S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched but couldn't find what i was looking for in this category. Wondering if anyone has this setup or ideas how this particular intake would work?
Check it out on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8055532811&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I want to remove the factory shit but not install a intake that goes to the factory location to try and reduce clutter. Just thought by going this route it would make it easier to work on other things under the hood when needed. Just nort sure if this would even fit right on a 99. If anyone has any pics that would be great.

Thanks, BR

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
All that does is replace the airbox where the filter is. Pretty useless on a 2.2 since the entire intake tract is a maze on the 98+ trucks. Get a full kit that goes from the throttle body. You can get them for like $50 if you buy the no name filter. I would spend the extra for a K&N filter as the cheap ones are JUNK. Mine fell off the base! I picked mine up from Intake Power on ebay. I ended up getting an AEM dry flow filter for it to replace the no name junk.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zeeke98 said:
All that does is replace the airbox where the filter is. Pretty useless on a 2.2 since the entire intake tract is a maze on the 98+ trucks. Get a full kit that goes from the throttle body. You can get them for like $50 if you buy the no name filter. I would spend the extra for a K&N filter as the cheap ones are JUNK. Mine fell off the base! I picked mine up from Intake Power on ebay. I ended up getting an AEM dry flow filter for it to replace the no name junk.
I guess i was just looking at it as being able to use it straight off the throttle body and fit???

BR

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
That would defeat the purpose of a COLD air intake. You'd be sucking in all the hot air off the engine and it wouldn't fit there anyways.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
Zeeke98 said:
That would defeat the purpose of a COLD air intake. You'd be sucking in all the hot air off the engine and it wouldn't fit there anyways.
And you think any of those ebay intakes are going to do any good?:rotf:

To the one who was asking, if your just wanting to make it easier to work on then your still going to have to remove what ever intake you get. Take this advice, those chrome intakes are going to do nothing buy heat the air, and keep the heat in. There is a difference between Aluminum (which doesn't hold heat long) and chrome plated steel (which holds heat).

You won't see any true gains in power with a different intake, but if you really want one then go with Volant, K&N, or another brand that uses ABS plastic.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
FYI K&N is using Aluminum on a lot of it's intakes now. The one I have is aluminum and NOT chrome steel. ANYTHING is an improvement over that POS stock intake setup. There was a test in a magazine about different intake materials. They found that the air doesn't stay in the tube long enough to actually pick up any noticeable temperature gains. If you're REALY that worried about it you can get an intake heat shield that laces over the tubing to reflect heat. Fram is now offering cold air intakes and theirs are made of polished aluminum too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zeeke98 said:
I understand what you are saying but i don't think that coming straight off the throttle body there would be that big a differance in air temp being most of the full setups have the filter just sitting next to the radiator on the driver's side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8056652060&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI

Take a look at the intake again. The reason i thought that it was made to come straight off the throttle body is that it comes with a evacuation tube which wouldn't be needed if it was made to replace the factory filter box??? You would just have to add some wiring to the air temp sensor.

BR

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
Zeeke98 said:
FYI K&N is using Aluminum on a lot of it's intakes now. The one I have is aluminum and NOT chrome steel. ANYTHING is an improvement over that POS stock intake setup.
You might want to do a little homework, ABS plastic is a lot cheaper then aluminum. If you sat around and made a mold with ABS plastic you could have the same intake for under $35.

There is no improvement over the stock intake setup, I've seen with with my own eyes at the track. There was no difference. Your aren't going to get any more air into the engine due to the limits of the clyinder head.

Zeek98 said:
There was a test in a magazine about different intake materials. They found that the air doesn't stay in the tube long enough to actually pick up any noticeable temperature gains.
No, but the IAT will read a higher temperature and I've seen plenty of trucks where they have destroyed the sensor because of the chrome plated ebay intakes.

Zeek98 said:
If you're REALY that worried about it you can get an intake heat shield that laces over the tubing to reflect heat. Fram is now offering cold air intakes and theirs are made of polished aluminum too.
That sounds like its about as useful as a TB spacer.:rotf:

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
If you say so Mr Genious.

·
lazy and broke
597 Posts
a freer flowing intake will help with performance, when i put one on i noticed the difference. and it sounds better too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts