S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever tried putting a non-ZR2 bed on a ZR2? I have a 98 ZR2 pickup, found a really nice 6' bed.. cheap. It looks like the wheel openings are smaller than the ZR2, so the flares won't fit. Correct? Does anyone know for sure?

·
Professional Insultant
5,909 Posts
Yep, it'll bolt right up, but it wont have the welded lip to install your ZR2 flares.

I think the rear openings sizes are the same, the front openings on a ZR2 are a little different than a regular s10 (the arch is higher)

If it's a really good deal on the bed, you could buy some bushwhacker flares on ebay just for the back and mount them to the regular bed. They look nearly identical.

Check to see if the price of the bed + new bushwacker flares are still a good deal.

Here is a rear set for $200 dollars. You might find a better deal on them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/41024-11-Bushwacker-Extend-A-Fender-Flares-Chevy-S10-1994-2004-Rear-Pair-/290707565829?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43af856d05&vxp=mtr

·
The Vehicle Dynamics Bro.
4,694 Posts
a good amount of cutting, drilling and welding if you want to reuse the ZR2 stuff... it can be done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I measuired across the wheel opening from the front to back and it looks like it's about 2.25" bigger on the ZR2.. so the flares from my ZR2 bed won't fit without cutting the arch more open (thanks badmatt), but there would be enough material there to screw into if I just bent the metal out to form that welded-on lip. That's probably what you were talking about. There's more than enough room for the 31s in there as-is. Sure would be a lot eaasier to get those Bushwackers (thanks TokoDragon) as long as they look okay... Hmm.. maybe you'll see my flares for sale soon.

Thanks for the tips. Good to know I have alternatives!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thats what i did. The truck i bought bed was rusted very bad above flares, to where i could stick my forearm through it. Found excellent rust free bed in wv, a miracle in itself $300, then installed the bushwacker flares since the ZR2 flares were busted.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thought the wheel wells were a bit bigger.. could be wrong

·
4,694 Posts
heres a pic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.. I scrapped the rusty ZR2 bed in favor of th non-ZR2. Haven't decided yet if I'll widen the wheel well opening and create a lip of just put Bushweacker flares on it. Probably the latter.

·
4,694 Posts
id just reuse the stock flares and trim and add a lip... cheaper...

·
4,694 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did one side today. The hardest part was taking a cutter to a perfectly good bed. The whole thing is pretty easy once I decided to go through with it.

It brought back memories of cutting out rear wheel wells on my 911 to do a turbo body conversion.. once you're beyond the point of no return, it's just another piece of metal, then the feeling like you're gonna puke goes away. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts