S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased so I have fixed any of the quirks yet.
Im thinking the rubber seal,donut,what ever you want to call it,that seals the upper
part of shifter to body is gotten hard with age.
New clutch that PO had installed feels like one from a dump truck also,but clutch isnt dragging
I guess first thing would be to remove the rubber but Im sure it will destroy it and dont know if I can buy new a one

·
Gears and Differentials
1,326 Posts
I put a Centerforce DF in the '99 that I had and it worked very well. If it wasn't so much trouble to swap it I would have taken it out before I sold the truck. I've still got the nearly new stock clutch that was in the '99. I went to GM and got the right oil to go in the transmission and it made it shift better.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Are you absolutely sure the clutch isn't dragging?

Simple tests.

Turn off engine. Move shifter to all gear positions. Start engine, push clutch pedal to floor. Move shifter to all gear positions. If it's more difficult (more resistance to movement) with the engine running, the clutch is dragging.

Second test. Do this one in a parking lot or driveway with some room in front of (or behind) the truck in case it moves. It also needs to be on level ground, so it doesn't roll down hill. Turn off engine. With engine not running Select first gear (or reverse if there's space behind you). Release parking brake. Do not press service brake pedal. Press clutch pedal only (no brakes) to floor. Start engine. Does truck roll in direction of gear selected? If yes, then your clutch is dragging.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shifts hard engine running or not

BGH I agree with the CF DF solution,have one in the 83 blazer 4x4 with 3.4.
Put that in after a teenage driver tore up 2 clutches mud boggin,or beach driving.
and its been in there 22 yrs.

Ive never had a stock hydraulic clutch as stiff as this one.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also to assure its not just a dragging clutch,problem also persists with engine off and moving shifter in the neutral gate.

Ive never had a transmission as stiff shifting or a hydraulic clutch as stiff as this.I did have a clutch as stiff,it was a 12 inch mechanical clutch made for a dump truck that was in my 72 C20.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a walk thru the FSM and I feel cheated,like its only a primer .
It claims no serviceable parts in the shift tower,only fix is to replace.
Has anyone torn into one and if so have any pics or tips?

·
Gears and Differentials
1,326 Posts
I had to replace some parts in the shifter on mine, but I found a junk yard shifter to get parts from. The parts in the full size truck shifter are the same. The length of the stick and the height of the tower are the only difference. I've still got what's left of that shifter around here somewhere.

·
Gears and Differentials
1,326 Posts
Someone else had been inside it before and lost some parts. I think they tried to disassemble the shifter so that they could remove the transmission and some parts got lost. The shifter was very sloppy and you couldn't tell which gear you were going into. The only shifter I could find was from a full size Chevy NV3500, but most of the parts were exactly the same. I can't remember exactly what parts I had to use, but I think one of them was a spring. It's been a few years since I did this, so I don't remember exactly.

·
Gears and Differentials
1,326 Posts
I've never had one of them, so I don't know.

·
Gears and Differentials
1,326 Posts
Shifter parts are the same except the height of the tower and the length of the stick. What parts are you needing for it? I think I still have the rest of the shifter that I used for parts.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont know yet what I need
havent pulled it apart.
I got that the part we call the porch is taller and stick longer
but if I can bolt it up just to try shifting,it will tell me if its a shifter problem or a rail problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
3 Participants
dime-dozen
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing