every time you reset codes, it clears all modules and brings you back to a P1000 code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
218 Posts
I read somewhere (on here?) that the reset only happens after 100 key-on/run cycles unless you reset it with a scan tool. I used the Torque OBD program to reset mine, after changing one O2 and the cat. Killed the light right away.

· Been there Done it
15,784 Posts
Emission Readiness Monitors aren't the same as clearing a code. You can't reset them with a scanner. The computer has to do it by itself and it will when it's darn good and ready to. If it feels like it and is in the right mood.

Reactions: S15E83

· Registered
759 Posts
Yup, I remember it taking up to 122 180 mi for the monitors to all set.
But it's more about drive cycles I think that sets the monitors but that's when you're up to full operating temperature so in the winter time it's going to take longer best bet is to go on a long drive on the freeway and burn up a half a tank or something, there is a diagnostic tool that reads all your monitors though I think there's five or seven on this truck that need to be set.
But the best thing is to not try to keep resetting your check engine light or disconnecting your battery every time you do that the longer it's going to take what a scam the smog check is.

I think that drive cycle includes full operating temperature and then cooling down all the way also on the catalytic needs to get hot all the way and then cool off all the way not sure might be wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts