S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I took my starter in to get tested and they told me it works like brand new! :haha:

Took forever to get the thing out but luckily it was pretty easy to get it back in. Makes sense yeah, haha.

So anyways, good thing is I threw in a new battery and the thing cranked over! But she wouldnt start so I bought 3 things. Sea foam, fuel moisture remover and starter fluid. The trucks been sitting for two years so the gas is old and I should probably dump it but its almost full and thats probably like $100 worth of gas so I figured I would just try to run it.

Anyways, I dumped the gas moisture remover and sea foam in the tank and shook the truck around to mix it up. Then I sprayed starter fluid in the carb and it fired up! But I believe its cutting out as soon as the starter fluid runs out.

So from what I just read, its possibly the fuel pump but its better to change the fuel relay first. Is this correct? I know I have two year old gas but thing is, I've had a car that sat over a year and it ran fine so I'm going to just try to run it with the gas thats in it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I wouldnt recommend running it with the gas thats in there.. I know its a lot of money in gas, but gas separates and can damage other things passed your fuel tank if you run it. fuel relay is step 1.

·
peace and big boobs to u
6,026 Posts
go under the truck and disconnect the fuel line from the fuel filter put a short piece of hose on it then turn on the key and see if you get gas flow from the tank. your probably going to want to replace the filter anyway

p.s. put a gallon milk jug or similar on to the hose so you don't flood the area with gas

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so heres what I did!

1. I tried switching the fuel pump relay with the a/c one that was right next to it. Not sure if the a/c one works but anyways, it still didnt start up.

2. I bought a new fuel filter and tried to get the old one off but the nut on the engine side of the filter would not come off. I PB blasted it but its still not coming off. It looks and feels like I'm about to breaking the fuel line and so I end up backing off. I wedged something between the filter and frame but it just turns the filter with the line.

3. I did unplug the fuel line on the fuel filter on the gas tank side and gas pored out. I didnt crank the engine but it still pored out...

So my question is, is the gas supposed to just pore out on its own?

Does the pump make noise as the key is in on position? Or do I have to be cranking?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Okay so heres what I did!

1. I tried switching the fuel pump relay with the a/c one that was right next to it. Not sure if the a/c one works but anyways, it still didnt start up.

2. I bought a new fuel filter and tried to get the old one off but the nut on the engine side of the filter would not come off. I PB blasted it but its still not coming off. It looks and feels like I'm about to breaking the fuel line and so I end up backing off. I wedged something between the filter and frame but it just turns the filter with the line.

3. I did unplug the fuel line on the fuel filter on the gas tank side and gas pored out. I didnt crank the engine but it still pored out...

So my question is, is the gas supposed to just pore out on its own?

Does the pump make noise as the key is in on position? Or do I have to be cranking?
THE pump should make a buzzing noise when the key is turned to the on position, mine being new is loud as hell

gas will settle in the line and its common for it to flow out of the fuel filter, there will be some left in the fuel filter as well

on that fuel filter put a wrench on the fuel filter side of the nut and a backup on the fuel line side of the nut it will come off this way without breaking the line..

PLEASE take that old gas out before running it its not good after a year especially in your climate, the stuff pretty much turns into turpintine or something close to kerosene. you dont go and put kerosene in a new car do ya?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts