S-10 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
^^^ The truck ran so miserably with the old carb, it was no fun to drive. The PO said it was getting about 15 to 16 MPG, the fuel gauge is not accurate. He was going by the odometer for fill ups.
I just checked the MPG - with a sort of heavy right foot, it is getting 17 to 18. I will try a more serious attempt to maximize MPG... probably near 20 to 21.
The truck runs so much better now, it's hard to believe.
Next is the exhaust system.
I just had it on a lift yesterday and took a bunch of pix. I'll post them shotly

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well, being a total imbecile, I left my tools on the seat in the truck. I got a call at 4:00AM telling me the passenger glass in my truck was broken.

Where the hell do you find a replacement glass for a 42 year old truck that has only 4 years interchange???
I spent over an hour on the phone and computer searching.
A big surprise... There was a truck in Rancho Cordova 12 miles away... The ONLY truck in over a 250 mile circle.
$32.

I spent 30 minutes vacuuming all of the glass. That crap goes EVERYWHERE!!

^^^ This helped a little. Flashy label, the tequila was pretty good.

After all said and done, the urchin who smashed and grabbed cost me right around the grand mark. Loss of a day of work, $350 worth of tools, cost of glass and incidentals.
Teach my lazy azz a very expensive lesson.

I know someone is going to say claim it on insurance...
Think of this - $225 deductible and my rate will skyrocket - all I would receive is about $150.
Not happening.

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
More random pix...

Check out the monster tailpipe

IMG_3478.JPG

Duplicate picture - sorry. I was going to install speakers in the doors. Each door has a speaker opening, but it would involve cutting the panels. decided not to go that route.

e...

Super clean underbody

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,634 Posts
After all said and done, the urchin who smashed and grabbed cost me right around the grand mark. Loss of a day of work, $350 worth of tools, cost of glass and incidentals.
Teach my lazy azz a very expensive lesson.
Reading is hard

·
Registered
98'S10 LS
35 Posts
I worked as a plumbers apprentice back in the early 80's and the shop had one of those little long bed D50's with a pipe rack on it. It didn't like the ditch witch though,little too much weight for the little truck.
We loaded it down with pipe and water heaters one morning and it didn't even know it had all that weight on it. Probably the best truck the shop had. It was the same color!

·
time to get cereal
4,640 Posts
Do I see a 2-piece driveshaft on that little truck?

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I guess I was too involved in the description Pants
It was supposed to read -
Lost about $350 worth of tools, lost a day's wages and had to spend time finding a replacement glass. Adds up to about $1,000 in loss for a POS azzhole's 2 minute smash and grab.

89 Dime, the results are here ^^^.

MBP, I don't know why it has a 2 piece D shaft, it's a pretty short truck. The center bearing rubber support is deteriorating, the rubber is bumming out from age. I was thinking of having a one piece shaft made, but it really doesn't matter - I guess.

I did reassemble the passenger door with a new vapor barrier. I used Gorilla glue spray adhesive, I managed to get my hands into it and looks like it's going to have to wear off unless I find a solvent to remove it.

Scoots, although these trux aren't bulletproof, they sure are way cool for what they can do. I'm really happy I bagged this rig instead of a few Jaguars I looked at and various other sh*t boxes too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You gotta be careful in California. There’s homeless people and druggies everywhere. When I was in Iowa, people would leave there phones at a table and go to the counter to order food. You should probably put some sort of anti theft. But yeah, that’s a bummer!

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,413 Posts
Max- your need a New England Alarm and Theft Retaliation System - 125lb Dane/Lab Mix- loves to ride and drool- and don't reach into his ride- likes FINGER FOOD.:cool:

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
I really need to carry my .357 more often.
I don't because I would probably shoot somebody for messing with my vehicle.
I would also probably be deaf. That damn pop gun is LOUD.
They would call it murder and I would be locked up for good.

Hawke, the dog thing sounds like a better plan.

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I guess I'll be reassembling the driver side door since I will not be adding speakers to the doors.
I have an Android 10 touch screen radio that I will install in a floor console that I pulled from another Mitsubishi truck
Instead of door or dash speakers, I'll use some box speakers near the seat.
Remember KLH systems? I have a set of their speakers that are small enough to put on the floor in front of the seat.
They make some amazing sound for their size.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,413 Posts
Max- how about overhead= build center console- use two 1" tweeters, two 3" mids and a 4x6 base and hang it down the centerline overhead.keeps behind seat clear for other items- like the New York ****head remover(Louieville slugger) or a jug of water/antifreeze and misc. crap.

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Max- how about overhead= build center console- use two 1" tweeters, two 3" mids and a 4x6 base and hang it down the centerline overhead.keeps behind seat clear for other items- like the New York ****head remover(Louieville slugger) or a jug of water/antifreeze and misc. crap.
Thanks for the suggestion. ^^^ Didn't think of that.

I'd love to booby trap the bish and blow stuff up....
Like Boom or something.
Smash window and blam.

Don't even have to be there. Sweep up mess afterwards...

I've been ripped off so many times it's like I'm almost used to it.

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
Cool as hell

Reactions: Mad Max

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
^^^ Thanks W.

Since I have the day off today...
I may have mentioned that Mitsubishi engines have a tiny third valve for emissions reduction. They are also a POS.
After many miles, the seals keeping oil out wear badly enough to cause oil consumption and a huge cloud of smoke after idling for a few minutes.
I bought a kit that eliminates this "Jet" valve and am going to try and install it today.
It involves removing the valve cover, then the cam retainer/rocker arm shafts, then unscrewing the "Jet" valves and installing the blanking plugs.
I am (sort of) sure that this will solve the smoke issue, but you never know.
Mitsubishis have a pretty strong reputation for smoking due to crappy rings.
I'll take pictures of the process and post for any of you that may cross paths with an older Mitsubishi pickup that smokes.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts