S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was actually lazy and decided to use the standard electric fan relay and temp switch you can get at the parts store. I haven’t made up my mind if I wanna spend the $100 to tune the truck yet but I probably will a little down the road. I got my new shocks on and finished the rear sway bar brackets and got everything hooked up. I’m really surprised how good the truck drives dropped. I’m happy I went with v6 springs in the front although it definitely needs some 2” drop knuckles up front and 2wd blazer brakes. Rear measures at 27” front is just a hair over 28”.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Blazer drop spindles have been hovering around $235 on Amazon. Best price you'll get anywhere/anytime.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You can get a set on eBay for $159 shipped. There’s also a local guy with a set of belltech drop spindles for a 2wd blazer for $175 with 3” blocks. Might see if he will sell the spindles alone for less.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So today this happened. Been wanting to put one of these tiny Superchargers on a car for a while. The unit is called an amr500 made by aisin, its a roots type 500cc pd blower, driven about 2.6-2.7 to 1 it should give me somewhere between 4-6lbs of boost in the s10 and not be over revved at redline. I’ll post up some results and videos once I build charge pipes and tune it on hptuners.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Decided to tune the s10 naturally aspirated today so I can have a fair comparison of tuned vs tuned once it’s supercharged. It was also interesting to see how horrible the stock tune was lol. With the stock tune afrs were about 15.0 up till power enrichment kicks in (at 3800rpm lol) then it would go from 11.8 afr to 10.9 towards the top end. I had thought for sure before tuning it the stock throttle body was a massive chocking point making the engine drop into vacuum in the higher rpms but to my surprise the map sensor read from 100kpa to 99.6kpa at rev limiter so its a tiny bit of vacuum but not to the point of being a big restriction. When I tune some Honda’s that have an undersize throttle body like my 1.7l d17 stroker insight with a 62mm throttle body (largest I could fit on a d16y8 intake manifold, no other manifolds will clear the engine bay) it will drop to about -4” of vacuum at rev limiter. After tuning the s10 I played around with air fuels at wide open, the truck seems to like mid to high 12’s for afrs, went as lean as 13.5 and as rich as 11.5 and it was definitely happiest around mid to high 12’s. I added a couple of degrees of timing in the lower rpm high load range because the truck definitely had a dead feeling in the lower rpms at high load and it definitely livened it up allot. I’m still on regular so I’m gonna wait till it’s about out of gas and refill with premium. With a lower comp motor like the 2.2 I don’t think it’s knock limited to get to mbt on regular but premium always has a bit more cushion and will he needed once the supercharger is all hooked up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Should have the intercooler by Monday so I’ll post an update on if it works out or not. I saw a video of one on a Honda del Sol that had a b18c1 swap, integra gsr motor, they make 180bhp stock. And it wouldn’t really build boost, after vtec it would drop down into 4-5” of vacuum and the guys were beating on it like oh yeah you can really feel it lol. I don’t know what speed ratio they had the blower driven at but the ratio I’m at with a 2.36” pulley vs the stock 2.2l 6.25” approx crank pulley is about the fastest I can run the supercharger for longevity. I’m hoping with the low volumetric efficiency of a 2v pushrod 2.2l I’ll be able to get some decent boost out of it. When I tuned it yesterday at peak tq it was about 88% on the ve table at the highest, toward rev limiter it dropped to 68% ve lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got the supercharger install finished up and tuned it this evening. I’ll post some videos up tomorrow. I think it’s only making 3-4lbs but it sounds really awesome and makes the truck super fun to drive. I maxed out the stock injectors at about 5500 rpm which is fine because I don’t rev it that high very often. Still have some more tuning to perfect it but it runs and drives great right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
great info . i will love to see dyno #’s . id do it to mine but im not giving a/c up here in south florida . everyone keeps suggesting i drop a v8 into mine but if a simple supercharger like this wakes up a 2.2 it will be a great option.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I don’t think it would put down impressive dyno numbers honeslty. The supercharger is a bit small for this engine, I had it on a smaller pulley making 6lbs and it felt pretty strong but the supercharger would get extremely hot from the speeds it was spinning at, like 250-300 degrees after a 10 minute drive so I put the larger pulley back on it. It makes 4lbs down in the lower rpms, about 2lbs in the mid range when the engine is at peak volumetric efficiency and almost 5lbs close to redline. It makes the little 2.2l fun to drive though and definitely turns allot of heads when driving it. I’ll have to take a video today if it stays dry out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Supposed to be picking up a 98+ nv3500 trans tomorrow, if that goes through I’m gonna start piecing together a 4.8 or 5.3 swap, I’ll probably go 4.8 since I can get one for free from a buddy, if I do I’d like to build a high rpm capable na ls for this truck. Nothing crazy powerful but should make the truck allot of fun to drive. I will probably swap it in stock for the time being with some shorty headers, build my own exhaust and do a decent cam down the road and a ls1 or something intake manifold.

·
Been there Done it
7,897 Posts
IIRC the truck manifold flows better than the LS1 manifold. Do a google search on the subject. There is a magazine dyno test of the intakes and although the truck manifold isn't the pretty one, it did quite well. Bear in mind the LS1 manifold was the first design.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Good read for sure. Looks like a tbss manifold would be the way to go for me. Its really nice to be able to see the dyno overlays and where certain intake manifolds make power vs others. I have a spare truck manifold laying around that I might spend time shaving so it’s not so ugly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Pulled the 4.8l I got for free from my buddy today. It was a pain to pull to be honest seems like it was just fighting the whole way. But long story short it’s out and safe in my garage to get prepped for the swap. Also picked up a 98+ nv3500 last night off of craigslist for $250. I’m gonna order a tbss manifold and aftermarket cable throttle body and work on cleaning, degreasing and the wiring for the time being. Still gotta order everything for the swap, mounts, swap headers, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder. I also need to do allot more research on the front engine accessories, wiring, clearancing the cross member and everything else to get the motor in and running. Luckily I already have hptuners and like to tune with it so that’s one less thing to worry about.

·
time to get cereal
2,467 Posts
A T5 or T56 would be a much better choice for transmission... the NV trannys are not quick shifters at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
T56 would have been wonderful but they are few and far between and usually 2k plus dollars. The truck isn’t gonna be a race truck just a fun daily so I guess I’ll have to deal with the nv3500.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts