S-10 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 243 Posts

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·

We ate at the fish joint on the water (Crab Pot). It was seafood overload.
Haven't had a seafood extravaganza like that since Baton Rouge Craw fish lunacy.
Worth every minute.
CBR600 - The place was quiet because of COVID, but it was still way cool. My first time there.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 · (Edited)
After skrewing with the tach/speedo cluster, I finally installed it and it works.
I replaced all of the illumination lights with LEDs, and installed the original speedo to keep the correct mileage.
I bought this on eBay a short time ago. It's perfect.
I was trying to find the factory trigger wire from the coil, but... after about an hour with a mulit meter and the dash totally apart, no trigger.
Thank Mitsubishhi (DSM) for being so damn cheap. Save 1/10 of a penny by not installing the wire.
I had to add a white (correct color) trigger wire and hide it so it doesn't look like a hack.
I took this pic while rolling in the hotel parking lot.

Why the hell does this always come out sideways???

Please help Hotp!

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Oh, forgot to mention...
This tach gauge cluster doesn't have oil pressure or alternator dummy lights in it (The non-tach cluster did).
Apparently, when the tach gauge option was selected, DSM added a small console in front of the shifter that houses an amp and oil pressure gauge. It could have also held an optional cassette player.
I found one of the consoles in a Upull while I was in Cali. It's been cut, but I am going to clean it up and install it soon.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I found a Mitsubishi factory stereo on eBay a while ago.

It didn't have a connection plug or any wiring at all.
After a crap ton of research, I found an aftermarket wiring plug that fit, but it was not pinned correctly for this radio.
I couldn't find a wiring diagram on the webz after hours of looking.
I did see the same radio in an 82 Mitsubishi Sapporo on the net. This gave a clue about what year it was made.
Anyway, I had to use a multi meter and trace each circuit for each speaker channel, power and illumination and pin the plug correctly. That was lots of fun... no.
I connected it to a power source and it worked! Surprised the hell out of me.

This is what it finally looked like after re pin.
The radio that was in the truck was an AM unit. I tried to post a pic, but my computer flipped out and I couldn't load it.
It had 4 connector wires.
I went to the local Goodwill store and found a set of high end Yamaha box speakers that I will use temporarily until I can find some way to install speakers that don't look hacked in. The box speakers are 10" long x 4" wide and are 5" tall. They will fit at the front of the seat and be out of the way.
At least this radio will look like it came with the truck. No dash cut.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
I am completely surprised!
This radio actually sounds pretty good.
I'm pretty sure it's because of the high end Yamaha box speakers, but, whatever.
They actually fit right against the front of the bench seat and fire right up at the driver/passenger.
They have great bass for smaller speakers.
Being in a mountain "bowl" (Carson City) the FM signal sometimes is in and out.
Meh...
If my computer will cooperate, more pix.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
I have been driving this truck for about 4 months now.
Having lived all of its life in a California desert, the window channel felts were pretty far gone. This meant that the driver window had a mad whistling at cruising speed.
Went to eBay (what else is new) and found replacement felts in Thailand (!) I figured it would take months for them to arrive here.
Well, 5 days later, they were here. Free shipping to boot!
I installed the driver side last night - and - almost silence. All I hear now is the radio and the loud(ish) exhaust.
Funny how something that small can make a good difference.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,485 Posts
hey Max- take a look at Year One for a correctly faced radio- they did have shaft style available with everything modern behind a correct period faceplate- am/fm ,hd and bluetooth and some had an aux jack line you could hide in the ash tray.

Reactions: Mad Max

·
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!
3,713 Posts
I have been driving this truck for about 4 months now.
Having lived all of its life in a California desert, the window channel felts were pretty far gone. This meant that the driver window had a mad whistling at cruising speed.
Went to eBay (what else is new) and found replacement felts in Thailand (!) I figured it would take months for them to arrive here.
Well, 5 days later, they were here. Free shipping to boot!
I installed the driver side last night - and - almost silence. All I hear now is the radio and the loud(ish) exhaust.
Funny how something that small can make a good difference.
Funny...I ordered new window channels and sweeps for my ford from LMC a few weeks ago. Big label on the package - ‘MADE IN THAILAND’. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if they’re from the same company, and I just got reamed for 2-3x the price by LMC.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
^^^ Pantaloons - LMC has the beef, but they charge up the bunghole - as you found out. They aren't shy about charging and they spike you on shipping
But... they have stuff most other places don't.
Thailand has a huge rubber industry. .

·
time to get cereal
5,166 Posts
LMC at least has free paper catalogs that are pretty clear as far as what you will be getting, and the website works really well too for ordering parts. I'm not sure about the customer service, but I'm sure it's probably better than some random seller on eBay.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Went to a Upull in Sparks, NV yesterday.
Unbelievable, they had 2 of these trux.
One is a '94 which has improved (similar to the later Blazer disc upgrade) disc brakes.
The other has a complete A/C system.
I guess I found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...

The Upull is having a 50% off sale Memorial day weekend, so I only bought an old skool Alpine cassette deck.
It's the only one I've seen in any JY vehicle that is complete and not all bombed out.

I'll visit the Upull next week and (hopefully) by hot season I'll have A/C and better brakes.

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Weird -
Last time I checked fuel mileage I got 18 MPG. This is including reefing on it, and a few high speed freeway cruises.

I installed a knock off Weber 38/38 which is quite a bit bigger than the 32/36, and even with the smaller carb, the best was around 16 - 17 MPG.
I'm going to try a serious attempt for mileage, like not getting my right foot stuck in the Weber.
Maybe this POS is capable of 20+ MPG mileage.

I'm not too concerned with gas prices, but $4+/gallon is getting a little stoopid. (n)

·
Registered
405 Posts
4 bucks doesn’t seem too bad when you see 5 bucks around LA!

Enjoying the thread. Keep posting photos

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
May 21...
Got up this morning, it was 38*.
Gotta love this weather.
The mountains all around Carson City were white again.
It was just a little too warm in the city for snow, but the mountains were good for it.
Not a fan of hot weather. Last year in Cali (August), I was working in 107* heat.
No me gusta...

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
^^^ Ha, Remember, I lived in Marblehead for a lot of years...

·
Boozebag
9,803 Posts

This is next... With plated/slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads

Instead of replacing the leaky stock mechanical fuel pump, I went with an e pump. Mounted low on the frame, so it won't have to fight gravity. When I return to my shop, it will go next to the fuel tank on a lower plane, so it will be pushing juice, not pulling.

FTW... I don't know why these pix go sideways.
Anyway, Installed this OEM AM/FM Multiplex (remember that name?). It was acting funky, skipping stations and other stupid stuff. I don't know how many radios I've installed, but they usually can ground through the antenna.
Not this POS. The speakers don't even have internal grounding. They ground to the radio enclosure.

I finally figured out why the radio was acting up.. Everything is chassis grounded! I added a serious chassis ground and it's all cool now.

Pick n Pull 50% sale next weekend.
I hope the Disc brake and A/C improvements will happen

201 - 220 of 243 Posts