S-10 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
spent a few hours cleaning the motor up yesterday, pulled the harness off after labeling everything, also removed the intake manifold to find a ton of mud under it, taped off all the intake ports and I’m gonna clean the valley cover today as well as the top side of the heads. Still trying to decide on the intake manifold I wanna run with it. The nnbs is proven in producing power, it also uses a 4 bolt throttle body which would make it easy to hook up a cable drive throttle body which is the route I wanna go. Other option is the doorman truck manifold, mostly because I really like how it looks and it should have good high rpm potential, on the other hand it’s flanged for a smaller 3 bolt throttle body and I’m having a hard time locating a good cable drive 3 bolt throttle body. I have allot more reading to do but the option that makes more sense is the nnbs intake manifold for right now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
fit the nv3500 to the 4.8l, looked inside and the tip of the input shaft is sitting inside where the pilot bearing is supposed to go, the spline count and diameter is the same as a 4.8l Silverado nv3500 so I’m gonna order a clutch kit for a 2002 Silverado and the only thing left to see if it works will be the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
swap headers came in and fit great. Had to clean the welds up a little on the drivers side where the runners meet the flange but other then that they tuck in nicely. Also ordered a clutch for a 2002 4.8l Silverado for it. I figured out that my pcm wasn’t compatible with drive by cable so I picked up a 0411 pcm and a v6 5 speed Tranny cross member from pick a part for $65. I have a tbss intake manifold coming with an aftermarket 92mm throttle body. I’ll most likely order one of the stand alone harnesses off eBay for about $250 and wire in the instruments myself. Still need to get an oil pan, pickup tube and dipstick for the motor as well as decide on a camshaft for it. I’m thinking I’m gonna go with the btr stage 4 truck cam and ls6 springs in it because I know it will sound good and make decent power with the 4.8l. I tuned a nbs with a 4.8l and that cam and was surprised at how well it pulled. Also ordered new knock sensors as these ones pretty much fell apart while cleaning the valley cover. I feel like the project is starting to come together but there’s still allot of work to be done.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
A T5 or T56 would be a much better choice for transmission... the NV trannys are not quick shifters at all.
Neither are the T5's or the T56's, if you're going to spend the kind of money it takes to put in a T56, you might as well a few extra bucks and install a TR6060. It is a much better designed and smoother shifting transmission.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
got the transmission about 90% of the way cleaned up. I always like to have everything going in clean so leaks are easier to spot and it makes working on the truck much more enjoyable. Also got the gm muscle car pan installed today. Waiting on the cam and harness to come in then it should be pretty much ready to throw into the truck. I also got the chance to tune a turbo 5.3l tahoe the other day, it was mostly an eBay setup but it did pretty well besides the turbo definitely being too small for the 5.3, he wasn’t looking for a race truck just more power and cool noises.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Btr .560 valve springs and new stem seals are installed. New cam (btr stage 3 truck cam 218/224 .553 lift and 113lsa +3*) is installed as well. Got the cam springs and seals for $398 on eBay shipped. Motor is back together with new gaskets and seals. I was able to custom fit the return style rails on the nnbs intake manifold, that saved me about $150-180 on newer rails and the corvette filter setup. Still need to order a walbro 255 for it and got a Jeep Grand Cherokee steering shaft coming as well. I have pretty much everything I need now to start the swap though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
got the truck on the dyno yesterday. Pretty happy with what it made for a 4.8l with a mild cam and bolt ons. The truck feels great but may see a centrifugal supercharger in its future. I’m kinda undecided between doing that or picking up a 1rst gen s10 rcsb to throw a ls in and build a turbo kit on it. It would probably be pretty low budget, th400, stock motor with pac 1218’s and a gt45, I already have the turbo stuff and I can find decent 1st gens for cheap that need mechanical work so I’m kind of leaning on that route.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts