Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
More pix:
Here's the "Jet" valve eliminators -

Here are the actual Jet valves:

Rocker arm/cam retainer removed

Plugs installed

Of course I knew this was a crapshoot. I have done this several times on other Mitsubishi engines with good results. This time I wasn't so lucky.
While this reduced the oil "cloud" quite a bit, it didn't eliminate it.

I had another Mighty Max which I bought in Baton Rouge and drove to NY State with a bad head gasket and using 4 quarts of oil in 1200 miles (!!)
Lucky I made it all the way.
I pulled the engine, installed new rings, bearings, eliminated the "Jet" and the balance shafts. Added a header and big exhaust... For a tug, the POS had some pretty decent bag to it.
I have a feeling this one is headed that way too.
I'm picking up the header from the ceramic coating place today, and have most of the exhaust to install.
More to come.

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I picked up the header from the powder coat guys... Ceramic coating

I changed direction a little.
Going with 2.5" head pipe into a 2.5" x 2.25" reducer into a high flow 2.25" in/out cat, connected to a 2.25" Spin Tech muff. 2.25" over axle tailpipe hidden from the public...

·
time to get cereal
4,640 Posts
Nice Max, must be nice being in Cali right now. It's 12 degrees in St Louis right now, every time I try to work on something the metal sucks all of the heat out of my hands, lol. Really need make getting heat in my garage a priority this year, I have lots of work to do.

I've been to Chico a few times to do control systems upgrades for the Smuckers juice factory up there. That's how I discovered the Sierra Nevada brewing company, pretty much my favorite beer now, lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice Max, must be nice being in Cali right now. It's 12 degrees in St Louis right now, every time I try to work on something the metal sucks all of the heat out of my hands, lol. Really need make getting heat in my garage a priority this year, I have lots of work to do.

I've been to Chico a few times to do control systems upgrades for the Smuckers juice factory up there. That's how I discovered the Sierra Nevada brewing company, pretty much my favorite beer now, lol.
I’m over on the Kansas City side so I feel your pain. The last couple of weeks have been brutal to say the least

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Gents, I feel your pain about the cold. It's been pretty breezy here too, pero nunca commo Tejas.
I have a bad feeling I'm headed for Texas...
I am currently in Oakland, CA., was transferred {at moments notice - like same day last Wednesday - be there that night)
Working 12 to 14/day doing COVID vaccines at the Oakland coliseum.
BLAH
Life for me is poopy

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Ill be heading back to Sacramento Wednesday
New frnt sway bar and left rear tail light assembly waiting at hotel.
more pix soon

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I'm back "home"
Never thought that a hotel would be considered home.
The Cat and tail light was here when I returned.
I'll post pix shortly

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
More pix:
Before -

After -

I had to go out back and pick off the money tree for this one. I paid out my azz for this POS.
It is a Mitsubishi factory "Sport" wheel which is sort of rare to say the least. It has the correct factory emblems too. Another crazy addition to this rig.

Here's the upgrade to the exhaust - since the exhaust manifold is cracked. Had to hit the money tree AGAIN for the header. $400 gone real quick.

$150 header... $250 ceramic coating. FTW.

I'm sending out the speedometer to have it recalibrated to the same mileage as the truck currently has on it. This is the cluster with a tachometer in it.
Poor tree... :cautious:

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,634 Posts
That’s a sharp looking wheel. Don’t worry, the money tree always grows more leaves.
That interior reminds me a lot of my Ford. Same color, very similar gauge cluster and stock steering wheel.

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
^^^ Didn't think about that Pants, but remembering several Fords that I owned in the past... you are right. Similar environment.

You're sort of right about the back yard tree too, since I'm not paying for my daughter to go to Cornell anymore, I've had a lot more pesos to work on projects like this.

It's really weird...
People stop me and relate stories about owning a rig like this and how they really wished they had one again. Like almost daily.
Awww... you can buy this one.
Maybe not

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)

The left tail light was busted up... I ordered an aftermarket replacement. The damn thing was so cheaply wired, I (literally) had to completely rewire it.
And... this is the third time it's happened with aftermarket tail lights... the running light filament was pinned with the bright (brake light filament) and the brake light was the dimmer filament. (??) I had to re-pin it so it was correct. Check out the mismatched wire color... o_O

Anyway, the result -

I have to replace the back up light switch on the transmission since the reverse lights don't work. Also installing LED bulbs instead of incandescent for the reverse bulbs.

I know it's super unlikely, but I'm looking for a 5 speed transmission. It's a KM132 by Mitsubishi nomenclature, and it's also for a narrow block engine (!!)
Fits the 2.0 liter engine to 1989. The 2.6 liter engine won't work.
See one around? I'll pay a finder's fee...

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
^^^ Thanks for the suggestion MBP. Didn't think of that.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts