S-10 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,994 Posts
View attachment 350225
This is next... With plated/slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads

View attachment 350226

Instead of replacing the leaky stock mechanical fuel pump, I went with an e pump. Mounted low on the frame, so it won't have to fight gravity. When I return to my shop, it will go next to the fuel tank on a lower plane, so it will be pushing juice, not pulling.

View attachment 350236

FTW... I don't know why these pix go sideways.
Anyway, Installed this OEM AM/FM Multiplex (remember that name?). It was acting funky, skipping stations and other stupid stuff. I don't know how many radios I've installed, but they usually can ground through the antenna.
Not this POS. The speakers don't even have internal grounding. They ground to the radio enclosure.

I finally figured out why the radio was acting up.. Everything is chassis grounded! I added a serious chassis ground and it's all cool now.

Pick n Pull 50% sale next weekend.
I hope the Disc brake and A/C improvements will happen
Fixed...

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
^^^ Gracias Hotstuff!

Here's what I had to do to make this radio work...
Since I had no wiring diagram to go by, I had to reverse wire the POS. I found the correct plug on line, but the wires were all pinned for another radio.
So, I may have mentioned this previously, I used a multi meter to trace all of the wiring and re-pinned the plug.
This unit is so primitive, it doesn't have individual grounds for the Speakers. They are grounded on the radio chassis.
The internal light only illuminates when the headlights are turned on. Took me a few minutes to figure that out.
Anyway, I grounded the radio to the truck and it works correctly now.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Tomorrow is the 50% off sale at Pick n Pull for those that have a membership. I'm going to play hooky from work, and hopefully bag the upgrade front disc brake assemblies and the complete A/C assembly for this rig.
I saw a Weber 38/38 that I'll also bag - if it's still there.
Pix shortly.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I love how the first sale in a year they decide to do the weekend I'm travelling. Good luck out there!

·
time to get cereal
5,166 Posts
Hehe, I'm already taking a vacation day tomorrow. It's just too bad the S10 selection at my PNP right now is pretty terrible.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
^^^ I am seeing fewer and fewer S10s in any yard.
Stock up now, S10s are slowly going the way of the Dodo bird

I am floored that I found 2 of these Mitsubishi POSs. I have only seen one on.the road in the past 25 years!

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Well, went to the Upull and bought 2 Webers, the almost complete A/C assembly - the compressor and mounting brackets were for a different engine. I have a feeling that I'll be looking for a long time - to find the right parts.

In Nevada, everything is dusty. Lots of desert here. All of the A/C parts had serious dust on them, so I went to a self service car wash and washed all of the parts.

I also grabbed an updated disc brake assembly, but didn't have the right wrenches to take the passenger side. I had a 12" adjustable wrench, but it wouldn't fit on the 2 castle nuts. It hit against the steering spindle.
So, I went to cardboard freight and bought $25 worth of wrenches that I'll probably use only once - maybe twice.

I love living in hotels...:(

·
Registered
405 Posts
What vehicles did you get the Weber’s off? Old Toyota? I’ve been looking into getting one but can’t pull the trigger on spending the money for a new one. A used one and rebuild kit might be the ticket!

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
What vehicles did you get the Weber’s off? Old Toyota? I’ve been looking into getting one but can’t pull the trigger on spending the money for a new one. A used one and rebuild kit might be the ticket!
Yowa, Webers are pretty much universal. I should say they mount similarly. They have different choke assemblies - coolant heated, manual or electric. All you need is the adapter plate to mount the carb on any rig.
I have a new EMPI 32/36 - which is a knock off of a Weber. I had it on this truck. but decided to go to a 38/38. I also bought another Chinese knock off, which works very well. I have a Weber 38/38 I bought at the Upull. It has the adapter plate for a Mazda with it.
What are you going to put it on?
I have seen the plate kits for under $50, the air filter is about $20 and the throttle cable brackets usually come with the mount plate.
I have a bunch of different adapter plates, but where are they? Yep, at home. Where else?

I may be able to help you out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
@Mad Max I wanted to try it on my Jimmy to replace the electrical crappy carb. Hopefully it’ll run decent after. Ultimately tho, I want one in my s10 since Its my daily. Trying to get the 14 city mpgs up.

Id rather have a authentic Weber to get the full experience. Would hate to think “what if”. Not sure what model to get ether. If I find ine in a pick a part then that model it is. Haha. But if I spend the $350+, I’d like to do more research.

Anyway, I’m debating on the carb or putting the money towards another Project. I still need to get the Jimmy running too so ya know.

Yowakawaka

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Just for laughs...
You probably saw that I went with a Weber on this rig.
I started with an EMPI (VW performance company) Weber knock off. Worked so much better than the stock Mikuni POS. I was getting about 17 MPG.
Figured I'd gain some bag by going to a 38/38, so I bought a knock off unit. Turned out that it wouldn't adjust the idle mixture, so it ran super rich at idle. Fuel mileage went to 13 MPG.

Bought another 38/38. It ran super.

Mileage went from 13 MPG to 17 MPG, then 18 MPG. Last time I filled the truck, the mileage was 20.8 MPG!!
I don't get it. Bigger carb, better mileage?
I do (really) know - the efficiency factor has gone way up. The engine runs more efficiently now.
It also gained a little in the top end.

Oh, and I bought the correct idle mixture screw for the non idle 38/38 and it works fine now.

Yowa, I think you will be completely surprised by how much better your truck will run. You can remove the bogchester and install a Weber, when it comes to SMOG the baby, put the original back on and have the test.
I bet the Weber would pass SMOG too, but the inspector wouldn't pass a non- original carb. I think you can apply for a waiver - IIRC.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I’m gonna get it. It’s too hard to resist. But like I said, can’t pull the trigger just yet. I’ll let you know when I do tho. Gonna need help in what one to pick.

Is the MPG your mentioned highway? I got 17 highway. Can only imagine what it could be.

Anyway, I’ll give you your thread back.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
^^^ The thread is also here to help out!
I used to recommend the 32/36. Not too long ago, Weber started importing the 38/38.
I mentioned earlier in this thread - I converted this rig to a 32/36. Mileage improved from 14/15 to 16/17 overall.
I figured I'd try out the 38/38 since the knock offs are so cheap.
Mileage keeps going up. It's very strange,
It's at 20.8 now.
I'm going to fill the tank soon, so I will be verifying that this isn't an anomaly.

Performance didn't make a big jump, but the higher cruising speed range improved.

I do know this much - you will see an instant overall improvement if you go for the Weber.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Filled this POS up yesterday - 20.6 MPG.
Some short freeway and in town.
Bigger carb, better mileage (?!)

Wonder what it will do at all freeway...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I’d guess 24-25.

I was think it would be cool to have one of those air/fuel gauges with an o2 sensor and have a knob that you could spin inside the carb to adjust the screw. Just read the gauge and adjust. Always running at peak ratio.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
I mentioned ^^^ up there, that I bought upgraded disc brake assemblies.
I was over on the Mighty Max forum and saw a thread that mentioned 1997 Mitsubishi Montero dual piston calipers are a direct fit to the earlier Mighty Max spindle units.
Yeah, spent $160 on rebuilt Montero calipers. I now need different brake pads.
I also bought plated/slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads. Too bad the pads don't fit the dual piston units. Boo.:(

I hope this all works out...
Now, I'll have to advertise this extra crap on eBay.
Likelihood that it sells? ZERO.

221 - 240 of 243 Posts