S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m doing an LS swap with a T56 out of 2001 f-body. My truck was originally a NV3500, I know the shifter location is back farther. I was told or heard like 4 1/2” or so. Does anybody have an exact measurement? I need to patch the old shifter hole and cut a new one.

·
Been there Done it
7,801 Posts
@Harley has one in his Blazer. He should be able to tell you how to.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I didn't measure... I put the T56 in without the shifter on it to roughly find the center. I then made a template of the S10 shifter hole and cut that out, so I could reuse the foam seal from my NV1500. It starts right at the rear of the existing hole.

If I were to do it again I'd roughly locate the center again, but cut the hole shape to fit the 4th gen Camaro shifter boot I used. I'd still keep the S10 foam seal, but the way the shift boot is designed it would have worked much better to seal to the floor if the hole was shaped for it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that guys were using the old foam from the nv3500’s after I sold mine, so I didn’t keep the foam. I checked with GM and that is discontinued, you have any ideas where to possibly fine it?.....

39,696 Posts
Most of the used ones are rotten and deteriorating. I just used a piece of dynamat to cover the hole except for where the shifter needs to move under the outter boot and console and it's quieter now than it was with the stock foam thing in there.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
S10warehouse on eBay just found some recently that were lost on his shelf. I've had an eBay saved search for a long time and they just popped up. He's asking around $40/50.

I found my current one in the yard, but @Mostizzle is right. Most are trash by now.

·
Hardhead
830 Posts
Those seals are getting pretty sketchy by now, like mentioned. I saved my seal when I pulled the clutch components from the donor. It's a lot better than nothing. As long as they seal where the shifter enters the trans tunnel you should be good to go. The part in the trans tunnel is going to catch crap from the road no matter what so I wasn't too worried about it's condition.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Harley I ordered one from the S10warehouse and also ordered a 4th gen Camaro shift boot for inside. That way I can get my hole cut exact. My truck was originally a 5 speed truck with the full center console. I’m pretty sure that’s not going to work with the T56. I was thinking of building a custom one from scratch once I start re installing the interior.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I'm not running a console, but I've seen several guys take an automatic center console without the shifter and the T56 shifter pops up in the cupholder space.

·
Been there Done it
7,801 Posts
Then where do you put your beer can?
While your working on it.
I'd never condone driving with a beer in the cup holder. :eek:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There's still a cupholder in the door. Closer to the outside of the truck where I'm usually working on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts