S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this today at our local PAP...yep. It’s a 60 degree 2.8. Wow.

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Been there Done it
6,857 Posts
I think you nailed it. The late 1st gens didn't have a white background on the 10th mile dial like most other early vehicles.
Back then engines rarely made it past 100K, so there was no need for a 6 digit odometer. FI changed that.

·
the new guy
640 Posts
I looked at our truck yesterday and the 10ths marker is on the trip meter. so those seem to be just miles with no tens.

I filled up the 92 and reset the trip to see if they odometer and trip flip tenths at the same time and the odometer didn't move from the gas station to my house, which is only 1/3 of a mile

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's DEFINITELY 792,000. The tenths are always white.

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you nailed it. The late 1st gens didn't have a white background on the 10th mile dial like most other early vehicles.
Back then engines rarely made it past 100K, so there was no need for a 6 digit odometer. FI changed that.
I don't know that's entirely accurate. I drove lots of cars over 100k. In fact, most were pretty reliable to 150k or more. S-10 2.8s when properly maintained could get many hundreds of thousands of miles. My 84 had 140k on the original engine. It was severely mistreated too by the first and subsequent owner. It was all chunky monkey inside the engine. Look like they never changed the oil. The second engine lasted about 150k and I ran the dogdoo out of it for 10 years running pizzas in it, and it still ran well. Freeze plugs rusted out and I parked it till I got the 3.4 for it.

Later ugly dash s10s didn't show tenths in the odometer. Only the trip. My 84 shows tenths on both. Tenths will always show black on white. Every single car I ever owned in my life with an analog odometer shows tenths in black on a white background. Pretty sure that's to make sure people don't misread. The original image shows the trip odo too....I will post it as well. It's legit 800k.

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Old Dash. 6 black digits and one white digit. 82-85 were carbureted and they showed hundreds of thousands. They just eliminated the tenths on 86 on main speedos although the trip retained them. Foreign cars showed them for many years before American cars did.... Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas were way better cars back then though for sure than American counterparts. Sad, but true. We've leveled the playing field though I think these days.

This gauge appears to be an 82-83. Looks like it's got the "boobie" glass. Only 82-83. Always thought that looked weird.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had a 78 Olds that when thru three engines, from V6 to V8 and back to V6, maybe that's the case.

·
Been there Done it
6,857 Posts
OK I stand corrected. It has almost 800K.
Been years since my last gen1 and I never kept a 2.8 in long enough to go around the block.
So I have no way of knowing their longevity potential.
Thanks to the 1st gen experts for setting us (me) straight.

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I stand corrected. It has almost 800K.
Been years since my last gen1 and I never kept a 2.8 in long enough to go around the block.
So I have no way of knowing their longevity potential.
Thanks to the 1st gen experts for setting us (me) straight.
I honestly don't know much about a lot of things....but I'm pretty versed on the 1st generation s-10s. Especially the older girls 82-85. Solid little truck! I saw another one there recently that had almost 400k on it....I'll admit that I've NEVER seen one that high. I'd kept it going and got a million if you've gone that far you know?

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy carp....I am wrong about the 82-85 gauges. Some only show hundred thousands but after looking at some images I noticed that some show only ten thousands. I even saw a few with 140mph speedo and hundreds? I don't think the latter is stock though. Either way, they must have swapped to that for the final year? My 84 only shows ten thousands....I could SWEAR it showed hundreds too like the above image....I looked at it yesterday and thought I was losing my freaking mind.

Weird....that cluster looks like it has "boobie" glass which was only 82-83 although that stuff is bolt on and could have been swapped in. Don't know why anyone would want that....Fugly.

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the curiosity was killing me. I did a little research and it seems that the 82-83 which should be "boobie glass" gauge sets showed hundred thousands, but the flat glass 84-85 did not. Wonder why they went back to ten thousands....probably saved 11 cents per truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts