S-10 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,413 Posts
Never too much stuff till you can not pull INTO the driveway without shuffling 2 or 3 or..... you get the point.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,413 Posts
Currently mine packed with 7 plus a utility trailer and a bayliner... its the anchor at the moment....

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well....
I do have 2 big barns and a toy shop packed with crap. I even have a 52' tractor/trailer box full.
I also have rental space that my TVR, Dune Buggy, BMW, Dakota, Barbie truck, Blah blah blah.
I still have a Nissan Frontier in Saipan for Christ's sake.

Someday the light will shine and everything will be cool. I'd quit my job and work on my projects, but I get paid way too well.

Pants, I'll donate some of my Ford stuff to you. I have plenty.
Mo, you are correct. The GM 6 bolt pattern is the same. The problem - the hub on early Japanese rigs is huge. You would have to open the center hole to have the wheels fit.
Funny too... all of the Jap stuff has the same center hole until the 80s.
I
I bought Isuzu wheels to fit this truck. I also did the same with my Nissans, early Toyos, Mazdas and Isuzus.

The Japanese were really smart. They copied many Brit, US and other foreigners, but improved on the design. Look at the early Toyota Land Cruisers. Almost a direct copy of the early Chevy sixes, bullet proof.
AND - they go for maximum $$ now. A nice (not perfect) early Land Cruiser can go for $10K+!! WTF

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
^^^ Jay, I know the feeling too well. That's why I bought a "Gentleman's" farm.
Neighbors are far away and lots of storage,
It's a damn disease. I swear.

·
time to get cereal
4,640 Posts
My wife is starting to get concerned, she doesn't drive and I'm about to get the 4th vehicle. Of course, I promised this is the last one...

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
^^^ Ha ha ha 😜
You have the disease...
I promise sweetheart
And another shows up in the driveway

Maybe part of the reason I'm not married anymore.

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I've noticed that this truck smoke a little.

Mitsubishi built these engines with a "Jet" valve.
Honda also had a similar system in the mid seventies.

The head has 2 regular valves, and a third tiny (Jet) valve.
The regular intake valves are fed a lean mixture while the Jet valve gets a richer charge.
This means it has a 3 barrel carb; there is a small passage for the jet valve and 2 venturis for the standard section of the carb.
According to Mitsubishi, this reduces emissions - maybe when new, but aging creates lots of problems and at minimum - the carb goes to crap.
The smoking problem is created by the Jet valves when the oil seals wear out. And they always do.
I've owned several Mitsubishis that had this problem. The first time I replaced the seals which involves removing the cam retaining assembly, unscrewing the Jet valve and taking it apart and replacing the seals.
After that, and since I've replaced every carb with a Weber on every POS Mitsubishi I've owned, I disassemble the jet valve and weld it shut.
No more smoke.

Oh, and the increase in performance with the carb and Jet vale elimination is quite surprising.

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Just because:

I'm waiting for the header to be ceramic coated.
While I'm waiting, I bought this - 2.5" pipe coming from the header to the 2.5" high flow cat, then to shrink to 2.25" pipe into a Spintech muffler. First time I' trying a Spintech.
Anyone ever had one of these?
It wasn't cheap, but it's stainless and hand made.

Spintech

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks for the note Mo
I generally try to park way away form everyone.
And... there is always an ahole that will park right next to you even though there are sht tons of empty spaces.
This rig has a few dings and chips on it, but considering it's original 42 year old paint, it's snot bad

Dragon,
I've thought about several different swaps. Since this is technically a "Dodge" (NOT), I thought about building a MOPAR 340 with a six pack like the first gen 'Cudas and doing the exchange with a 5 speed.
But... I sort of want to keep it stock, add a 5 speed and do some other retro mods that don't detract from originality.
I'm keeping all of the original parts, although I don't think this will ever reach a level of "collectable".
It's just a survivor that you don't see anymore.
Even chix dig it... :p

·
time to get cereal
4,640 Posts
I might have to look into that muffler... trying to figure out if I can get my 2.2L to sound anything like a Ford Kent Crossflow. I love the sound of that motor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How’s the Spintech sound on that little motor? I’m scared to do anything that’ll make my little 2.5 louder in the S10. Can’t imagine it sounding good but I’m sure this Mitsubishi is a different animal with his sounds LOL

·
Registered
367 Posts
That’s thing is soooo sweet! I can’t imagine doing anything much more then you’ve already done. It’s **** near a perfect truck! I’d keep it just the way it is.

·
Boozebag
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks Kawaka... I was planning to keep it as close to stock as possible.
The main improvements are more like retro mods than changing the "feel/look" of the truck.
The current muffler is a replacement with a 1.5" tailpipe. It sounds like the exhaust is welded shut. I can't imagine the restriction for performance it is making.

89Dime, I am picking up the header from the ceramic coating place today. I will install the Spintech soon.
If you want a decent exhaust to replace the stock S10 garbage...
CHEVROLET S10 Summit Racing SUM-680031 Summit Racing® Cat-Back Exhaust Systems | Summit Racing
Don't let the size fool you. It works perfectly with a 2.5. I have installed this system on 4 of my S10s. The 2.5 trux sound excellent with this system
It doesn't sound at all like a rice mobile. It also looks completely stock. Fits like the original and is not loud. If you stand on it, the sound is noticeable, but not offensive.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Seems like a good price for what you get on the exhaust. I’ve never done anything like that so I can’t imagine what kind of power difference I’d give.

But yeah, that truck is cool. What’s the mpg? Did you get mpg b fore the carb swap?

41 - 60 of 94 Posts