S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just had a Walbro TU429 installed a few weeks and 1000 miles ago. The pump has a noisy prime cycle that seems to vary in volume and sound depending on fuel level, temperature and voltage. Sometimes (but not often) when I am parked in the garage, in addition to making the normal whine noise, I hear like a "bark" noise coming from the pump that continues for a couple seconds after the pump stops priming. The fuel pressure must be okay because it starts up fine everytime. The pump is pretty much silent when the engine is running (not the same as the OEM pump that was whining all the time). I would have to put my ear in the wheelwell just to barely be able to hear it. Do I have a real problem with this new pump? I bought it from fuel-pumps.net for $138. It seems to be a real Walbro.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My Walbro is loud at start up and shutdown, but has
never failed me. It doesn't "bark" like yours though.

I buy all my Walbro pumps from here = no worries..

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

Far as I'm concerned this is the only place to get them..

You might look at this.

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/hptu.html

I do not see a 429 listed, but I'm not looking real close tonight.
The funny thing is it seems that it is only "barking" when I am parked in the garage after a very long trip. The last time it made that noise was 3 weeks ago in the same place. Maybe it is just the echo or something? I don't remember it doing it elsewhere. The tank is like 2/3 full now. I just cycled the key a few times and it wasn't doing the barking part. Only the loud prime cycle. Since it is late at night and opening the garage is a noisy process, I didn't start the truck to see how noisy the pump was with the engine on. Usually, I can barely hear the "hum" in the wheelwell. Sometimes it is a bit louder when the tank is around 1/2 (I never let it go below 1/2 unless I can't help it. Then I put gas in it ASAP).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The funny thing is it seems that it is only "barking" when I am parked in the garage after a very long trip. The last time it made that noise was 3 weeks ago in the same place. Maybe it is just the echo or something? I don't remember it doing it elsewhere. The tank is like 2/3 full now. I just cycled the key a few times and it wasn't doing the barking part. Only the loud prime cycle. Since it is late at night and opening the garage is a noisy process, I didn't start the truck to see how noisy the pump was with the engine on. Usually, I can barely hear the "hum" in the wheelwell. Sometimes it is a bit louder when the tank is around 1/2 (I never let it go below 1/2 unless I can't help it. Then I put gas in it ASAP).
Based on all of this, is this something I should worry about and possibly consider having the pump replaced again?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I can't hear any barking anymore (no garage with concrete floor, just outdoors), but I do hear a louder hum when I go near the rear left wheelwell when I am at 1/2 a tank and it seems to go away when I put more gas and an additive in the tank. Does the fuel itself affect the lubrication of the pump? It seems to quiet down a bit when the tank is full and/or the tank has Lucas or Techron in it. It does start up fine on the first time other than the one or two times the battery was a bit low and I didn't hold the key long enough (.1 of a second not long enough). Maybe about time for some Rislone and a tuneup. I am at 95,500. The fuel pump was replaced about 2k miles/one month ago.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
The fuel is used to cool the pump....

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fuel is used to cool the pump....
But does the fuel actually touch internals of the pump that additives could touch? Could low-quality fuel damage the pump's internal parts? Is the fuel cooling the pump the reason why it isn't a good idea to run the pump below 1/2 a tank? That was probably what caused my last pump to fail. I let it go just below 1/4 a tank the night before it was scheduled to be replaced and the pump failed in the shop's parking lot after I got it there. It was making a weaker noise when the engine was running and it took longer to start just before it failed completely.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Yeah, the fuel touches the internals on the last one I had apart..... Lubrication and Cooling. Thats why if you let gas sit in the tank for too long it will jell up cause the pump to turn slower causing harder starts....... Also the bearings will wear out causing more drag over time also.

Hope you used a good pump, I.E. AC DELCO/ WALBRO etc.....

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the fuel touches the internals on the last one I had apart..... Lubrication and Cooling. Thats why if you let gas sit in the tank for too long it will jell up cause the pump to turn slower causing harder starts....... Also the bearings will wear out causing more drag over time also.

Hope you used a good pump, I.E. AC DELCO/ WALBRO etc.....
It's a Walbro from www.fuel-pumps.net. This is my everything truck. Fuel never sits in the tank for too long. Some trips mean the fuel never sits in the tank for more than a few hours. Good to know this info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts